Tom Petty playing Superbowl Halftime

RedlegsRedlegs Posts: 160
edited December 2007 in Other Music
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10508194
Rock 'n' rollers Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers will perform during halftime of the Super Bowl on Feb. 3 at the University of Phoenix Stadium.

The NFL made the announcement Sunday.

The group has sold more than 50 million records since releasing its debut album in 1976. Its hits include Free Fallin', Breakdown, Refugee, I Won't Back Down, Don't Come Around Here No More, You Don't Know How It Feels, and Runnin' Down A Dream.

Petty, an 18-time Grammy nominee with one of rock 'n' roll's most distinctive voices, has also done solo work and was a founding member of The Traveling Wilburys, playing alongside George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne.

Recent Super Bowl halftime acts include the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, and Prince. Nearly 140 million TV viewers in the United States watched Prince last year.

I thought Prince was pretty awesome last year, and I think this will be a pretty sweet show too.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fuck yes! i guess i'll be watching the super bowl this year.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • No one could top Prince's performance last year. They did an excellent job picking a follow-up. Petty will be kick-ass.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Two awesome halftimes in a row after years of total garbage
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • walrus wrote:
    an excerpt of a Rolling Stone interview talking about Tom Petty's upcoming Super Bowl halftime show

Thanks for that. Tom's freakin' rad.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    No one could top Prince's performance last year. They did an excellent job picking a follow-up. Petty will be kick-ass.

That's how I feel. Prince had the greatest 15 minute rock show I'll ever see.

Glad to hear that Petty is on-board for this one.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    "Don't worry, I haven't gone corporate."

I wish more bands can say that.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Red Lukin wrote:
    "Don't worry, I haven't gone corporate."

I wish more bands can say that.

i can think of one. 'can't find a bettervan'.......
  • That's cool... I can't wait to see that.

The have actually had some good acts in the past few years.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Looks like there will be no nip slips or exposed boobs yet again. :-P
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Prince sucked last year. Didn't he do a medley including a Foo Fighter's song? I was eating chili at the time.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• Prince freakin' kicked ass last year... I'm not even a big fan of him, but he was outstanding.

I like chili.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Prince sucked last year. Didn't he do a medley including a Foo Fighter's song? I was eating chili at the time.

that chili must have had some mind altering drugs in it, cause this is the only negative report EVER of last year's performance. I'm not the biggest Prince, but that was truely amazing.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown

You didn't like Prince's 1/2time show?? You're not sane...I'm sure of that! But maybe you LOVED Sir Paul's 1/2time event...

I thought Sir Paul's 1/2time show was lamo cause of his song choices...he just doesn't do it for me anymore and that Freedom song is just real bad, imo and then to do a old Beatles tune to gain back some lost respect...it just didn't win me over...glad Tom P liked him though.

Mostly thanks to Walrus for posting that Tom Petty interview re the Superbowl...that was an excellent read and just reaffirmed to me Tom's greatness.

If yall haven't bought Tom Petty's new dvd package called Running Down A Dream...I gotta say right now, that it's KILLER :)

Tom's always keepin it real...he never strayed once, ever.