Is it wrong that I enjoy both Neil Young AND Lynyrd Skynyrd?

PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
edited February 2007 in Other Music
I know there's a conflict there...but I like both artists.

Neil Young more, of course, because he has more quality material AND of course because of Mirror Ball :)

But I really do enjoy some Skynyrd too
Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• No it's not wrong. I like both of them also. Skynyrd loved Neil Young.
  • There was no conflict - Skynryd worshipped Neil.
  • Well they did get pissed at him in a song.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Well they did get pissed at him in a song.
    Well the media claims that Skynard took a jab at Neil Young in Sweet home Alabama, and it is believed that they did that in response to Neil Young's song "southernman." I really think it was just the media blowing smoke up people's ass trying to create a conflict to get good juicy gossip.

I like both artists too. They both have written great music.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • No, just that you like Lynyrd Skynyrd.

jk.

but seriously.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    This page spells out the true story behind Lynyrd & Neil:

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/jammin/lynyrd.htm

And its referenced in that post, but check out the song 'Ronnie & Neil' by the Drive-By Truckers. If you like Neil & Lynyrd Skynyrd, the album 'Southern Rock Opera' will fit the two pieces together.

Also, Neil played a bit of Sweet Home Alabama on 11/12/77 at the end of Alabama, apparently as a tribute to Ronnie who had died a month earlier.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Excellent...did not know that!
    That's good, because...how could you dislike Neil, anyway?! :)
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • I know there's a conflict there...but I like both artists.

Neil Young more, of course, because he has more quality material AND of course because of Mirror Ball :)

But I really do enjoy some Skynyrd too

There is no conflict. Both are great. Shitting on Skynyrd seems to be a cool thing to do these days, especially with that group that's cashing in on the name now. But Skynyrd put out some great music in the 70's. Granted some of their hits are played out now, but they have some gems on their albums.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    No conflict at all, I was into Skynyrd before Neil Young but love both...

It's Ted Nugent that I can stand :rolleyes: :D
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Skynyrd is one of those bands that gets little to no credit. They should have gotten into the R&R Hall of Fame way before 2006 but I digress. Neil and Ronnie were "friends". They had mutual respect for each other and a big deal was made out of nothing. I dare say that Skynyrd has more different songs played in the normal rotation on classic rock radio (around here anyway) than any other band, Zeppelin excluded:

Call Me The Breeze
    Don't Ask Me No Questions
    Free Bird
    Gimme Back My Bullets
    Gimme Three Steps
    I Ain't The One
    One More Time
    Saturday Night Special
    Simple Man
    Sweet Home Alabama
    That Smell
    The Ballad of Curtis Loew
    The Needle and the Spoon
    Tuesday's Gone
    What's Your Name
    Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
    Workin' For MCA

maybe a couple more I forgot...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    There is no conflict. Both are great. Shitting on Skynyrd seems to be a cool thing to do these days, especially with that group that's cashing in on the name now. But Skynyrd put out some great music in the 70's. Granted some of their hits are played out now, but they have some gems on their albums.
    totally agree though about the current band that goes under that name they are not even a shadow of the original line up, i was fortunate to see the original band and they fucking rocked i cringe when i come across the new lineup on tv ............
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    No problem..........I'm a native Southerner who actually prefers Neil.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • this is so relevant that i just shat myself
    this heart's on fire
  • Neil was a Skynyrd fan. He actually offered them one of his songs to record. I think it was Powderfinger. They're both great artists. Skynyrd is one of the great American rock n' roll bands. It's too bad they get bogged down by the redneck reputation, because their music was so much more than that.
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    redneck reputation

Such is the Duality of the Southern Thing…

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org