whats up with band playing same setlist every night?

SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
edited July 2006 in Other Music
i love system of a down- but how corny is it that they played the same setlist every night during last summers tour. sure it was a great show (i saw them at continental) but if youre a big fan you'd wanna see more songs live. i just dont get it.
severed hand thirteen
2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I know.

The only major artists I know of that change the sets are...

Pearl Jam
    Dave Matthews Band
    Bruce Springsteen
    Phish

...are there any others?

I have also heard that Kelly Clakson of all people does as well. Say what you will about her music, I say good for her.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I usually hate it when bands don't change the set lists, but The Mars Volta played the same set(order diff...songs the same) for the entire 2005 Frances Tour, but every song had a different jam so it was still pretty unique.

Anyway, Radiohead also changes setlists quite often.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Widespread Panic
    Black Crowes

(you may not think they are major, but they are to me!!!)
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Ryan Adams and the Cardinals
    Wilco
    Guided by Voices (when they existed)
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    Queens Of The Stone Age and The Tragically Hip both change things up pretty drastically night to night
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • I've seen Hall and Oates and the Indigo Girls both take audience requests to determine what they would play. Hall and Oates actually made that the entire show except for their new singles.
    I think it also depends on whether a band/artist has pre-programmed production numbers or special effects that can't be rearranged every night. It makes me wonder if Billy Joel or Elton John change it up. They each must have played all of their songs a billion times each. Anyone seen them?
    I'm the Peachmeister!

2003-Albany, Mansfield I, Camden I, MSG I
    2006-Hartford
    2008-Mansfield II
    EV NYC I +II
    2009-EV Philly
    2010-MSG I + II
    2013-Worchester
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    When Neil plays solo or with Crazy Horse, SOMETIMES he'll mix it up. Not all the time though.
    I appreciate bands like PJ who do this for their fans (and themselves) but I certainly understand the desire to play a standard show.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • I can understand why a band WOULDN'T want to. All they have to do is look at Pearl Jam. Go on the message board after most shows and you see quite a few posts like. "Those assholes, I went to night #1 and they played 'Crown of Thorns' on night #2. What a rip off" or "why do they always open with 'Release' when I see them??" or "29 shows so far this tour and 'Even Flow' has been played 24 times. What gives? Getting a bit stale, boys"

And those are sanitized versions. People are downright mean and bitchy about the setlists. People generally leave bands like The Rolling Stones and U2 alone about this topic, I guess because they know what they are getting.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • I've seen Hall and Oates and the Indigo Girls both take audience requests to determine what they would play. Hall and Oates actually made that the entire show except for their new singles.
    I think it also depends on whether a band/artist has pre-programmed production numbers or special effects that can't be rearranged every night. It makes me wonder if Billy Joel or Elton John change it up. They each must have played all of their songs a billion times each. Anyone seen them?

I like what the Rolling Stones did in 2002. They played stadiums, arenas and theaters. Bigger cities like New York and Paris got atleast one of each, and smaller cities got 1 or 2.

The stadium shows were essentially all hits.

The arena shows were mainly a 50/50 mix of hits and album cuts that hadn't been played in a while (like "Stray Cat Blues" and "If You Can't Rock Me.")

The theater shows were basically anything they felt like doing that night.

I caught an arena show and a stadium show. It was one of the coolest tours I have ever seen.
    I love my female wife...
  • System dont even care anymore they will be spilt by the end of the year
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • jaygreen12jaygreen12 Posts: 166
    counting crows also changes their setlist up pretty drastically from show to show.
    6/03/06-East Rutherford II

The One and Only
  • Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    I know.

The only major artists I know of that change the sets are...

Pearl Jam
    Dave Matthews Band
    Bruce Springsteen
    Phish

...are there any others?

I have also heard that Kelly Clakson of all people does as well. Say what you will about her music, I say good for her.

Are you kidding? I think most major artists change the sets. Add U2 and Radiohead to the list.
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    R.E.M. always change their's up
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Clifwith1f wrote:
    Are you kidding? I think most major artists change the sets. Add U2 and Radiohead to the list.

U2 does and doesn't....I mean on the Vertigo Tour they played tons of different songs, some that hadn't been played in over 20 years("Gloria" was played for the first time since 82 apparently) but at the same time there were certain things you KNEW would be played. I guess it's that way with Pearl Jam and other 'set-changing' bands though.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • There are pros and cons to both methods.

THE PROS OF VARYING SETLISTS: Fans never know what song'll be next, it keeps the shows lively and fun, it's more exciting if you're seeing multiple dates on a tour.

THE CONS OF VARYING SETLISTS: Certain songs that aren't played every night can be sloppy, as mentioned above, fans can get greedy.

THE PROS OF SIMILAR SETLISTS: Songs are tighter since they are played every night, allows for more elaborate stage set-up and lighting display.

THE CONS OF SIMILAR SETLISTS: It can be boring for fans who go to multiple dates, it can get boring for the band.

