Time Magazine Top 100 Albums Of All Time

Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Time Magazine just released their Top 100 album list....PJ didnt make the cut, no surprise to me (and i'm sure this will go over really well on this board)

(http://www.time.com/time/2006/100albums/index.html)

Here are some of the highlights (as far as i'm concerned).....the albums weren't assigned any specific rank

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Radiohead - Kid A & OK Computer
PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
Hole - Live Through This
Oasis - (Whats The Story) Morning Glory
U2 - Achtung Baby & Joshua Tree
Nirvana - Nevermind
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
REM - Out Of Time & Document
Stone Roses - s/t
Neil Young - After The Goldrush
the Beatles - Sgt Pepper & Rubber Soul & White Album & Revolver & Abbey Road
the Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Patti Smith - Horses
the Clash - London Calling
Sex Pistols - Nevermind The Bollocks
Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique

some interesting choices.....some glaring omissions (the Cure, Arcade Fire, Wilco, Tom Waits, Sebadoh, Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips, Broken Social Scene etc etc etc)
In my world everyone is a pony,
and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Interesting. I'll have to look at it closer later.

Can't believe YHF was not on the list.

Miles Davis got Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue that makes me happy.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Todd76 wrote:
    Time Magazine just released their Top 100 album list....PJ didnt make the cut, no surprise to me (and i'm sure this will go over really well on this board)

Here are some of the highlights (as far as i'm concerned).....the albums weren't assigned any specific rank

Hole - Live Through This

you're joking right? the fact that this was included, as well as a number of greatest hits packages, over ALL of pearl jam's albums convinces me that this list is the biggest crock of shit ive ever seen.

fucking HOLE??
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    you're joking right? the fact that this was included, as well as a number of greatest hits packages, over ALL of pearl jam's albums convinces me that this list is the biggest crock of shit ive ever seen.

fucking HOLE??

I don't know, that album still holds a small soft spot in my heart - for nostalgic reasons
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Dolly Parton, Garth Brooks... WTF?
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Why Out of Time? that is seriously not even in the better half of R.E.M.'s records.

And the fact that they put anthologies and best of type things on there is just lame.

But there are some things on there I would not have expected from Time, such as Pavement.

And I agree on the where is Yankee Hotel Foxtrot comment, that is one of the most talked about albums in the past 10 years or so.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yeah, greatest hits albums have no place on lists like these. It's more like ranking an artist than a particular album.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • weird...its like TIME magazine isn't a credible music source
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    lists are retarded.
    take your money and your drugs.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    How do you put Out of Time and Document over Automatic For the People. AFTP IS one of the greatest records of all time. The others are great, but that's just completey dumb.

And fuck them for their condescencion toward Pink Floyd. To not have Dark Side on their is near-musical sacrilege.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Todd76 wrote:

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
    Radiohead - Kid A & OK Computer
    PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
    Hole - Live Through This
    Oasis - (Whats The Story) Morning Glory
    U2 - Achtung Baby & Joshua Tree
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    REM - Out Of Time & Document
    Stone Roses - s/t
    Neil Young - After The Goldrush
    the Beatles - Sgt Pepper & Rubber Soul & White Album & Revolver & Abbey Road
    the Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
    Joni Mitchell - Blue
    Patti Smith - Horses
    the Clash - London Calling
    Sex Pistols - Nevermind The Bollocks
    Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique

some interesting choices.....some glaring omissions (the Cure, Arcade Fire, Wilco, Tom Waits, Sebadoh, Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips, Broken Social Scene etc etc etc)

What a crappy list!! Hole and Eminem in it??
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I agree that this certainly wouldn't be my Top 100....BUT I will commend them on some of their selections, especially some of the surprises: Pavement, Joni Mitchell, Talking Heads, REM (Document), Stone Roses, Neil and PJ Harvey
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    parel jam wrote:
    What a crappy list!! Hole and Eminem in it?

Yeah but not Ten, Yield or The Downward Spiral?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    it's TIME magazine people. why are we even debating this?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • its better than most of the similar lists that have being done (eg rollingstone) although there are obviously some glaring omissions and some surprising inclusions. i wouldn't have included kid a but i'm not really a fan of that album. ok computer i would have certainly.....
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • you're joking right? the fact that this was included, as well as a number of greatest hits packages, over ALL of pearl jam's albums convinces me that this list is the biggest crock of shit ive ever seen.

fucking HOLE??

totally agree. i like the album, don;t get me wrong, but its a Cobain album, and a grunge rip off. it would be like putting Bush on there. love them, but 100 greatest albums of all time and no pj?

hmmmm.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • no pink floyd means this list gets no respect from me
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • the fact that it didn't include Siamese Dream means it's a bullshit list.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    this list is the biggest crock of shit ive ever seen.
    yep
  • for the records in the 2000s, 4 of the 9 are greatest hits/best of compilations. Sorry but how the fuck can you rate greatest hits as top albums?
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    grace6697 wrote:
    lists are retarded.

(2)
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Hole? Fucking hell. And they didn't really give a reason why there's no Pink Floyd. Two Radiohead albums?

Oh well, there's only one list I'd ever take advice from... one that I wrote. I know you can't please everyone.

But FUCKING Hole??? :eek:
  • the simple fact that dark side of the moon isnt on there means this list is awful
    "Pussies no more"
    "Johnny we miss, Pete your still the greatest"