I don't like The Bends

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited January 2008 in Other Music
today i added Planet Telex, High & Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Bones, Just, My Iron Lung, Black Star and Street Spirit onto iTunes and i have to say i don't like it at all. My Iron Lung is okay and i always sort of liked Black Star and Street Spirit but you can keep the rest. i also don't like Pablo Honey at all. everything from OK Computer on is awesome though. sometimes i feel like i'm missing something w/ Radiohead and i go back to check these 2 records out and i'm just underwhelmed. anyone else feel this way?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah you really are missing something, the title track is amazing, the guitar interplay is immense. I think it's easy to look back on those earlier records and think they are less progressive or original, but back in the early - mid 90's, nobody sounded like Radiohead.

It's probably easier to like those records if they were the first thing you heard from the band. I kind of went off Radiohead after OK Computer, but I'm slowly coming back round - In Rainbows is a serious return to form in my view.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    yeah, the first Radiohead record i bought was OK Computer and i don't think i even heard The Bends or Pablo Honey until after Kid A was out.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I don't see how people keep saying In Rainbows is a return to form. Hail to the Theif was, but this one reminds me a lot more of Kid A with all the electronic noise. That being said, Bodysnatchers is the bomb.
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, and Bones are awesome...
    Street Spirit is amazing...

Give it another listen... it'll get under your skin..
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • gabers wrote:
    I don't see how people keep saying In Rainbows is a return to form. Hail to the Theif was, but this one reminds me a lot more of Kid A with all the electronic noise. That being said, Bodysnatchers is the bomb.

There's a lot more organic musicianship going on on In Rainbows, it's pretty subtle but it's definitely there. I didn't really get it at first, took me a few months, but now I love it.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I don't like a lot of things...but I don't start threads on them. :p

I guess i've never really "got" Radiohead as such, but it doesn't bother me. They have a few good songs, Street Spirit and High and Dry being amongst them.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    It's in the top 5 albums of all times, for me :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    audiodave wrote:
    I don't like a lot of things...but I don't start threads on them. :p

I guess i've never really "got" Radiohead as such, but it doesn't bother me. They have a few good songs, Street Spirit and High and Dry being amongst them.
    Everyone else does. Go for it! :)
    Well, I don't.

I like the Bends. Love Fake Plastic Trees...again...good memories. :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • You should hear Panic at the Disco!'s version of The Bends. THEN you'd like it. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I love the Bends

soundtrack of my 1996 summer
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I listened to this last weekend while I was in the shower. I think its a cd that really should be listened to from beginning to end in order in one setting. I think you'll lose something if you bounce around in the songs or skip one, you're kind of missing something.

maybe its just me. :)
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    What a coincidence, this is the only Radiohead album that I really like, a few good songs on Pablo Honey but I havent gotten into anything else from them
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    First Radiohead album i bought and still the one i love the most.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    My least favourite Radiohead album after Pablo Honey

for me, Kid A > OK Computer > In Rainbows > Hail to the thief > Amnesiac > The Bends > Pablo Honey
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    today i added Planet Telex, High & Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Bones, Just, My Iron Lung, Black Star and Street Spirit onto iTunes and i have to say i don't like it at all. My Iron Lung is okay and i always sort of liked Black Star and Street Spirit but you can keep the rest. i also don't like Pablo Honey at all. everything from OK Computer on is awesome though. sometimes i feel like i'm missing something w/ Radiohead and i go back to check these 2 records out and i'm just underwhelmed. anyone else feel this way?

no. not me. i am so high on in rainbows atm, jonny greenwood could tell me he was a woman and i'd be ok with it. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    The Bends > OK Computer > Pablo Honey > everything else.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
    gleemonex wrote:
    The Bends > OK Computer > Pablo Honey > everything else.

almost.

OK computer > in rainbows > the bends > pablo honey > everything else. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    hmmmm, for me

The Bends > OK Computer > In Rainbows > Kid A > Hail To The Thief > Amnesiac > Pablo Honey
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • I rate my Radiohead albums in three groupings:

Ok Computer = The Bends > Kid A=In Rainbows > Everything Else.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The Bends has some AMAZING songs on there. It has a few duds too, but it's the easiest Radiohead album so I find that I listen to it the most.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    the bends is my fave but i publically acknowledge the greatness of OK computer as their best. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • My Iron Lung is the greatest Radiohead song there is. I think anyway
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com