Options

Kings of Leon Home Videos are Terrible

SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,955
edited September 2008 in Other Music
Why the hell do I continue to watch these terrible videos day after day? None of them were in the least bit interesting and are actually starting to make me dislike these guys.

I love the music but damn, these guys are idiots. These look like videos that 12 year olds would post on the MySpace or YouTube. I don't even know what is going on in some of them- oh look a guy fell through a roof, hey there's a guy washing his hair, now it's time to snort something. What in the hell made them think this was a good idea!?!?!

I was hoping for videos that had substance, like with each clip dealing with an issue in a certain song or the actual recording process (which the 1st video had a little bit of). I can't imagine that the band watches these and think its doing any good for them.
severed hand thirteen
2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I think some of it is just acting out, considering they are filming themselves. It's like they're trying to prove they're still cool or something. You're right, they are getting progressively more idiotic.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    KeirKeir Posts: 46
    Kings of Leon sucks now. The new album sucks and the videos prove they are a bunch of fucktards.

I mean it's not like they were ever that good. But at least their older material was fun. They suck hard now.
  • Options
    Keir wrote:
    Kings of Leon sucks now. The new album sucks and the videos prove they are a bunch of fucktards.

I mean it's not like they were ever that good. But at least their older material was fun. They suck hard now.

That's a little extreme. They are a rock band after all.

I mean, for God's sake, Eddie Vedder destroyed his dressing room in Carnegie Hall when he appeared with Pete Townsend, and wrote "It's my generation, baby," on the wall. If that's not being a fucktard, please tell me what is.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    the main problem is their crosseyed lead singer. the director tries to hide it but damn, that dude is fugly.

great music though :)
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Don't forget "Oh look, Jared buck naked in the studio playing the bass."

In theory these videos are a great idea but this subject came up between a girlfiend and I and our general consensus is that we're not sure if we want to see the rest of the videos because they're kind of diminishing them in our eyes and neither of us likes that. I told her, "They look like 12-year olds, don't they?"

Yes. Yes they do.

But they still rock and the new album does, too.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    Don't forget "Oh look, Jared buck naked in the studio playing the bass."

In theory these videos are a great idea but this subject came up between a girlfiend and I and our general consensus is that we're not sure if we want to see the rest of the videos because they're kind of diminishing them in our eyes and neither of us likes that. I told her, "They look like 12-year olds, don't they?"

Yes. Yes they do.

But they still rock and the new album does, too.
    My thoughts exactly. I need to stop watching these before they ruin the new album for me.
    severed hand thirteen
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    My thoughts exactly. I need to stop watching these before they ruin the new album for me.

I was only really watching them to hear snippets of the new album, but now it's leaked I've given up. Just seemed like them goofing around to me, which is pretty harmless, no?
  • Options
    I was only really watching them to hear snippets of the new album, but now it's leaked I've given up. Just seemed like them goofing around to me, which is pretty harmless, no?
    Yea its harmless, unless they do pointless stuff in the future which would stop people from even caring to watch, or listen to their stuff.
    severed hand thirteen
  • Options
    I'm trying to avoid all the pre-album press as well so it doesn't get ruined for me. Most of the bands I really like give the appearance that they are all about the music and don't try to look sexy. I think KOL are trying to look sexy and play to the women(or teenage girls), which bugs me a little. I've noticed in most of the recent promo pictures that the bass player has this look on his mouth where he is trying to be all dreamy looking. Pay attention to this and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's pretty funny, it's like his goal is to appear in Tiger Beat.
  • Options
    Metro 13 I couldnt agree more. These guys used to look like down south dirtball rockers and now they look like they are trying to get on the cover of GQ. They seem very "metro" if u will. During one of those home videos on the website they showed the drummer doing push-ups and curls getting buff for his tang top shot. I started laughing out loud when i saw that. I think their sound is moving that way as well. From true rock n roll to polished wannabe arena rock. Even with that cover quote on NME. "Druge ruined us, now we want to be huge" I believe that attitude has affected their music. I do like KOL but dont like the direction they are heading in.
  • Options
    these videos aren't supposed to mean anything, it's just their life....if you dont want to watch, just dont click on their site, pretty simple.
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    i think they are trying to look stupid. i would venture to guess they dont give a shit about what any of us think.
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i would venture to guess they dont give a shit about what any of us think.

absolutely my good man :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    absolutely my good man :)

Exactly, why should they pretend to be people they're not, just for the cameras?
  • Options
    KOL has been this way since Aha Shake Heartbreak came out. Kind of have a cooler than you thing going. They also try to look all sexy. I try to just pay attention to the music and not them as people. Their fans are the same. Check out their message board. It is more about how cool or good looking they are than the music.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Well after seeing this thread, I watched all the videos.