There have great bands that use each method. Obviously Pearl Jam uses the varying setlist method to their advantage while a band like the Who was able to thrive while playing very similar sets every night.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    Of all the bands that keep the set lists the same every night, I wish Tool would mix it up a little more. I suppose it's due to all the visuals they have for each song. Same thing with Metallica, if they wanted to change their set lists up, it would be a matter of synchronizing all the lighting and fireworks every night.
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    I've seen Hall and Oates and the Indigo Girls both take audience requests to determine what they would play. Hall and Oates actually made that the entire show except for their new singles.

saw billy joel 1998 2 nd row.. g ood show. he was a good 'showman'. not sure what you were asking? i only saw hime the once, so don't know about setlist, but there weren't any 'effects' except maybe the tan on his saxaphone player.

:)
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I like what the Rolling Stones did in 2002. They played stadiums, arenas and theaters. Bigger cities like New York and Paris got atleast one of each, and smaller cities got 1 or 2.

The stadium shows were essentially all hits.

The arena shows were mainly a 50/50 mix of hits and album cuts that hadn't been played in a while (like "Stray Cat Blues" and "If You Can't Rock Me.")

The theater shows were basically anything they felt like doing that night.

I caught an arena show and a stadium show. It was one of the coolest tours I have ever seen.

I attended 12 shows that stones tour...look at the variety of the five Chicago shows.

UNITED CENTER:

Setlist
    Street Fighting Man
    It's Only Rock and Roll
    If You Can't Rock Me
    Don't Stop
    All Down the Line
    Stray Cat Blues
    Far Away Eyes
    SHATTERED
    wHEN THE whIP cOMES dOWN
    Tumbling Dice
    Intros
    Keith--The Worst
    Happy
    Can't Turn You Loose
    Miss You
    Can't You Hear Me Knockin
    Honky Tonk Women
    Satisfaction
    B-stage--Mannish Boy
    You Got Me Rocking
    Brown Sugar

Main stage
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Jumping Jack Flash

Comisky Park:

Setlist
    Brown Sugar
    Start Me Up
    IORR
    Don't Stop
    Honky Tonk Women
    Undercover
    Angie
    You Can't Always Get What You Want
    Monkey Man
    Love Train
    Slipping Away
    Before They Make Me Run
    Sympathy for the Devil

B stage--Neighbours
    Little Red Rooster
    Like A Rolling Stone

Gimme Shelter
    Tumbling Dice
    Street Fighting Man
    Jumping Jack Flash
    Midnight Rambler
    Satisfaction

ARAGON BALLROOM

Start me up
    Live with Me
    Rocks Off
    Hand of Fate
    Torn and Frayed
    Worried About you
    Everybody Needs SOmebody to Love
    Walk and Don't Look Back
    Dance part 2
    Bitch
    Slipping Away
    Happy
    IORR--BONO joined them for this one
    (some Going to a GoGo changed to Going to CHicago in the middle of IORR)
    I Just Want To Make Love To You--DR John on this one
    Honky Tonk Women
    Rip This Joint
    Can't You Hear Me Knockin--song almost fell apart but Ronnie saved the day
    Jumping Jack Flash
    Brown Sugar
    Tumbling Dice--encore

UNITED CENTER 2 (In January, 5 months later)

-You Got Me Rockin
    2-Street Fighting Man
    3- If You Can't Rock Me
    4- Don't Stop
    5- Live with Me
    6- Wild Horses
    7- Sweet Virginia
    8- Rocks Off
    9- Tumbling Dice

intros

10-Slipping Away
    11-Before They Make Me Run
    12-Gimme Shelter
    13-Start Me Up
    14-Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    15-Honky Tonk Women
    16-Satisfaction
    B Stage
    17-IORR
    18-Midnight Rambler
    19-Brown Sugar
    encore
    20-Jumping Jack Flash

UNITED CENTER 3 (NEXT NIGHT AFTER PREVIOUS SHOW)

1. Street Fighting Man
    2. You Got Me Rocking
    3. If You Can't Rock Me
    4. Don't Stop
    5. Monkey Man
    6 Bitch
    7. Waiting On A Friend
    8. Neighbors
    9. Start Me Up
    10. Tumbling Dice
    Introductions
    11. Thru and Thru
    12. Happy
    13. Sympathy For The Devil
    14. Gimme Shelter
    15. It's Only Rock 'n Roll
    16. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    17. When The Whip Comes Down (on the B Stage)
    18. Like a Rolling Stone (someone threw Mick a cowboy hat again tonight)
    19. Brown Sugar
    20. Jumping Jack Flash (back on the main stage)
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I hate that....they have to be aware that some fans are going to a more then one show.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • It's one of my pet peeves when they don't mix it up at all.

That's just another reason that I love PJ so much :)

Other bands that mix it up:

Ben Harper
    The Black Crowes

If I were in a band, I would change things up nightly because I think it would be fun.....I would hate playin' the same shit every night just because I felt I had to.

I've seen The Black Crowes twice and they haven't played She Talks To Angels once....I don't care. Just using that as an example because it's probably one of, if not their biggest song. :)

I love when bands change setlists.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.