the Rheostatics Final Show...ever

Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
edited November 2006 in Other Music
On March 30th, 2007 the Rheostatics will perform their final show at the historic Massey Hall in Toronto. Original member Tim Vesely will be leaving the band after 21 years. The Rheos have released 11 incredible albums over their career....when Chart Magazine released their top 50 Canadian albums of all time the Rheos had 2 albums in the top 5 (Melville and Whale Music).

I personally have seen this band live more than any other band, they put on one of the best live shows I have ever seen and I will miss seeing them multiple times every year. I was lucky enough to pick up amazing seats to this show and I am really looking forward to it, although it is going to be a very bittersweet evening - their fans are very dedicated/devoted and I think this night will be one giant Rheos love fest (I have seen them play for 3 hours on an ordinary night, so who knows how long they will go)

I don't expect this thread to get much attention - in fact I am really only expecting 1 response (Mr Wolf) - as this band has always been vastly overlooked and underappreciated even here in Canada.

....MY QUESTION IS: after 21 years, 11 albums, and an immense catalogue of amazing songs.....what song will they play as their last song EVER????

I can imagine it will be a very difficult evening for the band and the choice of their last song would have to be a tough one.....my guess is it will be a Tim song and I am putting my money on "King Of The Past" (but what the hell do I know)
In my world everyone is a pony,
and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I already have tickets. :)
    Cock Fight.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Todd76 wrote:
    ....MY QUESTION IS: after 21 years, 11 albums, and an immense catalogue of amazing songs.....what song will they play as their last song EVER????

I can imagine it will be a very difficult evening for the band and the choice of their last song would have to be a tough one.....my guess is it will be a Tim song and I am putting my money on "King Of The Past" (but what the hell do I know)

"King of the Past" would indeed be very fitting, but my vote goes to "Saskatchewan". It's such a beautiful and powerful song, and I've heard them play it last at more than a couple of Rheos shows. As for an opening song, I hope they go with "A Midwinter Night's Dream". That song kicks my ass.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • :( :( :(

...i once held in my hands the double neck, triple maple leaf guitar...
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    direwolf74 wrote:
    "King of the Past" would indeed be very fitting, but my vote goes to "Saskatchewan". It's such a beautiful and powerful song, and I've heard them play it last at more than a couple of Rheos shows. As for an opening song, I hope they go with "A Midwinter Night's Dream". That song kicks my ass.

"A Midwinter Nights Dream" is probably my favourite Rheos song....and seeing Tielli play that song live is SCARY.......The truck, the wires, the white silence of the coming blue fires

....Sweet, sweet silence. I'm already gone.
    :( :( :(

...i once held in my hands the double neck, triple maple leaf guitar...

Tielli is a guitar god.....you are a very lucky man
    Todd76 wrote:
    Tielli is a guitar god.....you are a very lucky man

Agreed. Tielli is easily one of the best guitarists on the planet. The way he plays is so incredibly unique and emotive, and the sounds he conjures up are out of this world. Ya gotta love the double-neck triple maple leaf guitar. It's his trademark. If you guys haven't already, I recommend checking out his solo work as well. His album "We Didn't Even Suspect He Was the Poppy Salesman" is freakin' amazing. The entire thing is just Tielli and an acoustic guitar.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Todd76 wrote:
    "A Midwinter Nights Dream" is probably my favourite Rheos song....and seeing Tielli play that song live is SCARY.......The truck, the wires, the white silence of the coming blue fires

....Sweet, sweet silence. I'm already gone.

That part gives me chills everytime! That song really knocks you on your ass when they do it live. The version from "Double Live" is incredibly intense.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Agreed. Tielli is easily one of the best guitarists on the planet. The way he plays is so incredibly unique and emotive, and the sounds he conjures up are out of this world. Ya gotta love the double-neck triple maple leaf guitar. It's his trademark. If you guys haven't already, I recommend checking out his solo work as well. His album "We Didn't Even Suspect He Was the Poppy Salesman" is freakin' amazing. The entire thing is just Tielli and an acoustic guitar.

When I first saw the Rheos live and Martin came out with that crazy little Steinburger guitar I wondered what the hell he was doing.....but man, the sounds that he can get out of that goofy little black box are crazy - such a gifted musician.

the Nick Buzz CD "Circo" is really good too (Martins other band)...the CD is out of print now and really hard to find

Both of his solo albums are great (Poppy Salesman and Operation Infinite Joy) - and totally different.....at one point I heard something that he was releasing a "trilogy" concept album, 3 or 4 discs (one was going to be classical or instrumental???) - do you know if anything ever came out of that
    Actually I found this on Tielli's site. I have never heard anything about the "Schoenberg Cabarets".....

Martin Tielli subscription series:

In 2003, Martin committed to the most tragically ambitious music project to come out of Canada's independent music scene in a very long time: four wildly divergent CDs, packaged in collector's edition tin cases with original artwork by Tielli, one year for delivery. It didn't quite happen. Two have been delivered; two remain outstanding.

And, in October 2005, Martin issued an apology of sorts to subscribers.

The first two subscription releases -- Operation Infinite Joy and Schoenberg Cabarets -- have met with terrific acclaim. And, as above, two remain.

A small number of subscriptions are still available. Each CD is delivered in a numbered, collector's edition tin box. In the hopper ....

#3: The Ghost of Danny G.
    The seeds of this recording were planted with Nick Buzz. Now in full gear, this will be a portrait of rural southern Ontario inside the true and complex story of a haunted town. Be afraid -- be very afraid.

#4: New Gold
    A collaboration with noted producer Jon Goldsmith (also of Nick Buzz). This work in progress is symphonic, arranged by Jon.

Total Subscription price: $100 plus tax (extra shipping for international orders). Upon ordering, you will receive a voucher specifying your "limited edition" number and receipt.

To order, visit Six Shooter Records