Broken Social Scene steal the show at Lollapalooza - RHCP upstaged

Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
edited August 2006 in Other Music
According to an article in the Toronto paper today Broken Social Scene stole the show at Lolla this year....this comes as no surprise to me at all - they rule live. The article says that their set drew over 1/4 of the crowd to the side stage and when their set ended the crowd chanted for an encore "One more song, we won't go!!!!" ..... as the Chilis were supposed to be starting their set on the main stage. According to the article the band wasnt sure what proper festival encore protocol was - but the crowd wouldn't take no for an answer. Lolla organizers told them they could play an encore but only if it was OK with the Chilis people. Apparently the Chilis refused to let BSS do their encore - which resulted tin the crowd chanting "Fuck The Peppers".....LOVE IT - RHCP's SUCK (the article also said the Chilis set was boring or flacid - big surprise there too)
In my world everyone is a pony,
and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Todd76 wrote:
    According to an article in the Toronto paper today Broken Social Scene stole the show at Lolla this year....this comes as no surprise to me at all - they rule live. The article says that their set drew over 1/4 of the crowd to the side stage and when their set ended the crowd chanted for an encore "One more song, we won't go!!!!" ..... as the Chilis were supposed to be starting their set on the main stage. According to the article the band wasnt sure what proper festival encore protocol was - but the crowd wouldn't take no for an answer. Lolla organizers told them they could play an encore but only if it was OK with the Chilis people. Apparently the Chilis refused to let BSS do their encore - which resulted tin the crowd chanting "Fuck The Peppers".....LOVE IT - RHCP's SUCK (the article also said the Chilis set was boring and flacid - big surprise there too)

wow - that is amazing. bss is one of my favorite bands right now and i would have loved to see that.

hope the chili peppers haven't forgotten what it was like to be in their spot
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • nippleholicnippleholic Posts: 1,084
    what paper was this? I'd like to read it...
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)
    2024: Vancouver (x2), Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas (x2), Los Angeles (x2), Dublin, Manchester, London, Berlin (x2), Barcelona (x2)

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    :D That's brilliant. Chili Peppers have really gone to the dogs lately.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    what paper was this? I'd like to read it...

Toronto Star - they also spoke very highly of the Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips and Sleater Kinney sets.....wish i could'a been there
  • GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    I was checking out Blues Traveler before RHCP so missed Broken Social Scene, or just heard them from distance as I was walking to that side of the park, so couldnt really judge how good they were...

I did watch RHCP from very long distance (about mid-way of the field) they played their songs ok I guess. It was a typical big time rock show, I think Flea was naked, in some kind of body paint made him look like visible man, couldnt tell really good from the giant screen because it kept on cutting away from him. Flea also made a funny remark about thinking for a split sec. damn the moon looks big tonight and low, seeing one of those lolla light-balloons. It was ok, it was fun, by no means the best band of the weekend, but I wouldnt say they were boring...
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    To each his own I guess. Not everyone likes the Peppers as is probably the case with the Toronto Star writer but on the other hand alot of people do. Here's a link from the vh1 site with a summary of some of the acts.

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1538019/20060807/west_kanye.jhtml?headlines=true
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    not a surprise. people who go to see rhcp for the first time expect an amazing show, and all they get is an average band with a great guitarist. and im not saying this to mess with rhcp fans- i've been one for years and am even going to see them in october (with friends who never have). its just they get too much attention for what they are.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • No offense, but I almost fell asleep listening to the 30 second samples of the Broken Social Scene cd on Itunes. I'd probably go into a coma if a listened to the whole thing. I guess I just find Indie-pop or whatever it's categorized as, as boring. Peppers on the the other, I love, but they can be hit or miss live.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    We parked ourselves during the QOTSA set about midfield between the two stages, so when BSS came on we could hear them pretty well. I definitely heard the "one more song" chants. But, being there their entire set, nothing really stood out to me.

And the fans should have known it wouldn't happen- Lolla was VERY efficient with starting bands on opposite side stages right after the other band finished.
    No offense, but I almost fell asleep listening to the 30 second samples of the Broken Social Scene cd on Itunes. I'd probably go into a coma if a listened to the whole thing. I guess I just find Indie-pop or whatever it's categorized as, as boring. Peppers on the the other, I love, but they can be hit or miss live.

Well boring is certainly one word I have never heard used to describe BSS - the Chilis on the other hand....YAWN. But to each their own - I actually read one guy post that Lolla sucked because their wasnt enough classic rock....talk about barking up the wrong tree
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    yeah bss played for like 3 hours at the calgary show.. they were just here for folk festival too

good stuff... feist is really good aswell
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    the chili peppers were ok, but nothing to write home about. id have liked to have seen broken social scene becos ive heard so many great things about them, but i went from wilco to blues traveler.

flaming lips were definitely standouts and death cab really did a fantastic job closing out night one... way better than any of the times i saw them open for pearl jam.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Red Lukin wrote:

Hmph. Gimme a non-Canadian saying the same thing and I'll buy it. This line in particular:
    It was revealing to step outside the Toronto bubble and confirm during BSS's gangbusters Sunday-night set at this year's massive Lollapalooza festival that our most saturation-hyped contemporary musical export is indeed as popular with the kids as we in the media often claim.

just suggested to me that he was looking for validation for what he was about to say.

