oh my poor mtv

zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
edited August 2006 in Other Music
oh my poor mtv what have they done to u, bevis and butthead is gone and so are all the music vids daria is no more and reality tv has taken over your fine quality rock,no more head bangers ball,no more celebrity smackdown, where has the muisic gone, i wonder what has happend, trends brats,when being pampered became "entertainment" for the rest of us,why?...
-Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
Los Angeles, 1969
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    headbangers ball is back you know... its just utter shit.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The MTV that I loved has been gone for years..........several of the shows that you mentioned are shown now on MTV2 or VH1 or VH1 classics.

How lame is the current MTV??? The network turns 25 years old and they don't mention it on the network?? No specials or such on MTV proper.....just another day in the life on the ultra-hip MTV. All the specials marking the anniversary were on VH1 Classics....which is probably not on a lot of cable systems (I am DirecTV guy).

It was cool to see the first hour of MTV and the entire first day of MTV replayed (sans VJ interludes) on VH1 classics. My old cable system did not pick up MTV until summer of 1982, but I remembered a lot of the videos shown the other day. There were some cool ones and some real clunkers (way too much REO Speedwagon).

It was nice to see videos from the original line-up of the Pretenders (three different ones), the Who (two different ones) and Split Enz (History never repeats).
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    mtv it´s getting worse day by day, mostly all their videos are for pop or hip hop artist, and a few emo nu metal bands, but let me tell you something when we started to think that the past was better it means you´re getting old..........
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    wait...mtv used to be good? lol, sorry but as a 15 year old the mtv you describe is the only one I know..and trust me I hate it too

I love how the first video MTV played was "Video Killed the Radio Star"...how brilliantly ironic while looking back on it, and how prophetic really.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • The start of boybands (Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, and 98 Degrees) was the beginning of the end for MTV...boybands have been replaced by a bunch of pussy emo bands like "Fall Out Boy" and "Panic! At the Disco" which are pretty much boybands who suck at their instruments.

I'll have to quote Eddie on this issue and remind everyone that listening to Good Charlotte is like "eating a popsicle that was shoved up someone's ass
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    The start of boybands (Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, and 98 Degrees) was the beginning of the end for MTV...boybands have been replaced by a bunch of pussy emo bands like "Fall Out Boy" and "Panic! At the Disco" which are pretty much boybands who suck at their instruments.

I'll have to quote Eddie on this issue and remind everyone that listening to Good Charlotte is like "eating a popsicle that was shoved up someone's ass

that just made my day. i wholeheartedly agree.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    headbangers ball is back you know... its just utter shit.
    yeah but not the good one any way im goin on a mtv boycott and what does vh1 stand 4,if it has somthing to do with muisic im boycotting that too
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
    tonadax wrote:
    mtv it´s getting worse day by day, mostly all their videos are for pop or hip hop artist, and a few emo nu metal bands, but let me tell you something when we started to think that the past was better it means you´re getting old..........

i was 2 when mtv was good,when they had muisic related shows ya know

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I miss Beavis and Butthead now! :( That movie was hilarious. Thank God for the Mike Judge Collections.

Fuck you MTV! :mad:
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    zelda4ever wrote:
    yeah but not the good one any way im goin on a mtv boycott and what does vh1 stand 4,if it has somthing to do with muisic im boycotting that too

stands for video hits 1
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
    danny72688 wrote:
    I miss Beavis and Butthead now! :( That movie was hilarious. Thank God for the Mike Judge Collections.

Fuck you MTV! :mad:
    uhh..movie, the series was better

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
    zelda4ever wrote:
    uhh..movie, the series was better

You need to watch that movie again. I'm near tears when I watch it :D
    Series is good, but movie wins becuase it's like 20 episodes in one ;)
    danny72688 wrote:
    You need to watch that movie again. I'm near tears when I watch it :D
    Series is good, but movie wins becuase it's like 20 episodes in one ;)
    what is a b&b episode without a vid commentary,i see no vid commentary on the movie series wins

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
    zelda4ever wrote:
    what is a b&b episode without a vid commentary,i see no vid commentary on the movie series wins

Well played.... Alright you win. But the movie kicks ass anyway! :D
    danny72688 wrote:
    Well played.... Alright you win. But the movie kicks ass anyway! :D
    ok! yeah the movie does kick ass, hey do you have the b&b game, i do
    http://www.gamespot.com/genesis/adventure/beavisandbutthead/index.html
    it kicks ass too so buy it

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
    zelda4ever wrote:
    ok! yeah the movie does kick ass, hey do you have the b&b game, i do
    http://www.gamespot.com/genesis/adventure/beavisandbutthead/index.html
    it kicks ass too so buy it

:eek: Beavis and Butthead the game! How did this slip through the radar?! Off to ebay.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    mtv makes me wanna smoke crack...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i want my mtv
    brain of c wrote:
    i want my mtv
    are you kidding or do you want the old mtv?

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I dont even bother with mtv at all, its always pimp my ride, my sweet 16th, or whatever the hell it is, or some other crap reality show.

Vh2 used to play half decent music but thats completely changed now as well, mtv2 is the only channel there is a slight chance ill see music videos i like.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    we got to be realistics, mtv put videos of rock bands that young people ´´14 to 21´´ like, this is their goal market, their product : the rasmus, green day, h.i.m, korn, the killers,etc

i remember when mtv used to play pearl jam,nirvana,ratm,etc videos all the day, 80´s fans feeled disapointing and fustrated like us ´´90´s gen´´ feel today with mtv too...
    i have an idea, lets buy a bunch of mtv award show tickets and boo off all the people that got awards but shouldnt have,like booty rappers and stuff, last year b&b made an apperance trying to get back on mtv so if that happens again we cheer our lungs out, but i cant come so its just a thought, you think they will get the hint?...

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    tonadax wrote:
    we got to be realistics, mtv put videos of rock bands that young people ´´14 to 21´´ like, this is their goal market, their product : the rasmus, green day, h.i.m, korn, the killers,etc

i remember when mtv used to play pearl jam,nirvana,ratm,etc videos all the day, 80´s fans feeled disapointing and fustrated like us ´´90´s gen´´ feel today with mtv too...

I know what you mean but there are enough crap music channels for people who like pop music/rnb and stuff like that.

I get about 25 music channels and MTV2 is the only decent one, although they rarely play Pearl Jam. There is one called Kerrang which occasionally has a decent video but the rest is all terrible.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    tonadax wrote:

I agree. This 80's child/90's teen is starting to feel old. It's like Bob Seger once said: "Today's music ain't got the same soul/I like that old time rock and roll."
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    really the only way I see videos is either on the net or by On Demand TV. MTV does not play videos anymore. Hey remember when they actually played two viedos in a row without any break in between? It's been years, absolutely years.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    They don't call it EmptyV for nothing, folks. :)