Canadian music scene rules, eh!!!!!!

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    As always, I would like to chime in with Holly McNarland... ;)

Also, Pilate (a.k.a. Pilot Speed) is very enjoyable...

And my sister's current fave, The Weakerthans.... "Plea From A Cat Named Virtute" is a very cute, yet poignant song... :)

i have "reconstruction site" pretty much on constant repeat right now. i love that record.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Todd76 wrote:
    Sloan write fun pop songs - Twice Removed is one of the best albums of all time - they may sound commercial/classic rock/wanky BUT they have fun doing it and don't take it too seriously....there is nothing wrong with a good pop tune. Check out my original band list and you should see that the Hip, MGB and Big Wreck just arent bands that would be of ANY interest to me...they are boring

I'm gonna get all grade 2 on you here... are not!

Edit: Sloan does rule!
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    how did i forget holly, CEG!?!?! :)

i don't know, buddy! that's why i'm here to remind you... :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • showing some love for the hip! over here...:)
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Since we are tossing around Canadian bands - I have friends in a couple Canadian bands.....their music doesnt really do anything for me BUT they are a couple good rock bands from the Great White North.....Finger Eleven and Idle Sons. I think some people on this board would enjoy 'em.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    showing some love for the hip! over here...:)

Dont get me wrong....I can totally appreciate and understand why people LOVE the Hip here, Gord is an AMAZING and captivating frontman and is one of the great personalities in music ....and they do have some great songs - "Its a Good Life If You Dont Weaken" is one of the best songs i have heard in quite some time......i just done feel any sort of emotional connection to there music anymore - they just dont do it for me now. I have seen them in concert MANY times - but i'm in a different place musically now.
  • Todd76 wrote:
    Dont get me wrong....I can totally appreciate and understand why people LOVE the Hip here, Gord is an AMAZING and captivating frontman and is one of the great personalities in music ....and they do have some great songs - "Its a Good Life If You Dont Weaken" is one of the best songs i have heard in quite some time......i just done feel any sort of emotional connection to there music anymore - they just dont do it for me now. I have seen them in concert MANY times - but i'm in a different place musically now.

i can understand...your list seems to have more of an indie feel to it. we're not all going to agree on all bands. :) no worries, eh? ;)
    i can understand...your list seems to have more of an indie feel to it. we're not all going to agree on all bands. :) no worries, eh? ;)

Us Canadians are just so damn friendly, eh
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    edit: never mind, I should read posts I'm replying to
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    I still can't understand why you don't like Matt Good. Pretend he wasn't ever played on the radio and go from there. Gorgeous stuff.
    Todd76 wrote:
    Since we are tossing around Canadian bands - I have friends in a couple Canadian bands.....their music doesnt really do anything for me BUT they are a couple good rock bands from the Great White North.....Finger Eleven and Idle Sons. I think some people on this board would enjoy 'em.

Saw Idle Sons not too long ago, they were great
    Which came first,
    MCG wrote:
    Saw Idle Sons not too long ago, they were great

I'll pass along the words of praise
    Todd76 wrote:
    I'll pass along the words of praise

Friends of yours? Or a humourous sarcastic comment? :)
    Which came first,
    MCG wrote:
    Friends of yours? Or a humourous sarcastic comment? :)

friends
    Todd76 wrote:
    friends

Very cool. Send them my highest regards, one of the best shows I've seen this year, and wish them the best of luck for me please.
    Which came first,
  • tonestones Posts: 104
    I have been listening to Beautiful Midnight a lot lately and a few songs on that disc still give me chills. Anyone who bashes Matt Good must be out of their mind.
    "Your light's reflected now,... reflected from afar...
    We were but stones,... your light made us stars"
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    Echoes wrote:
    I still can't understand why you don't like Matt Good. Pretend he wasn't ever played on the radio and go from there. Gorgeous stuff.

I agree. If Matthew Good was never played on the radio, I'd like him WAAAAY more. I still love the Matt Good Band material, but I'm not a fan on his solo stuff.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
    tones wrote:
    I have been listening to Beautiful Midnight a lot lately and a few songs on that disc still give me chills. Anyone who bashes Matt Good must be out of their mind.

"Born to Kill"? That one always gives me goosebumps.
    ediger wrote:
    I agree. If Matthew Good was never played on the radio, I'd like him WAAAAY more. I still love the Matt Good Band material, but I'm not a fan on his solo stuff.

It takes a while to grow on you. You've gotta have respect for "Avalanche" regardless, that song is amazing.
    Which came first,
    MCG wrote:
    "Born to Kill"? That one always gives me goosebumps.

It takes a while to grow on you. You've gotta have respect for "Avalanche" regardless, that song is amazing.

