Death Cab For Cutie....help????

Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
edited October 2006 in Other Music
My wife is a HUGE DC4C fan and her b-day is coming up.....we own Transatlantacism and Plans - are any of their other albums worth picking up/similar to these two

.....i'm torn b/w a DC4C album or the new Belle & Sebastian (The Life Pursuit)

....we are going to see Mojave 3 in Toronto - a very musical b-day celebration
In my world everyone is a pony,
and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Todd76 wrote:
    My wife is a HUGE DC4C fan and her b-day is coming up.....we own Transatlantacism and Plans - are any of their other albums worth picking up/similar to these two

.....i'm torn b/w a DC4C album or the new Belle & Sebastian (The Life Pursuit)

....we are going to see Mojave 3 in Toronto - a very musical b-day celebration

Funny how my first post on a Pearl Jam board is about Death Cab, but ah well. My second favorite album (my first being Transatlanticism) is Something About Airplanes. Photo Album would rank as my third favorite. The new Belle and Sebastian is pretty awesome though, so you can't go wrong with that. My suggestion, buy her Something About Airplanes and The Life Pursuit. I guarantee she'll say yes to just about anything you ask, if you catch my drift.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    KiDLiQuiD wrote:
    Funny how my first post on a Pearl Jam board is about Death Cab, but ah well. My second favorite album (my first being Transatlanticism) is Something About Airplanes. Photo Album would rank as my third favorite. The new Belle and Sebastian is pretty awesome though, so you can't go wrong with that. My suggestion, buy her Something About Airplanes and The Life Pursuit. I guarantee she'll say yes to just about anything you ask, if you catch my drift.

Welcome to the board - glad I could help with popping your posting cherry

....thanks for the input - anyone else support this new-bies claim that "Something About Airplanes" is the way to go ;)
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i like the "photo album" cd...one of my favs :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • I dunno, I think The Photo Album is great. I haven't listened to Something About Airplanes enough to get a real good feel for it, but The Photo Album is the record that came out right before Transatlanticism, so it's a good lead-in, I think. You can't go wrong with any Death Cab, really.
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Todd76 wrote:
    Welcome to the board - glad I could help with popping your posting cherry

....thanks for the input - anyone else support this new-bies claim that "Something About Airplanes" is the way to go ;)

to me, transatlanticism and plans are the creme de la creme of death cab...but i do also own airplanes and while i do not love it to the same degree, i would recommend it, especially if your wife is a big fan. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• fantastic band.

nice to see other dcfc fans on a pearl jam forum.

as most people, transatlanticism is definitely my favorite. it's such a flawless, perfect and beautiful album.

if i should rate the albums:

transatlanticism
    we have the facts and we're voting yes
    plans
    something about airplanes
    the photo album

the forbidden love EP is also amazing.

i would buy her 'the photo album' though. it's definitely a fan pleaser and it is most similar to trans and plans than any of the other albums.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have We have the facts and we're voting album (i do not have any others besides the ones you have trans and plans) and i dig it.

I have not heard the new B&S album but i heard good things about it. I can only assume you are a fan of B&S and already own if you're feeling sinister.... if for some reason you don't fuck another DCFC or the new B&S and get if you're feeling sinister.... but you probably have that one.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I have We have the facts and we're voting album (i do not have any others besides the ones you have trans and plans) and i dig it.

I have not heard the new B&S album but i heard good things about it. I can only assume you are a fan of B&S and already own if you're feeling sinister.... if for some reason you don't fuck another DCFC or the new B&S and get if you're feeling sinister.... but you probably have that one.

We have all the B&S albums - with the exception of the newest one. If You're Feeling Sinister is great, although I prefer Tigermilk and Boy With the Arab Strap (Fold Your Hands... and Dear Catastrophe Waitress are amazing albums too).....great band :)
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Transatlanticism is one of my all-timers...good memories of driving all over the States for the VFC tour with that on the stereo...

If it's an 'either or' I would go with The Life Pursuit. If you can pick up a second choice too, I'd suggest The Photo Album.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i would buy her 'the photo album' though. it's definitely a fan pleaser and it is most similar to trans and plans than any of the other albums.

that's what i was thinking. i love 'something about airplanes.' it's actually my fav death cab album. but i think photo album would be a bit better match for someone who's really into the last two albums and belle and sebastian. their first album can be tough to swallow, it's got a very distorted indie vibe to it. i love it. but it's a long ways from the clear pop sound of the last two albums...
  • Photo Album...thats the one to get!
    "Close but no sitar." ~ EV
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    I would go with "We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes" before "Something About Airplanes".

I'm seeing them four times in the next month (twice at Bridge School and both DC shows from the first 10 rows) - I'm pretty excited :D
    so I appreciate all the input....

Something About Airplanes- 2 votes
    Photo Album - 6 votes
    We Have The Facts.... - 2 votes

so it looks like Photo Album is the winner.....although I think from the descriptions I would prefer Something About Airplanes - hmmmmm ;)
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Todd76 wrote:
    so I appreciate all the input....

Something About Airplanes- 2 votes
    Photo Album - 6 votes
    We Have The Facts.... - 2 votes

so it looks like Photo Album is the winner.....although I think from the descriptions I would prefer Something About Airplanes - hmmmmm ;)

it sounds almost like a built to spill album. it's excellent. get both ;)
  • OttOtt Posts: 403
    If you haven't heard them, you may want to listen to The Postal Service. It is a collaboration of Ben Gibbard's with Jimmy Tamborello. I love it. The same "woe is me" vibe from Gibbard lyrically, with interesting electronic beats. Peep the bio on yahoo:

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-298603-bio--The-Postal-Service

Ott
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    alrighty, as a huge, huge transatlanticism and plans fan....and now i own/have heard numerous times, airplanes, the photo booth and we have the facts....i personally would recommend we have the facts. of the 3, i think it FAR superior. in fact, i love it. :) the other 2, good, but not quite on par. so yea, if your wife loves the first two as i do, i LOVE we have the facts, thus why i recommend it.

fyi - i am completely in love with the song for what reason off of the album we have the facts and we're voting yes....sweet jeebus, so good!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow