Best Breakdown In A Song

lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
edited January 2008 in Other Music
What's your favorite most badass breakdown in the middle of a song?

I will start will Tool's 'The Grudge'

and sinking...deeper...

*explosion*
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I may have to agree with you unless something else comes to mind.

Would "mr. mojo rising....." from LA Woman be considered a break down?
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • I like Audioslave's Set It Off... It builds... "And it all adds up inside your head..." then falls... "Time is wasting..." Then explodes into the chorus.

And I'm not sure if they count, but the two bridge sections in Evacuation make that song.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I may have to agree with you unless something else comes to mind.

Would "mr. mojo rising....." from LA Woman be considered a break down?
    good one
  • Zeppelin "Dazed and Confused"

"Whole Lotta Love" also

They were pretty good at this.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Sick Sad Little World - Incubus :cool:
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • The lower piano chords before the drums kick in on Sigur Ros' 'Saeglopur'.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I'll agree with Sigur Ros, but have to go with the buildup in Popagladio(sp?) otherwise known as Track #8 from ( ).

Jonsi' wailing in his high pitched voice and building guitars ending in a complete drum explosion. Perfected chaos to end a beautiful melodic album.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus by The Mars Volta

The chill guitar lead up into the "I COUNT THE DAYS TO FIND..." part. Give me chills every fucking time.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The Grudge is a good one. The breakdown after the silent moment in Kerosene by Big Black.

One of my friends' band played one of their originals which, on record, has 5 beatdowns as they refer to it. Their record while playing it live is 16 of these beatdowns. They extended a 4 minute noisepunk song to about 12 minutes. Brutal.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i like alive
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'd say No Attention by SG for me. The part where he screams "no attention!" and it breaks down into the slower tempo is orgasmic.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    I'd say No Attention by SG for me. The part where he screams "no attention!" and it breaks down into the slower tempo is orgasmic.

Absolutely.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    Just about every Hatebreed song... Well, at least their older stuff....

"The Wrath of Sanity" by Earth Crisis.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    It's short but I've always enjoyed the guitar break in "this is a call" by Foo Fighters.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    xkevvx wrote:
    Just about every Hatebreed song... Well, at least their older stuff....

"The Wrath of Sanity" by Earth Crisis.
    YES. "Driven By Suffering" comes to mind. or "Mark My Words".
  • 'Cross the Breeze by Sonic Youth.
    Jimmy Carter has disco fever.
  • cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    Panama - Van Halen
  • evenflow wrote:
    I'll agree with Sigur Ros, but have to go with the buildup in Popagladio(sp?) otherwise known as Track #8 from ( ).

Jonsi' wailing in his high pitched voice and building guitars ending in a complete drum explosion. Perfected chaos to end a beautiful melodic album.

Yeah that's a nice one too :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • PJ - RVM & DTE
    Smashing Pumpkins - Geek USA
    NERDS!
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    i know there's a ton i can't think of right now, probably a bunch of rage against the machine songs, but one i always loved was when they come out of the jam from pj's version of porch from atlanta'94
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    spat wrote:
    i know there's a ton i can't think of right now, probably a bunch of rage against the machine songs

The one in freedom used to make me go crazy. Teenage years, good times.
    I definitely like the one in no one knows (qotsa) after the solo
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Geek USA
    I ALMOST posted this, but I knew someone else would :P
  • DOSW wrote:

agreed...
    "No need to be void,...or save up on life...You got to spend it all....."
  • Another:

Nine Inch Nails - No, You Don't
  • DOSW wrote:

Dude...that is a classic song right there and amazing breakdown.

I also love the "Where the fuck were you" part of Somewhat Damaged by NIN.

I also saw Geek USA...so true...
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • 7 Words by the Deftones has two of them. One in the middle that starts "squeal like a pig..." and then at the end of the song theres a guitar breakdown.

So kickass.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Refused - New Noise
  • Refused - New Noise
    Quote for truth.
    Jimmy Carter has disco fever.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I'm literally listening to this right now. "Only in Dreams" by Weezer. Great breakdown/buildup. Actually its an amazing one.
  • Saturnal wrote:
    What's your favorite most badass breakdown in the middle of a song?

I will start will Tool's 'The Grudge'

and sinking...deeper...

*explosion*

my first thought was the end of Tools Anema , where you think its gonna go really heavy but then it goes all entrancing and you feel like waves are washing over you, also 3rd eye every time it switches to "so glad to see you, ive missed you so much"
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}