Advice for a Coachella n00b?

lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
edited February 2007 in Other Music
So I got my 3-day pass, and I'm psyched. I just wanted to see if there were any Coachella vets out there who could gimme some pointers. And I don't mean the typical advice like "drink lots of water" and "wear sunscreen". I really want advice that's geared towards getting the most out of the positive aspects of the festival, not simply surviving the negative ones. I just want to get the most out of the experience, because I'm not going just because RATM is playing. I'm going with a couple friends who've been there most years, but any outside advice would be appreciated.

Also, anyone got any good Coachella memories to share? I love hearing about those.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Saturnal wrote:
    So I got my 3-day pass, and I'm psyched. I just wanted to see if there were any Coachella vets out there who could gimme some pointers. And I don't mean the typical advice like "drink lots of water" and "wear sunscreen". I really want advice that's geared towards getting the most out of the positive aspects of the festival, not simply surviving the negative ones. I just want to get the most out of the experience, because I'm not going just because RATM is playing. I'm going with a couple friends who've been there most years, but any outside advice would be appreciated.

Also, anyone got any good Coachella memories to share? I love hearing about those.

I have been to everyone since 2001.

Seeing 6,000 people, all dancing in a tent to "Born Slippy" performed by Underworld was amazing.....one of my best moments!

Some advice:

Be open minded....going there and shunning bands just because you are unfamiliar with them may cause you to miss discovering some great bands.....Goldenvoice, the promoter, puts a lot of thought into who they book for the festival...there is never any "filler".

Accept the fact that you and your friends may not all agree on what bands to watch....splitting up so that you can see other bands is very normal....just set a good meeting place/time, since cell phone service can be a bit dodgy.

Resign yourself to the fact that there may be conflicts with set times....I used to try to run from stage to stage in order to catch every band in which I was interested in seeing, but now, I try to see the entire sets of the bands I really want to see.

Finally, no matter how much you don't like techno/dance music (if thats indeed the case), make sure you check out the dance tents...they are their own little microcosms.....the booming bass and heavy beats are really overpowering at the high decibel levels they reach, and the unity vibe is always very cool (as opposed to how some big knuckleheads with backwards baseball caps try to push their way forward for the RHCPS!).

Here are some bands I recommend:

Fri
    Jesus & Mary Chain
    DJ Shadow
    Gogol Bordello
    Stephen Marley w/ Jr. Gong Marley (Damien)

Sat
    Travis
    Arcade Fire
    Tiesto
    The Frames
    The Fratellis

Sun
    Manu Chao
    Placebo
    Happy Mondays
    Lilly Allen
    The Kooks
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    go to hawaii.
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I have been to everyone since 2001.

Seeing 6,000 people, all dancing in a tent to "Born Slippy" performed by Underworld was amazing.....one of my best moments!

Some advice:

Be open minded....going there and shunning bands just because you are unfamiliar with them may cause you to miss discovering some great bands.....Goldenvoice, the promoter, puts a lot of thought into who they book for the festival...there is never any "filler".

Accept the fact that you and your friends may not all agree on what bands to watch....splitting up so that you can see other bands is very normal....just set a good meeting place/time, since cell phone service can be a bit dodgy.

Resign yourself to the fact that there may be conflicts with set times....I used to try to run from stage to stage in order to catch every band in which I was interested in seeing, but now, I try to see the entire sets of the bands I really want to see.

Finally, no matter how much you don't like techno/dance music (if thats indeed the case), make sure you check out the dance tents...they are their own little microcosms.....the booming bass and heavy beats are really overpowering at the high decibel levels they reach, and the unity vibe is always very cool (as opposed to how some big knuckleheads with backwards baseball caps try to push their way forward for the RHCPS!).

Here are some bands I recommend:

Fri
    Jesus & Mary Chain
    DJ Shadow
    Gogol Bordello
    Stephen Marley w/ Jr. Gong Marley (Damien)

Sat
    Travis
    Arcade Fire
    Tiesto
    The Frames
    The Fratellis

Sun
    Manu Chao
    Placebo
    Happy Mondays
    Lilly Allen
    The Kooks
    Excellent, thanks a bunch. I actually love techno, so I'm sure I'll spend lots of minutes in those tents. I'm glad DJ Shadow will be there.

Yeah, I'm hoping not to run into many RHCP nuts...I might not even see their set...still deciding on that one. But definitely gonna stay for Bjork and Rage.
    Saturnal wrote:
    Excellent, thanks a bunch. I actually love techno, so I'm sure I'll spend lots of minutes in those tents. I'm glad DJ Shadow will be there.

Yeah, I'm hoping not to run into many RHCP nuts...I might not even see their set...still deciding on that one. But definitely gonna stay for Bjork and Rage.

I used to work with DJ Shadow....his shows always do wonders for the senses!...lets hope he has his video screens!

I love snubbing the headliners!
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    SUN
    EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY
    I am more psyched about seeing this band than Rage. I love their albums.
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • I went to Coachella '05 and '06 and I'm making a return this year. Each time I've gone I've only been to one day, though, and it wipes me out! I couldn't imagine going all three days but if this is the last year I think it would be worth it...I'm considering doing the camping thing this year. All in all, awesome experience...it's opened me up to bands I probably would have never have discovered otherwise. Have fun!!
  • clayton12clayton12 Posts: 335
    Im hoping to fly in from atlanta and i was wondering how people flying in get to indio? is there a shuttle? or would i have to shell out a shit load for a long ass taxi ride?
    clayton12 wrote:
    Im hoping to fly in from atlanta and i was wondering how people flying in get to indio? is there a shuttle? or would i have to shell out a shit load for a long ass taxi ride?

i think there is an amtrak from los angeles to indio

its a 2 hour drive, so a taxi would cost 100s
  • clayton12 wrote:
    I'm flying into Ontario, CA then just renting a car probably. It looks like it's an hour drive to Indio from there.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Saturnal wrote:
    I'm flying into Ontario, CA then just renting a car probably. It looks like it's an hour drive to Indio from there.

Ontario is definately your best bet. I'll be coming up for Friday only, haven't been before. Bjork has been on my must see list for a while, and she doesn't tour too often. Add in Gillian Welch, Sonic Youth, Jesus and Mary Chain, and Arctic Monkeys it should be a great day.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I attended there in 2004, GREAT line-up at that time, the pixies, The Cure, Radiohead, Kraftwerk, Sparta, Ash, Air, Crystal Method and plenty of GREAT bands. :) I had a BLAST w/my friends and also I hooked up w/my current boyfriend there. *sighs* sometimes I wish I can go back to that time. :o

But anywoo, I know you'll have a BLAST at Coachella. Make sure you check out the art work that is put on display all throughout the area. The year I went, there was a huge chandlier in the middle of the field. Whenever our group got seperated, we always met up in front of there. :D

Make sure you do hit the dance tent. It is so much fun! So many djs are spinning great music and it a great way to get away from the sun dancing under the shade. :cool:

oh man, I wish I can go this year, such a great line-up.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn