Isis

lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
edited August 2006 in Other Music
This is a great experimental band that I assume is still rather unknown, so I thought they deserved to be mentioned. They are opening for Tool for this upcoming part of their tour, so anyone who's going should check them out. They are a great performing band. Mostly instrumental with some fading vocals. Very good stuff I think. They have a new album coming out called In The Absence Of Truth. Here is their myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/sgnl05
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Isis are great. Although its quite heavy its pretty dreamy sounding too. Nice long, slowburning complex tunes.
    www.myspace.com/dhmarks - Me

www.myspace.com/jackietreehornmusic - The Band
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am an Isis fan. they have some great riffs. Them opening for tool would be pretty damn cool. wish tool was coming to where i live :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    Isis are very good. I saw them for the second time last night with Tool. It's too bad they only played for 30 minutes because I was just getting into it.

The best thing I can suggest to those who haven't heard their music yet (initially, I disliked his vocals)....don't try and decipher his vocals, it's used more as an instrument of pitch.

Pantopticon and Oceanic are their two big albums.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I like the songs they have up on their website.

Thanks! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I own Panopticon, but it's just not my cup of tea. I don't dislike it, but the "slow-burning" (as someone mentioned) songs and the growling vocals are put-offs for me. Musically, they're great... but it's just not something that I listen to very much.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Isis is amazing. i have all their records (well, i don't have Live 1) and i just can't say enough good things about them. can't wait for the new one.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Great band...looking forward to their new album.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Isis opening for Tool is pretty risky for Tool, because Isis is sick!

One of the most intense shows I've ever been to was an Isis show. These guys don't let up...relentless waves of sound. you will need a nap after their set because you will be drained...in a good way. :)
  • Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    Panopticon is a damn good album, really hope Isis swing through FL sometime soon.
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • i LOVED their set opening for tool here, too bad they only played for 30min, but those 30min were enough to convince me to pick up all their albums :)
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If you like them, be sure to check out Pelican and Mare too.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    enharmonic wrote:
    and 5ive!!! beware though, there's some lameass boyband called 5ive too. this 5ive is on Hydrahead/Tortuga (Aaron from Isis' label).
    also listen to Milligram.
  • enharmonic wrote:

Yeah I was thinking Pelican could use a thread as well. I haven't heard Mare yet, so I'll have to check them out. Thanks!
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Mare is really cool, but It'll take me some time to get into them, I think
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I think Isis are pretty well known around these parts, especially since Jeff Ament name dropped them along with Mastodon in the last Tenclub newsletter.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • alobar wrote:
    I think Isis are pretty well known around these parts, especially since Jeff Ament name dropped them along with Mastodon in the last Tenclub newsletter.

Ah, very cool. Mastodon is a bit too heavy for me, but I've heard great things about them.