Down-Over The Under (Down III)

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited September 2007 in Other Music
anyone get this? i listened to it once over the course of two days and i have to say i like it more than i thought i would. i really dig Down II even though Phils lyrics and verses are weak (the chorus' on all the songs rule). i like how Phil is trying to sing more on this one.. although i do miss his roar from time to time. musically everthing is big and heavy and ballsy, just what i was expecting. i need to listen to this for a week straight until i have a proper review.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KYCATKYCAT Posts: 89
    I plan on picking it up tonight after work. I can't wait. The only song I've heard thus far is "Mourn" Loved NOLA and II. I have seen them live once and am going again next month. They are incredible. Pep and Kirk are unbelievable together. I am biased though because I think Pepper Keenan can do no wrong. I recommend everyone pick up the last COC album Into the Arms of God. One of the best records in years.
  • Fuck yeah, this album is awesome.

Down are kickass...
  • DOWN FANS!!! HELLOOOOO!!!!
    I thought I was on my own on here! I LOVE Down (second favourite band next to PJ) I have the NOLA Fleur De Lys tattooed on my left shoulder (pic on my myspace... check sig) :D
    I got Over The Under in March (thanks to a connection to the band and to generally being jammy... lol) I got the final drum edit but it was so awesome. Got me the official release on Monday and I have to say it's better than the drum edit although I have more tracks on that..... only complaint is they changed the lyrics on 'NOD', the line about 'St Vitus Dance' was scrapped :( and 'Mourn' is simply awe inspiring but nothing beats 'On March the Saints' for me, sums up Down's music perfectly IMO.
    I love the album, I love all their albums and they're amazing live. Roll on the rumoured 2008 tour.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Edge34Edge34 Posts: 233
    Personally i think the album is solid. I enjoy Down quite abit but i still like COC better. I wish Pepper would focus on COC. In the Arms of God is simply awesome.
  • Edge34 wrote:
    Personally i think the album is solid. I enjoy Down quite abit but i still like COC better. I wish Pepper would focus on COC. In the Arms of God is simply awesome.

I love COC too, I agree, Arms of God is an amazing album but i'm just happy that these people are producing the music in COC, Down, Crowbar or whatever! they're geniuses! :D
    I do like the fact that you can hear Pep's guitar style more on the new album though, there's some right COC riffs on a couple of tracks and you can really hear he's had a big influence on the writing.... that makes me happy :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Is there anything like Mountains of Meggido or whatever it was called, on this record? I really liked that sound
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    The album is rock fucking solid. 3 suns 1 star is a great intro, I've listened to it through about a dozen times now and I'm just getting more out of each listen. Though it would be nice if phil whipped outa superjoint record just for the hell of it :D:p
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Binaural wrote:
    would be nice if phil whipped outa superjoint record just for the hell of it :D:p

That ain't gonna happen, him and Kevin Bond no longer speak. All that was said was 'nobody bosses the boss'. I was gutted when I found out, I love Superjoint.

• Is there anything like Mountains of Meggido or whatever it was called, on this record? I really liked that sound

Not exactly but I will say the albums like the best bits of NOLA and II IMO. Melodic but heavy and there's no mistaking the Down sound, I really like the way the individual artists are so apparent, you can hear each instrument as if it were a COC, Crowbar or EYEHATEGOD album but it all just melts together perfectly in a Down montage framed by Phil's distinctive growl! Musical heaven! :D
    If you like 'Landing on the Mountains of Meggido' on II, 'Nothing in Return' may appeal to you from III... It's EPIC!!!

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i really like the last three songs: Pillamyd, In The Thrall Of It All, Nothing In Return.

also really really like Never Try and Three Suns and One Star.

read somewhere that the Euro version has an extra song!! i forgot to order that version and now i'm pissed off.
  • Edge34 wrote:
    i still like COC better. I wish Pepper would focus on COC. In the Arms of God is simply awesome.

That there sums it up for me. Just can't get into Down. Never really cared for Phil's vocals.
  • i really like the last three songs: Pillamyd, In The Thrall Of It All, Nothing In Return.

also really really like Never Try and Three Suns and One Star.

read somewhere that the Euro version has an extra song!! i forgot to order that version and now i'm pissed off.

Yeah we do... but I have even more songs... perks of having connections to the band :D

• The Vacant wrote:
    That there sums it up for me. Just can't get into Down. Never really cared for Phil's vocals.

Hmm I can understand why people can't get into Down, I know plenty of people who feel the same and it does generally seem to be Phil's vocals that put them off :(

COC are amazing though, they haven't produced a bad album after 'Blind' (Animosity and Technocracy were ok but it just got better and better when Pepper took over from Woody on vox) but 'Wiseblood' is one of the best metal albums ever IMO.

• I've listened to this whole album everyday since it was released. Love every song and am looking forward to seeing them live. Its good to see Pearl Jam fans that like Down
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    wonder if the band is going to play "New Orleans is a Dying Whore" live.

this song is an example of one of my big problems with Down II. seems like the chorus/hook was written first and the verses came later (the chorus rocks but the verses blow). same with "Stained Glass Cross". i love both these songs but i cant help but wonder what they'd be like with a little more time.
  • I've listened to this whole album everyday since it was released. Love every song and am looking forward to seeing them live. Its good to see Pearl Jam fans that like Down

certainly is!! :D

• Hmm I can understand why people can't get into Down, I know plenty of people who feel the same and it does generally seem to be Phil's vocals that put them off :(

COC are amazing though, they haven't produced a bad album after 'Blind' (Animosity and Technocracy were ok but it just got better and better when Pepper took over from Woody on vox) but 'Wiseblood' is one of the best metal albums ever IMO.
    wiseblood is my fave metal album,after downIII ;)