N. Young Kicks Dylan's Ass

SeveredHand07SeveredHand07 Posts: 3
edited July 2006 in Other Music
"The Times They're A Changin"...Well, one could hope. First, I really like Dylan and a good share of his tunes. This post wasn't to diss Dylan, but to give kudos to Neil. I personally think Neil is a more talented, more versatile, and here's the controversial comment, better songwriter. Why? Who else can write "Ohio" in the late 60's, early 70's, "Needle and the Damage Done", Harvest Gold", Fuckin Up, Rockin in the free world, Harvest Moon, Long May you run...? How different are all those songs? His song "Philadelphia" to me was the Oscar winner that year, not Bruce Springsteens. He's made all sorts of albums and his songwriting is very obviously an influence on my fav Ed Vedder, so that's all the more reason to give props to Neil. Watch Neil do "Ontario" where he sits at the Organ, plays guitar, harmonica, and sings all in the same song...He's so talented.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neil is my favourite musician...

he is a bloody legend
    10/11/06, 11/11/06, 13/11/06, 14/11/06, 16/11/06, 19/11/06, 21/11/06, 22/11/06.

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No. 35-+--+
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    "The Times They're A Changin"...Well, one could hope. First, I really like Dylan and a good share of his tunes. This post wasn't to diss Dylan, but to give kudos to Neil. I personally think Neil is a more talented, more versatile, and here's the controversial comment, better songwriter. Why? Who else can write "Ohio" in the late 60's, early 70's, "Needle and the Damage Done", Harvest Gold", Fuckin Up, Rockin in the free world, Harvest Moon, Long May you run...? How different are all those songs? His song "Philadelphia" to me was the Oscar winner that year, not Bruce Springsteens. He's made all sorts of albums and his songwriting is very obviously an influence on my fav Ed Vedder, so that's all the more reason to give props to Neil. Watch Neil do "Ontario" where he sits at the Organ, plays guitar, harmonica, and sings all in the same song...He's so talented.

"Watch Neil do "Ontario"?!?!? Do you mean "Helpless"?
  • cooldaddycooldaddy Posts: 52

My thoughts on Bob Dylan are completely seperate from this, but you forgot...Down by the River, Hey, Hey, My My, Cortez the Killer, Cinnamon Girl, From Hank to Hendrix, Sugar Mountain, Old Man...and many others. Neil's list is a good one, for sure.
    Sidewalk, Cigarettes, and Scenes

Pittsburgh 08-25-1998
    Pittsburgh 06-23-2006
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    Arguing over whether Dylan or Young is a better songwriter is like arguing over whether beer or wine is better. Sometimes you're in the mood for a brew and sometimes you want a nice glass of wine. Just enjoy them both, they're differently good.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I like Dylan, but Young is one of my favorites. I love him JUST as much as PJ. He is my favorite guitarist of all time, and he's a role model of mine, and he would be even if he were just a "normal" person, and didn't have any musical talent.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    I love Neil.

but i think its silly to try to put Dylan down .
    No one is Righteous.......
  • I'm hard pressed to disagree, but i have to.

Neil Young is a fucking God and i couldn't imagine my life without him.

The same goes for Dylan, and Dylan is a better and more important lyricist.

I really really love Neil Young, but Dylan is the best lyricist of all time.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    Alright, this is just a stupid thing to say. I don't even know where to start taking this apart. You give Dylan some respect in your dialougue, but the title of your thread is N. Young Kicks Bob Dylan's ass. First and foremost. Bob Dylan is quite possibly the greatest songwriter of all time. Don't get me wrong, I love Neil Young. But looking at from who has had the biggest impact music, Bob Dylan is undeniable. He is the most toured artist off all time. He is the most covered artist of all time, which if nothing else is the biggest compliment of all. My god, It's Bob freaking Dylan!
    tacos
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    By the way, I just stuck up for Neil in the other thread saying something fucking stupid that mentioned Neil's voice sounding like nails on a chalkboard. Dylan is still a better songwriter though. :)
    tacos
  • My favorite version of Blowin' in the Wind is Neil's on Weld.
  • "The Times They're A Changin"...Well, one could hope. First, I really like Dylan and a good share of his tunes. This post wasn't to diss Dylan, but to give kudos to Neil. I personally think Neil is a more talented, more versatile, and here's the controversial comment, better songwriter. Why? Who else can write "Ohio" in the late 60's, early 70's, "Needle and the Damage Done", Harvest Gold", Fuckin Up, Rockin in the free world, Harvest Moon, Long May you run...? How different are all those songs? His song "Philadelphia" to me was the Oscar winner that year, not Bruce Springsteens. He's made all sorts of albums and his songwriting is very obviously an influence on my fav Ed Vedder, so that's all the more reason to give props to Neil. Watch Neil do "Ontario" where he sits at the Organ, plays guitar, harmonica, and sings all in the same song...He's so talented.

