Silversun Pickups

SorrowDirgeSorrowDirge Posts: 57
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I would say that they are currently my 2nd favorite band at the moment. You really don't hear that much about them though, especially on the west coast. Their album Carnavas is one of my all time favs. If you haven't heard of em', I would recommend you give this album a shot. You won't be dissapointed! I would say they sound like an edgier Smashing Pumpkins. Any other fans out there?
1998-07-10 San Diego
1998-07-11 Las Vegas
2000-10-22 Las Vegas
2000-10-25 San Diego
2003-06-05 San Diego
2006-07-06 Las Vegas
2006-07-07 San Diego

http://www.myspace.com/roccondiego
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I borrowed Pikul from my friend. It was good. Could definitely hear the Pumpkin influence (Gish/Siamese Dream). Wouldn't say they are edgier, or better, but they are good.

I would like to see them live.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Seen them live a couple of times, and they put on an awesome show. Funny enough, I was just listening to them in my mate's car. Their album Carnavas is indeed very good.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,970
    A buddy of mine was raving about them, but when I read of the SP similarity I said "no, thanks." I hate those Pumpkins :p!

Q) What do hillbillies do at Halloween?

A) Pump kin.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I love the silversun Pcikups, Carnavas is just an amazing album. every song is filled with drama and great atmospheric sounds.
    Pikul is greta as well, i read an article where they said for their next album they are going to try to go back to their Pikul sound.
    i love "all the go inbetweens" from pikul
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    I've been listening to them non-stop lately. They remind me a little of The Breeders. Particularly "Lazy Eye". Definitely can hear the Pumpkins influence though.

Great album, glad I picked it up. I recommend it :)
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    meh they're ok, saw them at a radio winners concert thing a few months ago and they put on a decent enough show but the songs were pretty whatev, Lazy Eye is a cacthy ass single but the rest of teh record is nowhere to be found in my memory
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • ledfloydledfloyd Posts: 604
    i love carnavas, one of my favorite albums in recent years...i saw them live last year and they were decent, but in a really small venue, so it was definitely a good time
    "won't you help to sing, these songs of freedom...cause all i've ever had, redemption songs"
    --BOB MARLEY
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Edgier? I dont think so. Awful band, the vocals are terrible and what makes it even worse is that a voice like that is coming from a guy.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Edgier? I dont think so. Awful band, the vocals are terrible and what makes it even worse is that a voice like that is coming from a guy.

I agree they are definately not "edgier" than the Smashing Pumpkins, lol.

The rest here, i dunno.

I checked them out a year ago or so, had them on my ipod for a while ... it was "alright" ...

"lackadaisical" is a word that comes to mind.
    Its like that good ole Smashing Pumpkins feeling for the truly bored and dejected. It has the right "sound" but fails to really go anywhere musicaly. At least, that's how i felt.

By the way, regarding the Pumpkins influence,
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Silversun Pickups
    SP
    ?

Is it really that much of a stretch?
    I'm sure it was a coincidence.
    ;)

I guess all things considered, they would be 10x better (well not really but) if it didn't sound so much like the Pumpkins, vocaly, and in what their music tries to capture in spirit sonicaly.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    They sound FAR more like Placebo than they do Pumpkins.
  • I liked that twinkles song when I heard it for the first time. I said, wow, she does a great job on this song. Then I found out it was a guy singing in that band, and it made it kind of weird for me.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    I liked that twinkles song when I heard it for the first time. I said, wow, she does a great job on this song. Then I found out it was a guy singing in that band, and it made it kind of weird for me.
    I assumed it was a girl until I saw them on Letterman.