Killers "Tranquilize"

JamnJodiJamnJodi Posts: 16
edited November 2007 in Other Music
My first impression of this band left me numb, they must have been having an off night, maybe it was me that was off, but I never got into these guys until I saw them on a sundance special "live at abbey road" (God, I love that channel) that's when I realized I was wrong. They really are a band of substance. I wish i had saved the episode... Then I checked out their new single "tranquilize"...omg.. it is amazing!! I feel like such a knob for writing them off as another one of "those" bands. Check out tranquilize on you tube. would love to hear feedback from the jamily.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JamnJodi wrote:
    My first impression of this band left me numb, they must have been having an off night, maybe it was me that was off, but I never got into these guys until I saw them on a sundance special "live at abbey road" (God, I love that channel) that's when I realized I was wrong. They really are a band of substance. I wish i had saved the episode... Then I checked out their new single "tranquilize"...omg.. it is amazing!! I feel like such a knob for writing them off as another one of "those" bands. Check out tranquilize on you tube. would love to hear feedback from the jamily.

I just listened to it and it's great.

I must say, I was like you with regards to the Killers. Didn't give them a chance because I thought they were emo or whatever. But, I do love them now. Definitely like the 2nd album better than the first. I'm glad that they are good band that is popular...nothing wrong with that.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    it's fun to watch the hype, the backlash, and the reality. first a whole series of "the" bands becomes the new things... strokes, hives, vines, killers, etc. everyone talks about how their catchy sounds is a revitalization of rock. ridiculous. then there is the backlash. everyone is too cool to even consider listening to a band that is hyped and thus dismisses them out of hand and refuses to listen just becos other people are listening to them. then the hype fades, the fervor of the backlash wanes, and suddenly there is reality. a bunch of good bands who were unjustly deified and unfairly crucified that can now be judged on the merits of their music, which are oftentimes worthy.

the depressing thing is sometimes this kills a band's career... blind melon, spin doctors, hanson, silverchair. a lot of bands don't survive the backlash even though they should
  • it's fun to watch the hype, the backlash, and the reality. first a whole series of "the" bands becomes the new things... strokes, hives, vines, killers, etc. everyone talks about how their catchy sounds is a revitalization of rock. ridiculous. then there is the backlash. everyone is too cool to even consider listening to a band that is hyped and thus dismisses them out of hand and refuses to listen just becos other people are listening to them. then the hype fades, the fervor of the backlash wanes, and suddenly there is reality. a bunch of good bands who were unjustly deified and unfairly crucified that can now be judged on the merits of their music, which are oftentimes worthy.

the depressing thing is sometimes this kills a band's career... blind melon, spin doctors, hanson, silverchair. a lot of bands don't survive the backlash even though they should

such a great way of putting it! so true.

then there's this whole other "x" factor of people that claim to know music but only listen to their FM radios and MTV...these people will say things like:

"who's this?" in some snobby tone when you put in the new Arcade Fire.

GET AWAY FROM ME! What is it with these people? they'll just eat what you give them, without ever thinking they can go out and find something really good to eat on their own.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
    such a great way of putting it! so true.

then there's this whole other "x" factor of people that claim to know music but only listen to their FM radios and MTV...these people will say things like:

"who's this?" in some snobby tone when you put in the new Arcade Fire.

GET AWAY FROM ME! What is it with these people? they'll just eat what you give them, without ever thinking they can go out and find something really good to eat on their own.

those people bother me less than the people who act like your taste in music is an indication of who you are as a human. ie. i'm too cool to listen to the killers and if you do you're a pathetic emo person and beneath me. i'll take ignorance over arrogance. some people just don't care that much about music and it's not worth the effort for them to seek things out. there's nothing wrong with that.
  • it's fun to watch the hype, the backlash, and the reality. first a whole series of "the" bands becomes the new things... strokes, hives, vines, killers, etc. everyone talks about how their catchy sounds is a revitalization of rock. ridiculous. then there is the backlash. everyone is too cool to even consider listening to a band that is hyped and thus dismisses them out of hand and refuses to listen just becos other people are listening to them. then the hype fades, the fervor of the backlash wanes, and suddenly there is reality. a bunch of good bands who were unjustly deified and unfairly crucified that can now be judged on the merits of their music, which are oftentimes worthy.

Did you say Hanson? U still a fan lol
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
    Did you say Hanson? U still a fan lol

i did. those kids are talented. i dont own any of their albums, but i saw them with my gf and they jammed more than any band i've seen since the black crowes. very bluesy and classic rock, with vocal harmonies that rival csny. it's a shame they had managers who made their first album so sickeningly disney that nobody would ever be willing to listen to them seriously again. they sure as hell beat maroon 5 and john mayer.