I'm not debating whether BSS's set "upstaged" RHCP or not- I can't make a qualified judgment on it- but I can't buy this guy's judgment either.
  • I hate to hear that about the Peppers, but BSS are one of the best bands around today.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    AndySlash wrote:
    Hmph. Gimme a non-Canadian saying the same thing and I'll buy it.

If anything BSS is suffering from a popularity backlash here in the Toronto area - they get slagged in the media as much as praised anymore....they get played on the radio here so now they arent cool
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    I've never heard Broken Social Scene, but from what I've read and heard about them they sound like the kind of band that, at this point in my life, I really have no time for, and would probably really dislike. I really love the Red Hot Chili Pepper's last record, but I do think they are kind of long in the tooth nowadays. Anyways, it really comes as no suprise that the Chili Peppers would get blown off stage by an opener. It happens all the time. Everyone I've know who's seen them has told me that the opener stole the show. I've seen the Chili's once, and while the opener was not really remarkable, neither was the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Sathogwa wrote:
    I've never heard Broken Social Scene, but from what I've read and heard about them they sound like the kind of band that, at this point in my life, I really have no time for, and would probably really dislike. I really love the Red Hot Chili Pepper's last record, but I do think they are kind of long in the tooth nowadays. Anyways, it really comes as no suprise that the Chili Peppers would get blown off stage by an opener. It happens all the time. Everyone I've know who's seen them has told me that the opener stole the show. I've seen the Chili's once, and while the opener was not really remarkable, neither was the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    don't sell BSS short. Give them a shot. :)

"Make our day"
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    don't sell BSS short. Give them a shot. :)

Those are wise words indeed my friend--and I hate to sound so reactionary. But at this point in my life I know what I like and I know what I dislike. I really don't have the time to devote to checking out a band that I'll probably not care for anyway. I have found that I really do NOT like the whole indie/hipster, angular hair cut, too-tight t-shirt music thing at all. I would rather spend my time listening to the latest Mississippi Fred McDowell reissue or a kick ass Pearl Jam boot, or playing guitar and (attempting) to write my own songs than entertain some of that stuff. My musical tastes would probably be considered really lame by most, but at this point in time I don't give a fuck any more. This is not to knock people who are into the kind of music I just put down. If you dig it man, keep on truckin'. That's alright with me. I just don't care for it. But, you never know--maybe I'll hear a song by BSS someday and be blown away. That has happened before.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Sathogwa wrote:
    Those are wise words indeed my friend--and I hate to sound so reactionary. But at this point in my life I know what I like and I know what I dislike. I really don't have the time to devote to checking out a band that I'll probably not care for anyway. I have found that I really do NOT like the whole indie/hipster, angular hair cut, too-tight t-shirt music thing at all. I would rather spend my time listening to the latest Mississippi Fred McDowell reissue or a kick ass Pearl Jam boot, or playing guitar and (attempting) to write my own songs than entertain some of that stuff. My musical tastes would probably be considered really lame by most, but at this point in time I don't give a fuck any more. This is not to knock people who are into the kind of music I just put down. If you dig it man, keep on truckin'. That's alright with me. I just don't care for it. But, you never know--maybe I'll hear a song by BSS someday and be blown away. That has happened before.
    I don't really see them as a hipster band so much though.. the hipsters are definetly into them in a big way but they aren't death cab for cutie or anything.

"Make our day"
  • nippleholicnippleholic Posts: 1,084
    Broken Social Scene aren't for everyone...it's a totally different kettle of fish (especially for most of the people on this board)...you're musical tastes have to be pretty wide-ranging to enjoy both BSS and PJ...

however, being a huge fan of both PJ and BSS and having seen both bands multiple times, I can safely say that these two bands put on fantastic live shows...and having seen RHCP only once, I can say they haven't really changed their setlist at all since 2003 (and were naturally blown away by their openers - Queens of the Stone Age and The Mars Volta)...
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)
    2024: Vancouver (x2), Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas (x2), Los Angeles (x2), Dublin, Manchester, London, Berlin (x2), Barcelona (x2)

• GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    just want to mention, Ween were way better than Death Cab For Cutie, I cut that scene about 1 minute in, syrupy pop songs for kids thats DCFC, or at least my split second judgement. Ween on the other hand blew my fucking mind away, it was my first time seeing them and I was amazed.