Options

Robert Smith's bastard child?

boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
edited October 2007 in Other Music
I was just at the Smashing Pumpkins show last week and had the misfortune of having my ears assualted by The Bravery. Seriously can that dude be ripping off The Cure any more? I know I must have been living under a rock for not knowing who these guys are but when they started playing I was at the concession area and I thought they were playing some Cure music over the PA. Lame.....although I will say that the song about every word you say is a knife in my ear is a pretty hilarious sentiment. I'm going to have to start using that phrase.
one foot in the door
the other foot in the gutter
sweet smell that they adore
I think I'd rather smother
-The Replacements-
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    saying anything the Bravery has done is comparable to the Cure or Robert Smith is a huge insult.

The Cure, whether you like them or not, are legendary.

The lead singer of the Bravery (who I have seen once or twice opening for other bands or at festivals) is a preeny little priss bag who truly thinks he is amazing.

He's legendary ... in his own mind.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    The Cure so awesome.. how will i wait for March, its miles away
  • Options
    No disrespect to The Cure, I'm just saying that this guy was blatantly imitating Robert Smith's voice and singing style.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I BrisK I wrote:
    The Cure so awesome.. how will i wait for March, its miles away

I just saw them 2 nights ago at The Download Festival at the Shoreline. The Cure played for close to 3 HOURS and it was amazing.

I've heard of The Bravery but I don't know why I have. Can't remember if they've been at some festival I was at.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i saw them open for incubus this last summer, i couldnt even believe some of the idiots enjoying them. they were by far the worst band i have ever heard, not even live, just the worst band period. every song was so similar and the drummer played nearly the same beat for every song.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    I just saw them 2 nights ago at The Download Festival at the Shoreline. The Cure played for close to 3 HOURS and it was amazing.

I've heard of The Bravery but I don't know why I have. Can't remember if they've been at some festival I was at.

I was there (shoreline this past weekend) ... and indeed, it was amazing!

The first encore ... 7 straight songs from Boys Don't Cry! That was completely unexpected and unreal ... probably better then when I saw them a few years ago at Coachella.

I saw the Bravery open for Ash here in SFO ... no wait, that was how it was originally billed, then Bravery's one hit "Honest Mistake" broke and they flipped the acts ... Ash opened for Bravery ... so fucking wrong.

I bumped into the lead singer at Coachella walking the grounds ... he was looking for someone to compliment him ... lookin' hard ... no one was biting.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    I bumped into the lead singer at Coachella walking the grounds ... he was looking for someone to compliment him ... lookin' hard ... no one was biting.
    lmao. :D

The Cure are fucking divine. Hopefully I'll be seeing them in January.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    taken from another board ... this was the Cure's Set list at Shoreline ...

and indeed, I feel lucky I was at their only North American appearance in 2007 ...

(The first encore is sick I tell you ... SICK!)

Cure Setlist

ape (intro)
    Open
    alt.end
    A Night Like This
    The Baby Screams
    The End of the World
    Lovesong
    Pictures of You
    Lullaby
    Maybe Someday
    Kyoto Song
    New Song from upcoming album
    The Walk
    Push
    How Beautiful You Are
    Inbetween Days
    Just Like Heaven!
    Primary
    If Only Tonight We Could Sleep
    The Kiss
    Never Enough
    Wrong Number
    Signal to Noise
    One Hundred Years
    Shiver and Shake
    End

--First Encore--
    Three Imaginary Boys!
    Fire in Cairo
    Boys Don't Cry
    Jumping Someone Else's Train
    Grinding Halt
    10:15 Saturday Night
    Killing an Arab

--Second Encore--
    Play For Today
    A Forest

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    ya

They did a special show last year @ royal albert hall and played for about 2 hours 55. Can't believe i missed it.
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    LMAO... i saw the Bravery open for Incubus this summer....

Robert Smith's bastard child, indeed.... however, i mostly noticed the Duran Duran influence... Robert and Simon's love-child, perhaps?

the funniest thing about it, it that they're from New York!! and they sing with british accents... too funny.... :rolleyes:
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    That is a sick encore. Good christ.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Just saw the bravery open for Smashing Pumpkins in Detroit. Songs did sound similar but quite honestly I don't see the Cure comparison. The Cure are unbelievable and the singers' style was nowhere near Robert Smithish.
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    LMAO... i saw the Bravery open for Incubus this summer....

Robert Smith's bastard child, indeed.... however, i mostly noticed the Duran Duran influence... Robert and Simon's love-child, perhaps?

the funniest thing about it, it that they're from New York!! and they sing with british accents... too funny.... :rolleyes:

The British have a name for it....I believe it's called a false wanker.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-