Tom Waits-Orphans

NotMikeNotMike Posts: 27
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Is anyone else excited for this one? 56 songs, 30 of them brand new, I simply cannot wait. Tom is clearly the greatest songwriter alive, and I'm pretty sure he can make anyone experience any emption simply by willing it upon them. Personally, I'm expecting the "Bastards" disc to scare me half to death. Anyway, discuss the anticipation for "Orphans", as well as Tom's God-like power.
"I think I'm cool." - Stone Gossard.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I downloaded it a few weeks ago, and like what I heard. If you like Tom Waits, I dont see how you wont like this three disc set. Post your own opinion, NotMike. I am interested in what you think of it.

Tom Waits is a genius, no doubt about that. While I love his lyrics, his voice, in my mind is the best thing, and the key element in why I listen. Not too many singers, would make music like he does. Can you imagine some teenybopper band singing in the gruff, and barked tone that Tom Waits does?

He clearly makes music to effect people, to change emotions, as you suggested. He doesnt seem to me to be a guy who is obsessed with money, fame and all that crap.

I am impressed with Orphans. Hope you enjoy it too
  • the 1st 2 discs are great, the 3rd not so much
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I'm really excited. cannot wait. should be the greatest thing put out in a LONG time. 3 discs of Waits. does it get much better?

the songs I've heard so far have blown me away. "Lost at the Bottom of the World" is heartbreaking, "You can Never Hold Back Spring" is beautiful and tear-jerking, and "Road to Peace" is unbelievable.

saw Tom live last August. I still haven't fully recovered. Just being in the same room with that man is pretty much life-changing.

Tom Waits is a god.

by the way, there's a live video of "You can Never Hold back Spring" here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ICLHIE/ref=pd_kar_gw_1/104-9005291-7015951
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits