Dinosaur Jr

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited May 2008 in Other Music
just picked up Without A Sound for $6 at an indie store... Dino Jr was always one of those bands i've heard so many good things about but never gave them a listen. i remember a video back in the day where they were playing golf all over the city...don't remember the name of the song but i liked it. so i'm 6 songs in and i'm saying to myself, "why didn't i ever listen to these guys?" dumbass.

any fans? i've heard their first couple of records w/ the original lineup is the way to go but i have no idea. how's their newest record that came out in 2007?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I thought their most recent album was amazing. Really surprised me.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    awesome band. i've listened to the new album A LOT since it came out about a year ago. My favorite album still might be Where You Been... maybe because it was my soundtrack for trips up to Vermont years ago... or maybe because it's full of great songs and blistering and/or haunting J Mascis guitar solos! but once you get into this band, you're gonna need all of their songs. some might say the original lineup was the best - it doesn't really matter to me. J is the heart and soul of that band. but Lou Barlow has a sweet tune on the new record - Back to Your Heart.
  • jack_bass_playerjack_bass_player Posts: 1,126
    dinosaur jr really are an awesome band, and very underrated.

started listening to them about 2 years ago.. have to agree with previous poster as "where you been" is also my favourite album... Mascis' solos on that record are just immense! really great album.

got really excited in 2007 for the release of "beyond" and my excitement was more than justified - it's a fantastic album. love it.

saw them for the first (and unfortunately only) time in august 07 at leeds festival here in the UK, great show. hopefully get to see them again soon.

rock on.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
    if you're that impressed with Without a Sound... then you're in for a treat, because even though it's great and has their biggest hit... it's generally thought of as their least good album by most Dino Jr fans, including me.
    haha... listening to Beyond right now.

i had to put on Been There All the Time and dance around like the big dork that i am.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    get Dinosaur, Bug and You're Living All Over Me. Clearly their best.

The cover of The Cure's Just Like Heaven on You're Living... is amazing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    just picked up Without A Sound for $6 at an indie store... Dino Jr was always one of those bands i've heard so many good things about but never gave them a listen. i remember a video back in the day where they were playing golf all over the city...don't remember the name of the song but i liked it. so i'm 6 songs in and i'm saying to myself, "why didn't i ever listen to these guys?" dumbass.

any fans? i've heard their first couple of records w/ the original lineup is the way to go but i have no idea. how's their newest record that came out in 2007?

The vid you speak of is Feel The Pain from Without A Sound, Where You Been would be the best album to get next featuring Out There or Green Mind which is also awesome.
    Or the albums Jeremey said.:)

Edit: You cant really go wrong with the J Masics and the Dinosaur back catalogue, Martin and Me is an excellent solo accoustic live cd by J, which should be on everyones shelf.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Absolutely amazing band....if you;re just discovering them now then you are in for such a treat with the wealth of great stuff by them out there.

Definitely get Where You Been. It was one of the records that really got me into music when I was 16 long with PJ's Ten, Sugar's Copper Blue, Belly's Star and Primal Scream's Screamadelica.

Their latest is and excellent record too, one of last years best albums.

They are incredibly ear shredding live too.....my ears rang for two days afterwards
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I find they're one of those bands that are so underrated that people who like them decide to go overboard on the hype, leading to a strange no man's land between underrated and overrated (see also: The Shins, Pavement).

They're alright, but I was hugely disappointed when I saw them live. It seemed like a challenge to how loud they could play without someone spontaneously throwing up. I'm all for loud music, but it was so loud all I could hear during the gig was ringing in my ears (even when I put in my earplugs) so it was kinda hard to make out any of the songs! Out of all the gigs I've been to, that gig was easily 3-4 times louder than any other.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    thanks to everyone who replied... it's a great help. at that indie shop they also had Where You Been on vinyl but i didn't get it....should of though.

has anyone heard Witch, the band that J Masics playes drums in?
    fowls wrote:
    I find they're one of those bands that are so underrated that people who like them decide to go overboard on the hype, leading to a strange no man's land between underrated and overrated (see also: The Shins, Pavement).

They're alright, but I was hugely disappointed when I saw them live. It seemed like a challenge to how loud they could play without someone spontaneously throwing up. I'm all for loud music, but it was so loud all I could hear during the gig was ringing in my ears (even when I put in my earplugs) so it was kinda hard to make out any of the songs! Out of all the gigs I've been to, that gig was easily 3-4 times louder than any other.
    I don't think any of those bands could ever be described as underrated really, especially Pavement who were critical darlings AND sold about as many records as it's possible to sell without signing to a major.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • The girl in the Start Choppin' video, with all that green paint on her face, was smokin' hot. Stunningly beautiful. But slightly stern looking. Always wondered if it was Sea. :D
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Dinosaur Jr is great...i owned both "Where You Been" and "Without A Sound" then i lost track of them completely until i started to download some albums i had never heard of...Green Mind and the first releases are good too. I think they made a great comeback with "Beyond", i wonder why they didn't get much media attention.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I rank them as follows:

Where Ya Been
    You're Living All Over Me
    Green Mind
    Bug
    Beyond
    Dinosaur
    Without A Sound
    Hand It Over (worst album but a must have for the song ALONE)

Plus J's solo stuff is awesome too. Particulary Free so Free
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    intodeep wrote:
    Hand It Over (worst album but a must have for the song ALONE)
    and Nothin's Going On, I'm Insane.

The only one I don't care for it their debut.

and to the OP, no Dino Jr. thread is complete without the obligatory mention of Maggot Brain. Seek it out on Mike Watt's Ballhog or Tugboat. I mean, you really need to seek it out.

I thought Witch was OK, nothing groundbreaking.
    transplant wrote:
    and Nothin's Going On, I'm Insane.

The only one I don't care for it their debut.

and to the OP, no Dino Jr. thread is complete without the obligatory mention of Maggot Brain. Seek it out on Mike Watt's Ballhog or Tugboat. I mean, you really need to seek it out.

I thought Witch was OK, nothing groundbreaking.
    I yelled out Maggot Brain when Dino played Reading last year but Lou said they didn't have the time :o I bet J would have played it before the original lineup reformed ;)

You could actually faintly hear me on the BBC footage. I'm such a twat :p