I didn't think anything was weird at all. It was like watching a video of me and my friends. :D

I'd pay one of my friends to snort a line of wasabi too :)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I think the video's are funny. I don't see anything wrong with them.
  • Options
    Today's video features Eddie Vedder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUl_dLKLpOE

0:43 and again at 0:59.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Meh...most rock stars can act like juvenile imbecils because they are rock stars. Unfortunatley they think its cool, which most of us can plainly see, it isn't.

If I released a bunch of videos of myself like that I'd probably get canned from work and become socially ostricized. Some of us live in the real world.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what you were expecting. This is Kings of Leon, seems to me most of their music is about partying and sex. They've always been a style before substance kind of band. Did you expect videos of them sitting around reading? They have a super cool image to protect.

They are in my mind a party rock band...and a very good one at that.
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    They've always been a style before substance kind of band..

Could you explain what you mean by that?
    -Reagan
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,086
    kings of leon .......WASSSSSSUP!!

Cool to see Ed kickin' it and having a good time w/ the boys.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Riot_Mac wrote:
    KOL has been this way since Aha Shake Heartbreak came out. Kind of have a cooler than you thing going. They also try to look all sexy. I try to just pay attention to the music and not them as people. Their fans are the same. Check out their message board. It is more about how cool or good looking they are than the music.

i think they have always had a marketed look all the way back to their first album............

the music rocks...........vocals are great.........but i wish they would continue maturing on the lyrics / hype thing.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Yea its harmless, unless they do pointless stuff in the future which would stop people from even caring to watch, or listen to their stuff.
    You have a pretty big pole stuck up your butt don't ya?
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    TheBeach wrote:
    You have a pretty big pole stuck up your butt don't ya?
    I don't enjoy when fully capable people act like they 5 years old.
    severed hand thirteen
  • Options
    pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I like KoL for their music, not their videos.
    Hell, I don't think I've eevn seen one of their videos.

I know they're not the most ground breaking or original band. But I think they're good and I like 'em.
    When I stop liking them, I'll stop listening. But videos? Not gonna change my mind.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Options
    pirlo21 wrote:
    I like KoL for their music, not their videos.
    Hell, I don't think I've eevn seen one of their videos.

I know they're not the most ground breaking or original band. But I think they're good and I like 'em.
    When I stop liking them, I'll stop listening. But videos? Not gonna change my mind.

not music videos we're talking about dude.. did you even read any of this thread? :D

they have been releasing HOME video footage of them making the new album... a short segment every day has been released.

we're not discussing cinematography of The Bucket ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    not music videos we're talking about dude.. did you even read any of this thread? :D

they have been releasing HOME video footage of them making the new album... a short segment every day has been released.

we're not discussing cinematography of The Bucket ;)

Yeah, I grasped what the thread was about, but still feel the same.
    That kind of thing isn't gonna sway what I feel about music.

Whilst you mention The Bucket, I stuck that on the jukebox in the pub last night. What a fucking song.
    They may be shit at making home videos, but they can make pretty decent music!
    Cymru Am Byth

1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Options
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Yeah, I grasped what the thread was about, but still feel the same.
    That kind of thing isn't gonna sway what I feel about music.

Whilst you mention The Bucket, I stuck that on the jukebox in the pub last night. What a fucking song.
    They may be shit at making home videos, but they can make pretty decent music!

oh right.. fair dos amigo :):)

they make great pub music dont they.

i quite often start a fight, Begbie style, whenever 4 Kicks comes on ;)
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    oh right.. fair dos amigo :):)

they make great pub music dont they.

i quite often start a fight, Begbie style, whenever 4 Kicks comes on ;)

Oh yeah! Quality pub music, no doubt. Had a bit of Red Morning Light & Black Thumbnail last night too!
    Great stuff.
    Cymru Am Byth

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,949
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I don't enjoy when fully capable people act like they 5 years old.

Then don't watch.