R&R Hall of Fame-What was Peter Buck's problem?

boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
edited March 2007 in Other Music
What the hell was up with Peter Buck at REM's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? First of all while Michael Stipe was speaking you could just see him hammering wine in the background. Then he doesn't say a word for the acceptance. And then did you catch his act, throwing the amp off the stage and the other band members seemed on edge and not quite sure how to handle him. I mean it looked to me like he was just about to snap. Does anyone have any insight into what the hell was his problem? You could see Mike Mills and Michael Stipe trying to calm him down. Even Eddie Vedder looked like he said something to him. That was really bizarre. Me and my wife were just watching and looking at each other and saying....."He's about to totally freak out." Seriously I was worried about the guy, I didn't think he could hold it together until the end. Like I said, anybody know what was up with him? Maybe he'd been drinking for those 4 hours before they finally hit the stage, that was a long friggin ceremony.
one foot in the door
the other foot in the gutter
sweet smell that they adore
I think I'd rather smother
-The Replacements-
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Uhhh, can you say al-co-holic? Remember the guy was busted for assaulting a flight attendant (or some woman) on a plane. What a douche.
  • cc10106 wrote:
    Uhhh, can you say al-co-holic? Remember the guy was busted for assaulting a flight attendant (or some woman) on a plane. What a douche.

Yeah I know he's got some problems with the booze, but not all alcoholics are assholes. I guess he's not a happy drunk.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Yeah I know he's got some problems with the booze, but not all alcoholics are assholes. I guess he's not a happy drunk.

Yeah, I wasn't implying that they all are and I'm not sure how it came out that way, but whatever. He seems like an asshole to me, drunk or not.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, the amp met it's end because it died in the first song, or so i read.

maybe he was pissed off about how much VR sucked.

and fucking hell, AC30s are not light either.
  • exhausted wrote:
    well, the amp met it's end because it died in the first song, or so i read.

maybe he was pissed off about how much VR sucked.

and fucking hell, AC30s are not light either.

Maybe he doesn't like Al Sharpton?
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
    i once threw my amp at al sharpton so this is not out of the realm of possibility.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I'm not sure if you could hear this also, but it sounded like his guitar was way outta tune during "Man on the moon"! It sounded awful.

So the rock-n-roll handbook says (On page 437) and I quote: "take out your frustration with the performance of your instrument on said instrument, or the nearest amplifier".
  • Smile_dad wrote:
    I'm not sure if you could hear this also, but it sounded like his guitar was way outta tune during "Man on the moon"! It sounded awful.

So the rock-n-roll handbook says (On page 437) and I quote: "take out your frustration with the performance of your instrument on said instrument, or the nearest amplifier".

Yeah I did notice his guitar was out of tune. Good point about the R&R handbook, I had forgotten that. He almost took out a few people's toes in the front row. Is that like getting hit with a foul ball at a baseball game? Is getting your toes crunched by an amp an inherent risk in attending the R&R Hall of Fame induction ceremony?
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
    Yeah I did notice his guitar was out of tune. Good point about the R&R handbook, I had forgotten that. He almost took out a few people's toes in the front row. Is that like getting hit with a foul ball at a baseball game? Is getting your toes crunched by an amp an inherent risk in attending the R&R Hall of Fame induction ceremony?

Just think of all the toes that may have been saved in the future...
    without Kurt Cobain in attendance when NIRVANA gets inducted!

Oh how I wish he was still here. He would've loved to shake things up at that place, with all the tuxedoes, and old timers there!
  • Smile_dad wrote:

Buck's got it all wrong. You're supposed to scream and curse at the guitar tech and then smash and throw your equipment. A veteran should not commit a rookie mistake like that and leave out a step.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
    Buck's got it all wrong. You're supposed to scream and curse at the guitar tech and then smash and throw your equipment. A veteran should not commit a rookie mistake like that and leave out a step.

Not enough time for thatwhen you have to cram in 4 or 5 songs!

C'mon... you know the rules! Refer to page 557! It's all in there!
  • Smile_dad wrote:
    Just think of all the toes that may have been saved in the future...
    without Kurt Cobain in attendance when NIRVANA gets inducted!

Oh how I wish he was still here. He would've loved to shake things up at that place, with all the tuxedoes, and old timers there!

I think Patti Smith singing "Rock and Roll Nigger" did that quite nicely. That was awesome.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
    I think Patti Smith singing "Rock and Roll Nigger" did that quite nicely. That was awesome.

That was Incredible! Stooges cover was pretty great as well.
  • ecd1973ecd1973 Posts: 30
    exhausted wrote:
    i once threw my amp at al sharpton so this is not out of the realm of possibility.

He should have thrown Scott Weiland at his amp, hoping for a ricochet into Al Sharpton. That is a pretty high difficulty maneuver though.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

-- Willy Wonka
  • ecd1973 wrote:
    He should have thrown Scott Weiland at his amp, hoping for a ricochet into Al Sharpton. That is a pretty high difficulty maneuver though.

I don't know, Weiland only weighs about as much as an Olson twin so I think Buck could have pulled it off. Come to think of it Weiland was kind of dressed like an Olson twin......Coincidence? Has anyone ever seen the Olson twins and Scott Weiland in the same place? I think I'm onto something.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
    Has anyone ever seen the Olson twins and Scott Weiland in the same place? I think I'm onto something.

i think i did once. however, there were a lot of drug dealers obstructing my view.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I don't know, Weiland only weighs about as much as an Olson twin so I think Buck could have pulled it off. Come to think of it Weiland was kind of dressed like an Olson twin......Coincidence? Has anyone ever seen the Olson twins and Scott Weiland in the same place? I think I'm onto something.

LMAO :D

It is worth me watching the ceremony?
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • I didn't think Peter had a problem at all. He did the same thing at the GA Hall of fame, brought his glass of wine up with him. People seemed to have noticed that he was mad because of his amp. But he looked fine to me. No one was calming him down either. Peter was comforting Bill if anyone really looked. And sorry but after dealing with thousands of drunks at Pearl Jam concerts I don't think anyone can say anything about drinking. Ed constantly drinks wine on stage. Throwing the amp is just a rock and roll thing. Ed used to do things like that back in the ten days. And on occasion they still throw something.
    Maybe Keith brought out Peter's rage. :)
    "If you were waiting for us, than we were waiting for you" E. Vedder 10-3-05

He who forgets will be destined to remember.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I thought Buck did look like an asshole when Stipe was talking, just chugging wine in total rockstar mode.

I didn't like the music of Man on the Moon either. I didn't think they were out of tune, just that they were trying to be arty. I have a terrible ear for music so I really can't say.

Mike Mills was cool thanking Ed for his music.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    Maybe Pete just has "stage fright" & needed a glass of wine to calm down....I dunno.....just thought the amp thing was typical rock star stuff, but kind of inapproriate also....the tables were pretty close & this was a ceremony in their honor.....?????
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i like the breaking things part of art but that amp almost hit that one persons foot
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    deadnote wrote:
    i like the breaking things part of art but that amp almost hit that one persons foot

If you ain't got a scar from a concert ( I know it wasn't really a concert), you haven't been to a real show. ;)
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Smile_dad wrote:
    yeah it was way outta tune and it had the echoing sound to it, who cares if the guy was drinking for 4 hours, he deserves a night to unwind all that hard work for the past 25+ years. wow so a rock star got drunk at a cermony, big deal.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I didn't think that much about it when I watched it the first three or four times.

I noticed Buck didn't speak, but he's not usually the mouthpieces that Mills and Stipe are for the band.

He should've saved the amp-throwing for all those folks that butchered People Have the Power at the end.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020