"In Field & Town" - New Hayden Album!!

Ridin The WaveRidin The Wave Posts: 552
edited January 2008 in Other Music
For all the Hayden fans, his new album is coming out on the 15th, but if you pre-order it on itunes (starting yesterday), you get a bonus song.

And he's going on tour as of the 16th. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I am seeing him the 26th of January in London.

I lost interest in his releases around 1999, but I found Elk-Lade Serenade a couple of months ago once I heard of him touring in London and I think that record is amazing.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • You should check out Skyscraper National Park also. It came out around 2001, I think and it's fantastic. I've seen him pretty much every time he's toured and the most surprising part is always how funny he is between songs, considering how "depressing" his music seems to be.

I'm seeing him opening night in Hamilton on the 16th and then closing night in Toronto on the 19th of February. I can't wait!

Enjoy yourself on the 26th! :)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Wow, haven't heard that name in ages.

When he played L.A. for the first time in the 90s, there was a huge buzz, but it died quite quickly!
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I'll be at the Hamilton show on the 16th and I cant wait!!!!!

I have (and LOVE) all his albums - you cant go wrong with any of them (and I agree smarchee - if you havent checked out Skyscraper National Park, do yourself a favour and buy it ASAP.....Dynamite Walls is a classic)

I have followed Hayden his entire career - I own his In September demo tape.....I saw him play at a local record store to a crowd of about 50 people when Everything I Long For was released......I was at Convocation Hall both nights for the recording of his amazing double live album......and I have seen him live basically everytime he has gone out on tour (from tiny little bars up to the Winter Garden Theatre in Toronto)........he is incredible!!!!!!

I know early in his career he was pegged to be the next big thing (in fact at one point - when Spin magaize actually mattered - they chose him as the artist to watch)......the hype may have died - but he is still definitely worth checking out. IMO one of the best singer/songwriters of our generation.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    yeah, I am contemplating stopping by Dr. Disc in Windsor to see if they have any Hayden to sell.

if not, I'll see what I can pick up at the show on the 26th.

I did see him once before, he opened for The Hip at the ACC on New Year's 1999, but I can't remember too much, except The Hazards of Sitting Beneath......which was a great song live.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Hayden is one of my favourite artists for sure. Can't wait to see what he has in store with this one. Everything he has done has been quality.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Hayden is a fantastic songwriter. I've seem him live a few times over the years and he never disappoints.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Hayden is live on cbc radio right now! 99.1 FM. You can stream it over the radio.
    new album out tomorrow, concert on Wednesday (I cant wait.....apparently he will be performing solo - just him and his guitar....very exciting)

here is an excerpt from todays Toronto Star article re. his new album:

"His affable new record, In Field & Town – out tomorrow on his own Hardwood Records label – represents enough of a subtle evolution in a sound even Hayden felt was maybe getting a bit too typical, that it might be the first since that period of hype to draw large numbers of new admirers.

Songs groove in ways Hayden songs haven't grooved before. Tinny toy pianos, xylophones, New Wave keyboards and trumpets colour some arrangements in uncharacteristically bright fashion. Australian songbird Holly Throsby turns up for a quick duet entitled "Weight of the World," which is officially now the first song of 2008 guaranteed to melt the heart of every girl who hears it.

It's one of the best albums the 36-year-old Hayden has made, if not the best."

HIS BEST ALBUM yet!!!!!! yeah :)

here is a link to the entire article: http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/293680
  • Well, the show last night in Hamilton was awesome....

I'm not going to say too much and the reason for that is this:

I feel like Hayden's shows are like watching a really good movie. Each individual song is a story. And between each song, he tells a little story. To give you all the details here would cheapen the experience for when you go see him yourself.

That said though, there's a lot I can say without needing a "spoiler" heading in my post.

He played a wide range of his songs. There wasn't really much chance to get into his new CD before the show given that it was only released the day before, but I can guarantee that his live performance of the songs will definitely make them stand out more than they already would. They were great.

He, in typical Hayden fashion, made a few mistakes. I think I have yet to see a Hayden show where he doesn't make mistakes, but that adds to his charm in my opinion. :)

He sounds fantastic, he looked fantastic, his stories were fantastic. All around, a great show.

Oh yeah - for any vinyl collectors out there, they were selling Everything I Longed For on vinyl. $20. Made a great night even better.
  • I wish I had made the connection between "Ipod helper Todd" and "Hayden fan Todd" before this morning. I totally could have brought my Ipod and laptop to the show for you to help me in person! Haha. Kidding, obviously.

But really though, it would have been nice to say hello!

Were you lucky enough to get a seat? Not me. I was standing, behind the seats, near the middle aisle, about 3 people back from the last row, standing on my toes, desperately trying to see. You?
    I wish I had made the connection between "Ipod helper Todd" and "Hayden fan Todd" before this morning. I totally could have brought my Ipod and laptop to the show for you to help me in person! Haha. Kidding, obviously.

But really though, it would have been nice to say hello!

Were you lucky enough to get a seat? Not me. I was standing, behind the seats, near the middle aisle, about 3 people back from the last row, standing on my toes, desperately trying to see. You?

I didnt make the connection until now either (although I did notice your location while posting in the iPod thread.....I went to University in Hamilton and lived there for several years after school)

I completely agree with your review of the show......he is soooooo funny and his between song banter kills me every time. REALLY great show!!!!!!! His "updated" version of Bad As They Seem was particularly funny.

I am one of those fans that he mentioned who had been seeing him live in Hamilton for 15 years......I used to see him at all the Sonic Unyon shows way back in the day. I have seen him at least 10-15 times in concert and you're right - I have yet to see a show where he didnt forget some lyrics or have his guitar go out of tune during Bad As They Seem......but it is definitely part of his charm.

I did get a seat.....2nd row - amazing view......although we were sitting really close to the drunk knucklehead who was trying to steal the show (the one who made the request early in the concert and then Hayden engaged him in a conversation - "I'm not gay".....so funny)

I thought the opening act Basia Bulat (not sure on the spelling) was great too......I bought her album last night - what a voice!!!!!!

I picked up his new album on Tuesday and based on the few listens I have been able to give it I definitely think it is some of his best work - any Hayden fan (or former fan who lost track of him after Everything I Long For) should check it out.
    going to see Hayden tomorrow in London

:o
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    enjoyed the show Saturday night

2nd song was Home By Saturday, which is becoming one of my top 5 Hayden songs, after the show, my buddy Jay learned the song on guitar from what he heard at the show

didn't know any of the songs from the new album, but picked it up at the show and have been listening to it since I got back here; definitly recognize the songs he played that night

BIG BONUS !!! Trees Lounge, acoustic, just mesmerized, my favourite Hayden song

Bad As They Seem was amusing, I still amazed by how low he tunes that guitar to play it.

some really great songs on the piano, one got really intense, he is very captivating to watch

and the usual funny banter, especially the story behind Woody, which was picked up by the Starbucks Corp. to play in their stores, and the letter one person sent Starbucks about that song, saying it was about group masterbation in the back-yard, lol

it was amusing to hear him describe it

glad I went and looking forward to getting into more of his back-catalog which I missed
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Love the new record! This guy can do no wrong in my opinion. He's a terrific songwriter, and everything he puts out is pure quality. Great album.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • smarchee wrote:
    BIG BONUS !!! Trees Lounge, acoustic, just mesmerized, my favourite Hayden song

I am so jealous! I would have loved this!
    smarchee wrote:
    glad I went and looking forward to getting into more of his back-catalog which I missed

Do'nt worry, I haven't forgotten. It's coming. I'm having issues with my burner so it's taking longer than it normally would, but it's definitely in the works! :)
  • Only two more nights and I get to see him again.....last night of the tour....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76034449@N00/2272967232/
    Only two more nights and I get to see him again.....last night of the tour....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76034449@N00/2272967232/

nice picture Riding The Wave

is he coming back to Hamilton for the last night of the tour ?

I hope you get some Trees Lounge ;)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2