NY is incredible....but he's not even close to Dylan.
    TORONTO 93, RANDALLS ISLAND 96, PITTSBURGH 98, PHOENIX 00, STATE COLLEGE 03, PITTSBURGH 03, PHILLY 03, HERSHEY 03, BOSTON 04, TOLEDO 04, TORONTO 05, PITTSBURGH 05, CLEVELAND 06, CAMDEN I 06, CAMDEN II 06, PITTSBURGH 06
  • suffragettesuffragette Posts: 253
    Arguing over whether Dylan or Young is a better songwriter is like arguing over whether beer or wine is better. Sometimes you're in the mood for a brew and sometimes you want a nice glass of wine. Just enjoy them both, they're differently good.

Dylan was so influencial. I was too young to appreciate that. Now I do. The PBS documentary by Scorcese was great. Dylan sang like a poet with a guitar, emphasizing words and all. Great stuff. The young Dylan bears a remarkable resemblance to Eddie, except for the bad teeth of course.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Hendrix never covered Neil Young

Dylan wins.
  • Title was that to draw interest...As one Ed Vedder said, "All the rusted signs that we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead" works like that on title threads as well.
    Does Neil kick Dylan's ass? No, god no, no one does, but I think Neil is as good or better. No one can deny Dylan's place in history and how he hit the ground running at a time that our country was in turmoil, but that said and done...I'm not too crazy about Bob's latest 15 years...he did have a nice album out that won a lot of awards, but Neil is constant and so ballsy. Neil has work that goes back to Buffalo Springfield too, which some consider a potential all time great band, not the best, but a great one if they stuck together, even Neil says it. I just look at Neil's body of work and the versatility and I think he's overlooked and not recognized as well as he should be. This topic is funny to me because I do like Dylan a lot.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    one thing's for sure... if by a slight chance in hell either neil or bob saw this thread they would laugh. i did!! :)

kicking ass. lol
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Hendrix never covered Neil Young

Dylan wins.
    hendrix died before Neil really hit it off didn't he? ;)

"Make our day"
  • Title was that to draw interest...As one Ed Vedder said, "All the rusted signs that we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead" works like that on title threads as well.
    Does Neil kick Dylan's ass? No, god no, no one does, but I think Neil is as good or better. No one can deny Dylan's place in history and how he hit the ground running at a time that our country was in turmoil, but that said and done...I'm not too crazy about Bob's latest 15 years...he did have a nice album out that won a lot of awards, but Neil is constant and so ballsy. Neil has work that goes back to Buffalo Springfield too, which some consider a potential all time great band, not the best, but a great one if they stuck together, even Neil says it. I just look at Neil's body of work and the versatility and I think he's overlooked and not recognized as well as he should be. This topic is funny to me because I do like Dylan a lot.
    Neil really has been consistantly amazing..

i mean he's NEVER faltered.

Dylan had some shady work in the 80's.. not terrible, but if you want to compare to anything else he's done, it's shit.

his last 2 albums are among his best work ever though, and i expect the new one in august to deliver as well.

Also Neil is mindblowing live.. which Dylan hasn't been since the mid seventies (and he used to be unbelievable, don't kid yourself).

"Make our day"
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    I love both of their work...but I would have to say that I like Dylan more.
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    Neil really has been consistantly amazing..

i mean he's NEVER faltered.

Dylan had some shady work in the 80's.. not terrible, but if you want to compare to anything else he's done, it's shit.

his last 2 albums are among his best work ever though, and i expect the new one in august to deliver as well.

Also Neil is mindblowing live.. which Dylan hasn't been since the mid seventies (and he used to be unbelievable, don't kid yourself).

Neil put out worse albums than Dylan did in the 80's. Dylan has "Shot Of Love" "Infidels" "Empire Burlesque" "Oh Mercy" and all of those are near classics.
    And yes, Dylan can be hit or miss in concert, but when he's on, he's the best there is
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    They are different. Dylan writes better lyrics, but Neil to me writes more touching and powerful lyrics.

If you could combine the two's skills....... They would be the greatest lyricist ever.

either way both are great, but I own twice as many neil albums as i own bob so i guess you know which i like more :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22