I think its much better than a lot of music being put out today, but it's still not something I find myself wanting to listen to. With most bands I really like, I'll often get an uncontrollable craving to hear a certain song. Not so much with solo Matt Good.
    ediger wrote:
    I think its much better than a lot of music being put out today, but it's still not something I find myself wanting to listen to. With most bands I really like, I'll often get an uncontrollable craving to hear a certain song. Not so much with solo Matt Good.

I know exactly what you mean, I like MGB a lot more than the solo stuff as well. But there are still some jems in the solo stuff, you just have to dig a little.

I listened to the Raygun EP and Loser Anthems (B-Sides) like 5 times today. I nominate Raygun for the best EP ever award. I'm on to Audio of Being now, a wicked record in its own right.
    Which came first,
  • Code13Code13 Posts: 17
    SAM ROBERTS

'nuff said.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Code13 wrote:
    SAM ROBERTS

'nuff said.

Agreed! Gotta love Sammy. Not sure if these have been mentioned yet, but here are some more great Canadian artists:

Joel Plaskett Emergency
    Chris Brown & Kate Fenner
    Cuff the Duke
    Ron Hawkins/Lowest of the Low
    Cowboy Junkies
    C'Mon
    Matt Mays & El Torpedo
    Jim Bryson
    K-OS
    Kathleen Edwards
    Daniel Lanois
    Greg Macpherson Band
    Hugh Dillon Redemption Choir
    Blue Rodeo
    Danny Michel
    The Violet Archers (featuring former Rheostatic Tim Vesely)
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    MCG wrote:
    I know exactly what you mean, I like MGB a lot more than the solo stuff as well. But there are still some jems in the solo stuff, you just have to dig a little.

I listened to the Raygun EP and Loser Anthems (B-Sides) like 5 times today. I nominate Raygun for the best EP ever award. I'm on to Audio of Being now, a wicked record in its own right.

Avalanche is as good as or better anything he has ever done. Please ignore the fact that I ranked it lower on my top albums list. It is really brilliant
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    You crazy canucks should be proud to have a band like Rush as countrymen. Rush has been playing for thirty years...and can still play better than most bands. Their last studio album was one of the best of their career and they can still bring it live. Rush is one of the greatest bands of all time.
  • SandruwaSandruwa Posts: 239
    Canadians rock!! 2 weeks ago I saw the Hip playing at some festival ... I don't know em too well ... but they were awesome!!
    RIP Syd ... Shine on you crazy diamond ...
    Sandruwa wrote:
    Canadians rock!! 2 weeks ago I saw the Hip playing at some festival ... I don't know em too well ... but they were awesome!!

Thats what I like to hear. Go buy Day For Night immediately. IMO, best Canadian album of the 90's
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    How about "The Tea Party". Can't believe no one has mentioned them yet, they are awesome! Although I heard they just broke up a few months ago, anyone knows anything about that?
    Either way, I love all their albums, specially Transmission. Great stuff!
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011

• and a couple of really good "jam" bands...check them out live if they are in your town...

the jimmy swift band (JSB):

http://www.myspace.com/tjsb

Anybody else here into the Jimmy Swift Band? I saw them in Toronto last night at the Horseshoe and they were great. I've seen them about 5 times now and I've loved them everytime. If you get a chance to see them on this tour, definitely do it. They played 80's runway model at the end of the show with a Metallica tag and it was fantastic!

I'm not the hugest fan of their newer stuff, just because when I go to see them, I fully expect a night of dancing to a wicked jam band. Their new stuff isn't really along those lines. In and of themselves though, they're good songs.
  • taratara Posts: 293
    pjny wrote:
    Glad to see Hayden on your list! I'd also add David Usher (formerly of Moist)...even though he's gotten a bit too mushy (and sometimes poppy) for me, he's still a very skilled songwriter.

too funny that hayden's on the list, he's my parasitology profs son, so i've always thought of him as a local artist
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • taratara Posts: 293
    Todd76 wrote:
    No offence but (excluding Neil) that list includes every band that USED to give Canadian music a BAD name. Throw in Nickelback, Sum 41, and Theory of a Deadman and you will have, in my opinion, a list of the worst Canada has to offer.
    don't forget to add avril to that list, and shania (well maybe she's good for country, but i wouldn't know), oh and how can we forget celine dion
    Inkdaub wrote:
    You crazy canucks should be proud to have a band like Rush as countrymen. Rush has been playing for thirty years...and can still play better than most bands. Their last studio album was one of the best of their career and they can still bring it live. Rush is one of the greatest bands of all time.

i hate rush, i hate that they're associated with canada
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein