What is the big deal about.....

zootownzootown Posts: 666
edited June 2008 in Other Music
The Foo Fighters. dont get me wrong, I like dave grohl and all that for his musical ability and obviously for his drumming in Nirvana. but c'mon! Everytime one of their songs come on the radio, I cant even sit through it, I have to turn it off. I dont really hear anything- super poppy, big hooks, cheesy lyrics and nothing special in the arrangement or intrumentation---am I missing something here?
I hold the pain, release me!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    zootown wrote:
    The Foo Fighters. dont get me wrong, I like dave grohl and all that for his musical ability and obviously for his drumming in Nirvana. but c'mon! Everytime one of their songs come on the radio, I cant even sit through it, I have to turn it off. I dont really hear anything- super poppy, big hooks, cheesy lyrics and nothing special in the arrangement or intrumentation---am I missing something here?
    I totally F'n agree. What is the strange fascination with them...? Okay, Grohl and Co. are talented, but their music is sooooooo uninspiring. Oh well, I like some pretty shit acts as well, I'm sure.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    The local radio station here plays this live, semi acoustic version of one of their big hits (the one that accompanied that "menthos" takeoff vid a few years back) and Im sorry, but it is pathetic IMHO. And they play it every hour almost!!! I guess my point is making this thread is that it seems like a fair amount of PJ fans like the Foo fighters, and i think its like comparing a fine, vintage porsche with a piece of shit 82 yugo. WTF?!
    zootown wrote:
    The local radio station here plays this live, semi acoustic version of one of their big hits (the one that accompanied that "menthos" takeoff vid a few years back) and Im sorry, but it is pathetic IMHO. And they play it every hour almost!!! I guess my point is making this thread is that it seems like a fair amount of PJ fans like the Foo fighters, and i think its like comparing a fine, vintage porsche with a piece of shit 82 yugo. WTF?!

I hope no one compares them.
    But as far as band with no message and no particular mantra goes, they're alright.
    I wish Sunny Day Real Estate were still together.... hell, even Nirvana over the Foo Fighters.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Well Foo fighters do have some serious songs you know. I just saw them play to 86,000 people last saturday and the sing along on Best Of You at the end was absolutely jaw dropping - words can barely describe the wave of emotion that took over the place. People like them because it's catchy heartfelt music made for all the right reasons. Sometimes music doesn't need to be any more than that. That and they are the most consistent live band I've ever seen.

The song Let It Die from their new album is pretty damn impressive, and not 'uninspired' in the least, check it out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LFS5gd35LzU

Oh and here's Best Of You from Wembley Stadium last weekend, not the best quality video, but you get the gist:

Well Foo fighters do have some serious songs you know. I just saw them play to 86,000 people last saturday and the sing along on Best Of You at the end was absolutely jaw dropping - words can barely describe the wave of emotion that took over the place. People like them because it's catchy heartfelt music made for all the right reasons. Sometimes music doesn't need to be any more than that. That and they are the most consistent live band I've ever seen.

The song Let It Die from their new album is pretty damn impressive, and not 'uninspired' in the least, check it out:

Oh and here's Best Of You from Wembley Stadium last weekend, not the best quality video, but you get the gist:

Yeah, well, I guess different strokes for different folks. The first song was okay, decent lyrics. The second song is one of the songs by that band I CANNOT STAND! I think its great that their fanbase is so into it, and I suppose they are better than alot of SHIT that is out there, but I still dont understand- to me they are a great example of pure and unadulterated mediocrity! sign of the times perhaps?
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    zootown wrote:
    Well, he was drummer in Nirvana, that's it, that's why. Many better bands/singers out there before and now.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    zootown wrote:
    Yeah, well, I guess different strokes for different folks. The first song was okay, decent lyrics. The second song is one of the songs by that band I CANNOT STAND! I think its great that their fanbase is so into it, and I suppose they are better than alot of SHIT that is out there, but I still dont understand- to me they are a great example of pure and unadulterated mediocrity! sign of the times perhaps?

Well you see I have a friend that thinks Pearl Jam are the epitome of mediocrity. It kind of almost upsets me because we have such similar tastes in music, yet no matter how I try, I can never quite convey what it is about their music or particular songs that mean so much to me. The same goes for Best Of You; that song tears a piece out of me every time I hear it. As far as Foo Fighters go, it is undoubtedly one of their most emotional songs, and what's more, it eschews the usual easy on the ears pop formula that they usually go for, so with that in mind I kind of find it hard to see how you think that it's mediocre - sure say it about Learn To Fly, Big Me or Long Road To Ruin, but Best Of You?

