The Decemberists - Thanks "Other Music" People

Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
edited December 2006 in Other Music
A few weeks or months ago (its all a blur) I started a thread asking the wise people on this board to recommend some new music I should check out.

I have been able to look into a few of the suggestions and they have all been great. Picked up the GBV Greatest Hits album ("Human Amusements At Hourly Rates") which is incredible, finally got Tom Waits "Rain Dogs" and I LOVE it (I already owned a bunch of his stuff) and I have looked into a few other bands mentioned .... Rilo Kiley, Wintersleep, Islands and Postal Service .... and they are all now on my "Must Buy" list

BUT -- the best thing that came out of that thread was my discovery of THE DECEMBERISTS and specifically the "Crane Wife" album (although "Picaresque" is pretty damn good to). I absolutely LOVE this album - I cant stop listening to it. The band has such an original sound - to me they kinda sound like an amazing mix of Belle & Sebastian, the Arcade Fire, Mercury Rev (vocally) with a little bit of a celtic/east coast/sea shanty vibe thrown in to create this incredible new sound.

So i'd like to thank everyone who recommended this band - and I thought I would try to return the favour for anyone who has yet to check them out....go buy The Crane Wife NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my world everyone is a pony,
and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Between this board adn the red mosquito board i've found a ton of great music. Hell it's the main reason i come here :)

Glad you had some good luck too!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Thanks Todd. I know you have good taste so I will have to check 'em out.
    Cock Fight.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Tek Money wrote:
    Thanks Todd. I know you have good taste so I will have to check 'em out.

You wont regret it - it's a creeper though, one of those albums that takes a few listens to really get into it. But once you do - wow, its good stuff
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    ahahaha i just saw Stephen Colbert raggin on these guys the other day for stealing his green screen fan-made video idea.
    buy The Crane Wife......bump......buy the Crane Wife
  • The Crane wife is nice, but I still love her majesty best.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • I just really discovered them this summer and they've fast become my favoroute newish band. I am absolutely addicted to everything they've done.

My current fav: My mother was a Chinese Trapeze Artist!
    "Science has proof without certainty... Religion has certainty without proof"
    -Ashley Montagu
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i really like the decemberists too. it really does pay off to expand your horizons..
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Bump

I picked up this album (the crane wife) as per your recommendation Todd and it is fantastic. I have had it on loop for a couple days now. Thanks :)
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    Bump

I picked up this album (the crane wife) as per your recommendation Todd and it is fantastic. I have had it on loop for a couple days now. Thanks :)

Well if I can reach one person on here my job is done :)

Glad you like it - I knew from your Top 6 band list it would be right up your alley.

I still can't stop listening to it. Pretty amazing stuff. The whole album is great from start to finish, but track #9 (Crane Wife Part 1 & 2) is my favourite, especially the first 5 minutes - note my signature.....gives me chills everytime.