Better Live: My Morning Jacket or Modest Mouse?

jshine77jshine77 Posts: 2
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I'm going to Lollapalooza for the last day, and I can't decide for the life of me whether to see My Morning Jacket or Modest Mouse!

Two of my favorite bands and they are playing at the same time!

Has anybody seen both live and can you tell me which band has the better live show?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My Morning Jacket are more dependable. Isaac has his off-nights that is for sure...but then again you don't listen to Modest Mouse to hear good singing. Isaac isn't a great singer, he knows that, and so should people who listen to the albums but then complain about how he sings live.

I like Modest Mouse a lot more than MMJ, but because Modest Mouse is on the opposite side of the park right before PJ it's a no-brainer for me. Also, MMJ is playing with the Chicago Youth Symphony so the possibilities are endless.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169

I like Modest Mouse a lot more than MMJ, but because Modest Mouse is on the opposite side of the park right before PJ it's a no-brainer for me. .
    i agree....also because modest mouse is playing my town in mud august so i'll catch them then.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I was going to see Modest Mouse until I saw they were in the same slot...then there was no question I was going to see MMJ. Given, this is from someone who is a big MMJ fan and not much of a MM fan but I can say from experience that MMJ is awesome live and with the orchestra they will be doing all sorts of crazy stuff
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • [size=+10]MMJ[/size]
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    Modest Mouse.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    im going to see modest mouse. their new album is hands down my fav album this year so far, i missed seeing them earlier this year, and ive already seen mmj a few times. i saw the decemberists last week in millenium park with an orchestra... it doesn't really make that big a difference.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    the orchestra is just a bonus......mmj is the best live band on the planet right now if pearl jam was not around. anyway it's all subjective here but that's how i feel. i will admit that i've never seen modest mouse live and i'm not a huge fan, although i do appreciate what they do......but the simple fact that they are on the other side of a enormous park right before pj plays should make the decision a lot easier for any pearl jam fan who is on the fence.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    The few times i saw modest mouse, the performance was pretty poor. Sped up tempos and sad singing. However, Isaac was tough to read which made it kind of exciting and unpredictable.

MMJ slays almost every time live.

Also, since this is a Festival I would expect a standard set from both bands. However, since MMJ is playing with a symphony it's def the one to be at.

MMJ
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    I am with the MMJ folks...you'll be glad you saw them.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Mmj Imo
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    MMJ definitely. I would prefer MMJ without the symphony actually. I went to the show with the Boston Pops and it doesn't add all that much. I'd prefer they just rock out.
  • my morning jacket
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    I don't like My Morning Jacket, but admit I haven't listened to too much of their material. However I think Modest Mouse is absolutely horrible.

An added point for lollapalooza people thinking about this is, I am banking on Vedder making an appearance on stage with My Morning Jacket (as he has done before). So you might wanna catch them. Also if you are at that stage, for MMJ then you have a prime spot as Pearl Jam will be on that stage after them.

My logic on the question anyway, but its an easy choice for me as I hate Modest Mouse :)

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    [size=+10]MMJ[/size]

he he ;]=~~
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Hah

Modest Mouse was great. MMJ.... meh

go figure?
    the Minions
  • RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    I love both bands equally, actually I may like Modest Mouse better.

But MMJ live is better than most bands.....I was disappointed how bad Modest Mouse sounded actually!

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
    Hah

Modest Mouse was great. MMJ.... meh

go figure?

im still bummed i didnt make it to modest mouse. after the vic, my gf really wanted a good spot for pj. we saw mmj. i wasnt impressed. ive seen them a few times before adn loved them, but something about this set felt a little flat to me. alas.
  • Romanza wrote:
    I love both bands equally, actually I may like Modest Mouse better.

But MMJ live is better than most bands.....I was disappointed how bad Modest Mouse sounded actually!

I thought they were great...I was a little buzzed, but the crowd vibe was much more incredible than at MMJ.

BUT...I only saw about 10 minutes of MMJ before trekking over to Modest Mouse. May not be fair comparison.
    the Minions
  • MMJ were underwhelming at Lolla. I wish I would have seen Modest Mouse instead.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    you people are on crack.
  • I have not seen Modest Mouse, but I'd have to guess almost anything would be better than My Morning Jacket live. They were terrible. The crowd was definitely not into them.
    Saturnal wrote:
    I have not seen Modest Mouse, but I'd have to guess almost anything would be better than My Morning Jacket live. They were terrible. The crowd was definitely not into them.

first of all mmj's set was a little weak, but what can you do with one hour? you can't judge mmj from seeing them play for an hour.....but anyway, i was in the crowd and i was definitely into them and to say they were terrible is either a biased or a very ignorant statement. i'm a huge mmj fan and i would compare that show to seeing a bad pj show with a crappy set list, which we all know is still great.........so whatever, you may not like mmj and that's fine, but they are an amazing band and that is a musical fact.
  • first of all mmj's set was a little weak, but what can you do with one hour? you can't judge mmj from seeing them play for an hour.....but anyway, i was in the crowd and i was definitely into them and to say they were terrible is either a biased or a very ignorant statement. i'm a huge mmj fan and i would compare that show to seeing a bad pj show with a crappy set list, which we all know is still great.........so whatever, you may not like mmj and that's fine, but they are an amazing band and that is a musical fact.
    I saw them open for Pearl Jam too. I don't think they're a terrible band, but I thought that set was terrible. I don't think they're anywhere near amazing...which is of course not a "musical fact" but an opinion.
    Saturnal wrote:
    I saw them open for Pearl Jam too. I don't think they're a terrible band, but I thought that set was terrible. I don't think they're anywhere near amazing...which is of course not a "musical fact" but an opinion.

yeah well that's not how you put it with your original post. you pretty much said anybody would've been better than them and that they were terrible, but whatever. and yeah i guess depending on what you consider amazing it could be an opinion. but i meant amazing as in a very talented group of musicians, which is a fact. whether you like them or not is an opinion, but no one can deny their musicianship.
  • yeah well that's not how you put it with your original post. you pretty much said anybody would've been better than them and that they were terrible, but whatever. and yeah i guess depending on what you consider amazing it could be an opinion. but i meant amazing as in a very talented group of musicians, which is a fact. whether you like them or not is an opinion, but no one can deny their musicianship.
    That's true, I cannot deny their musicianship...it certainly appeared that they were playing their instruments when I saw them.
    first of all mmj's set was a little weak, but what can you do with one hour? you can't judge mmj from seeing them play for an hour.....but anyway, i was in the crowd and i was definitely into them and to say they were terrible is either a biased or a very ignorant statement. i'm a huge mmj fan and i would compare that show to seeing a bad pj show with a crappy set list, which we all know is still great.........so whatever, you may not like mmj and that's fine, but they are an amazing band and that is a musical fact.

musical fact eh? i love my morning jacket. i've never seen them play more than an hour. i saw them open for pearl jam twice, and i saw them at lolla last year. they were amazing every single time. their set at lolla this year was weak. period. the crowd couldn't have cared less and the band seemed flat. it was a huge disappointment. they might have just had an off day. but it was not an impressive performance, and this is coming from a huge fan.
  • my morning jacket is the future.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • musical fact eh? i love my morning jacket. i've never seen them play more than an hour. i saw them open for pearl jam twice, and i saw them at lolla last year. they were amazing every single time. their set at lolla this year was weak. period. the crowd couldn't have cared less and the band seemed flat. it was a huge disappointment. they might have just had an off day. but it was not an impressive performance, and this is coming from a huge fan.
    Yeah, I'll have to give them another chance someday. Most people do give them good reviews.
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    this is like asking which is better.. solid shits or green apple splatters???

either way.. its still shit
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys