RYAD ADAMS, love him or hate him???

Goodfella1111Goodfella1111 Posts: 166
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I think he is smazing. The man puts out record after record after record, and they are always filled with Meat and no filler.

In my mind, he is the most underappreciated singer songwriter of our generation... Big Words, but I think very true.

His live shows are amazing, his band, The Cardinals, are spot on... there's not a bad thing to say really.

Was anyone at the recent Royce Hall/UCLA shows? Spectacular!!!

Love him or hate him?
10/22/00 LV, 10/24/00 LA, 10/20/01 SF, 10/21/01 AF, 12/8/02 SEA, 12/9/02 SEA, 6/3/03 Irvine, 7/9/03 MSG, 9/1/05 Gorge, 6/3/06 NJ, 7/9/06 LA, 7/10/06 LA, 7/12/06 The Fonda, 7/13/06 SB, 7/22/06 Gorge, 7/23/06 Gorge, 10/21/06 SF, 10/22/06 SF, 12/2/06 HAW, 12/9/06 HAW, 4/10/08 SB, 4/12/08 LA, 4/15/08 SD
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Just saw him in Salem, absolutely amazing!
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    love him. his voice could break the heart of the tin man
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    LOVE HIM!!! the man can do no wrong in my book.

Y
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I love what he is doing now with the country stuff but I really cannot wait til he gets back to balls out rock like on Rock N Roll... if it ever happens, it will be amazing to see those songs incorporated again into the live set...

I also heard he is going to be doing a Heavy Metal album pretty soon, with full band and everything...
    10/22/00 LV, 10/24/00 LA, 10/20/01 SF, 10/21/01 AF, 12/8/02 SEA, 12/9/02 SEA, 6/3/03 Irvine, 7/9/03 MSG, 9/1/05 Gorge, 6/3/06 NJ, 7/9/06 LA, 7/10/06 LA, 7/12/06 The Fonda, 7/13/06 SB, 7/22/06 Gorge, 7/23/06 Gorge, 10/21/06 SF, 10/22/06 SF, 12/2/06 HAW, 12/9/06 HAW, 4/10/08 SB, 4/12/08 LA, 4/15/08 SD
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    saw him live, he fucking DESTROYED.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Desperately want to see him play. He came by a few months ago and I couldn't make it. Does anyone recommend his Whiskeytown stuff? I haven't really heard that yet.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I only own Heartbreaker and Demolition but those albums are damn near perfect. There's some ridiculously amazing songs on each one. There was a time when those would be all I'd listen to. Sad time, but great great music.

I really need some more stuff from him, but I'm kinda strapped for cash and I feel kinda guilty downloading things now.

Unless of course, someone offered me a download link of their copy as a gift... :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I've only heard rock n roll and wasn't impressed, but i've been told I should give him another chance. I hear the show in seattle last weekend was amazing. i should've gone to that.
    Common sense is not so common.
  • Rock and Roll is my least favorite of his records.

A download link to the aforementioned Seattle show:

http://www.archive.org/details/radams2008-01-26.akgc1000s.flac16

You can also stream it up at the top.
    DOSW wrote:
    I only own Heartbreaker and Demolition but those albums are damn near perfect. There's some ridiculously amazing songs on each one. There was a time when those would be all I'd listen to. Sad time, but great great music.

I really need some more stuff from him, but I'm kinda strapped for cash and I feel kinda guilty downloading things now.

Unless of course, someone offered me a download link of their copy as a gift... :D

oh my you think demolition is damn near perfect? personally i think tis his weakest album. boy do have have a treat in store for you with his other albums. don't be fussy, just get them all. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Rock and Roll is my least favorite of his records.

A download link to the aforementioned Seattle show:

http://www.archive.org/details/radams2008-01-26.akgc1000s.flac16

You can also stream it up at the top.

hey thanks a lot!
    Common sense is not so common.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Okay, dont get what the fuss is about
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Wow. Why even make the effort of replying?
    Okay, dont get what the fuss is about
  • No prob! Its amazing how many of his shows are up on there.
    poorgirl23 wrote:
    hey thanks a lot!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Wow. Why even make the effort of replying?

The original posted asked what we thought, I said what I thought
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I saw him and his band september last year ad ti was one of if not the bets shows I have ever seen. Peaceful Valley was devastating and h did things with the guitar I didn't think he could do. Absolutely amazing evening. I love ryan adams.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    I think he is smazing. The man puts out record after record after record, and they are always filled with Meat and no filler.

In my mind, he is the most underappreciated singer songwriter of our generation... Big Words, but I think very true.

His live shows are amazing, his band, The Cardinals, are spot on... there's not a bad thing to say really.

Was anyone at the recent Royce Hall/UCLA shows? Spectacular!!!

Love him or hate him?

smazing.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    At the moment I'll say I like him a great deal, and that's just because I'm not a big fan of the last couple releases.

Stranger's Almanac and Cold Roses on the other hand count are a couple of my favorite albums. If nothing else Ryan opened me up to the idea that country music isn't a bad thing - and that's been hugely important to the growth of my musical interests over the last few years.
    oh my you think demolition is damn near perfect? personally i think tis his weakest album. boy do have have a treat in store for you with his other albums. don't be fussy, just get them all. :D

Yes ma'am, the first four songs on Demolition are pure quality. Tomorrow is amazing as well. It does have a few duds though, to be honest.
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    I was just listening to Gold today, amazing song writer.
  • LOVE this guy, own all his records and just went to see him in Santa Barbara and at UCLA.....great stuff!!!
    He's got a mouth full of cookies!
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    gabers wrote:
    Desperately want to see him play. He came by a few months ago and I couldn't make it. Does anyone recommend his Whiskeytown stuff? I haven't really heard that yet.
    whiskeytown's pneumonia could be his best work. maybe. he has alot best work.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    DOSW wrote:
    He's got a mouth full of cookies!

i hope you said that with a crap english accent. ;):D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Cold Roses is slowly becoming one of the favorite albums. I am in love with Ryan Adams. His music moves me.
    Cock Fight.
    For those interested in an introduction to Whiskeytown, you can download a copy of Rural Free Delivery at this blog:

http://atruersound.blogspot.com/

You'll just have to do quite a bit of browsing to find it, as I don't remember how far back that particular post was. FYI, I'm not normally into downloading official releases for nothing, but this album is out of print - and it's really good, in my opinion. There's also some other great music available on that site. I recommend Son Volt to anyone who likes Ryan . . .

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Whiskeytown. Not so much Pneumonia, but Rural Free Delivery, Faithless Street and especially Stranger's Almanac are among my favorite RA records. Gotta love Caitlin Cary's vocals and fiddle.
  • soclose wrote:
    For those interested in an introduction to Whiskeytown, you can download a copy of Rural Free Delivery at this blog:

http://atruersound.blogspot.com/

You'll just have to do quite a bit of browsing to find it, as I don't remember how far back that particular post was. FYI, I'm not normally into downloading official releases for nothing, but this album is out of print - and it's really good, in my opinion. There's also some other great music available on that site. I recommend Son Volt to anyone who likes Ryan . . .

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Whiskeytown. Not so much Pneumonia, but Rural Free Delivery, Faithless Street and especially Stranger's Almanac are among my favorite RA records. Gotta love Caitlin Cary's vocals and fiddle.

I have an album called 'Forever Valentine' by Whiskeytown. It is by far my favorite. But, I do also love Faithless Street. Whiskeytown is amazing as well.

Ryan Adams slowly became my favorite artist. I just realized I listen to him more than anything else. I also love that his albums don't always sound the same. The new Follow the Lights EP is just amazing. I loved 'Dear John' on JCN but, the one on the EP has a new sound. I think I like it more.

BTW... that blog is awesome.
    Cock Fight.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    much love. been a fan since Pneumonia was released. then i heard Strangers Almanac, which was mindblowing. this was all before i even heard his solo stuff.

it's pretty safe to say that he's one of the best performers/entertainers around these days. the guy got off the bottle (or so i've heard) and it was like a new beginning for him. the difference in his demeanor between a show in '05 and one in fall '07 was night and day.
    Tek Money wrote:
    I have an album called 'Forever Valentine' by Whiskeytown. It is by far my favorite. But, I do also love Faithless Street. Whiskeytown is amazing as well.

Ryan Adams slowly became my favorite artist. I just realized I listen to him more than anything else. I also love that his albums don't always sound the same. The new Follow the Lights EP is just amazing. I loved 'Dear John' on JCN but, the one on the EP has a new sound. I think I like it more.

BTW... that blog is awesome.

I'm glad you like the blog. It was a great find. I check it for updates all the time.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Forever Valentine.
  • Cold Roses disk 1 or 2 everyone? I listened to disk one on serious repeat for a long time but have recently been going with disk 2. The whole thing is just perfect