New Wilco on VW commercial

whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Anyone else heard this. I have seen two commercials each with a song off sky blue sky. Wondering what other Wilco fans thought. I was surprised.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    You don't question your sports stars having their commercial endorsments, and you download music for free, saying "this is the way of teh future "

So is this stuff !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Wilco unapologetic about VW ads

The Illinois rock band see TV commercials as a good way to get their music out there. And they all drive Volkswagens, anyway

Rosie Swash
    Wednesday June 6, 2007
    Guardian Unlimited

Wilco, the ultra-credible Illinois rock band with many critically acclaimed albums to their name, have taken the step of releasing a statement to defend themselves against accusations of selling out after their music was used in an ad campaign for Volkswagen.

Under the title "Breaking News: Wilco music used in advertisement in an effort to sell records", a message on the band's official website claims they licensed music from their current album, Sky Blue Sky, to the Passat manufacturer because they are finding it increasingly difficult to get their music played on radio.

Article continues
    "As many of you are aware, Volkswagen has recently begun running a series of TV commercials featuring Wilco music," the statement says. "With the commercial radio airplay route getting more difficult for many bands (including Wilco), we see this as another way to get the music out there."

The statement does also point out, however, the lucrative benefits of their music being used in a high-profile TV campaign. "The band gets paid for this. And we feel okay about VWs. Several of us even drive them."
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    I understand their argument, but what matters to me is that I like hearing a Wilco song on tv without expecting it. So I am not complaining. But I will say that I was always proud to be a fan of bands that do not do this, i.e. Neil Young, R.E.M., Tom Waits, and Pearl Jam. I assumed Wilco was part of this group and apparently a lot of their fans did due to the complaints. But Wilco is not, and I'm not complaining. Hey, Bob Dylan is still as cool as ever right, and he did Victoria's Secret and the i Pod?
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I don't understand why this was so surprising to Wilco fans. I've heard Wilco played as background music during a show called "History Detectives" on PBS. Last year my mom was watching some sort of rodeo or cow herding show - I heard multiple Wilco AND Uncle Tupelo songs played leading into and out of commercial breaks. I saw somewhere that "How to Fight Lonliness" was included on a Martha Stewart (or is is Stuart?) music complilation at one time. None of those outlets are exactly very rock and roll.

I'm not interested in seeing the bands I love getting huge amounts of commercial exposure, but I'm not going to hold it against them. As long as the commerials are relatively tasteful I'm not complaining. If Jeff becomes the spokesman for his own flavor of bottled water maybe I'll change my mind.

A band that's never received much radio play or huge albums sales needs to make a living where they can. We're not talking about a bunch of 20 year olds living in a bus. These guys have families to support and bills to pay. I'm fine with that.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think when i first found out about it i was taken aback by it. Ultimately it is their decision and not much anyone can say.

At this point though if it helps them get more fans, make more money, live and reitre comfortably, and make another album quicker ( :) ) it is cool.

I saw them last night and they rocked. The music is still great and that is the most important thing.

If you are interested in a lively "discussion" visit their message board. When it was first heard their was like a 40 page thread that ended up locked and their is another one that started that is still going that is 42 pages now so their is about 80 pages of bitchin (my comments included lol) on their.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • "what light" is being used on a commercial for american movie classics, too. It's not a big deal to me. Wilco is never going to be a band that charges 250.00 a ticket and sell out stadiums, so the guys have to make money any way they can. I'd much rather have them make some extra cash and be able to continue to record and tour then have them pack it in and take day jobs.
    I like bands.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    In a related-but-unrelated comment, I was almost physically sick when I heard Scentless Apprentice on the LOST season finale. I can't stand Courtney Love...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...