It's funny really because for the longest time, I never really felt any emotional connection to their music, it was just fun pop rock for me, but since Best Of You and more specifically their new album (which is unquestionably their best in my opinion), I'm seeing them in a completely different light.
    They're a sugary cereal. I need fiber!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

Stranger Things Have Happened is pretty awesome of ESPAG as well, that and Let It Die are my two favourite tracks, but I find it one of those albums you can just blast out and enjoy(like all the Foo's records).:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    elmer wrote:
    Well, he was drummer in Nirvana, that's it, that's why. Many better bands/singers out there before and now.
    That is a cheap shot. I'm not the biggest fan of the Foos but I do think they would be where they are now if he wouldn't have been with Nirvana. Everlong was one of the best songs of the nineties, and they are consistent with putting out good songs.
    HushBull wrote:
    They're a sugary cereal. I need fiber!

thanks. That makes sense. they just seem to lack that certain something? I know I might get bashed for being an elitist here, but I think that the bar has been lowered some, so bands like the Foo fighters suddenly seem better than they are.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    They are a good singles band, thats about it for me. To say they've got to where they are cos Dave was the drummer in Nirvana is unfair to him and the rest of the band. They all seem like decent guys, and are a LOT better than a lot of the shite out there, so good luck to them I say.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i dont know why either, but i just dont like these guys. seems like there music is just lacking some depth and meaning for myself.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    Live, the band is a behemoth, Grohl has become one of the best showmen on the planet. Obviously its a very different experience to a PJ show, but if you compare every band to Pearl Jam, you are going to end up with a limited taste in music.
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I'm Gone wrote:
    Live, the band is a behemoth, Grohl has become one of the best showmen on the planet. Obviously its a very different experience to a PJ show, but if you compare every band to Pearl Jam, you are going to end up with a limited taste in music.

Hehe luckily IO dont hence why there is many genres of music spread across my shelfs, includingb all the Foo's records, to me the Foo's are what I turn to when I want something easy listening, easy on the pallet, bnot to complex, just straight forward and does the job.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    Stranger Things Have Happened is pretty awesome of ESPAG as well, that and Let It Die are my two favourite tracks, but I find it one of those albums you can just blast out and enjoy(like all the Foo's records).:)

Stranger things have happened is awesome! Never liked the Foo Fighters that much until the new album. It's really good. Stacked actors is one of my favorites. Saw them in concert in Feb @ the spectrum & have to say it was one of the best concerts that I have ever been to. Very high energy (although a strange crowd of people). Dave Grohl is hilarious - had the crowd laughing, singing & on its feet the whole show. Also played an acoustic set which was very cool.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    I'm Gone wrote:
    100% agreed.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I had a couple of albums but wasn't a huge fan until I saw them live.

It's just a really good time, sing along, bounce around have a great time rock show. Dave is an awesome front man ... and if you want emotional Dave shed a couple of tears at the Wembley show facepollution mentioned :p

It may not be the deepest music ever but I have plenty of that in my music collection.

If there is a Foos show in town I'm gonna try and get a ticket.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    It's funny really because for the longest time, I never really felt any emotional connection to their music, it was just fun pop rock for me, but since their new album (which is unquestionably their best in my opinion), I'm seeing them in a completely different light.

I agree 100%

The new album is definitely worth a listen.
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    zootown wrote:
    with you 100%. they do put on a great show though, very high energy
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410

I agree. I like the Foos. You can't compare their style to Pearl Jam, so that's not even fair. Doing what they do, the Foo Fighters are as good as it gets. I catch hell from some people because I like a poppy style of hard rock sometimes. I have a strange taste in music compared to most because I listen to everything from Pearl Jam to George Strait.
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Love the band! Like Dave said, it's pop music. They just do it really well. Being front row, Dead centre for their concert here a few months ago was one of the best nights of my life.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • The first 3 albums were all good and diverse, but Grohl seems to have turned into a one trick pony. Every song kind of sounds the same and his guitar playing isn't improving.

Still though, i'd rather listen to the Foos than Nirvana
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB