The Afghan Whigs Rock!

boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I haven't listened to Gentlemen all the way through in a couple of months. What a friggin masterpiece. If you've never heard the Afghan Whigs album Gentlemen go get it ASAP. Greg Dulli is an amazing singer, dude has some pipes and just an incredible wounded, melodic, primal scream to go with some fantastic lyrics. Some of Greg Dulli's classic lines on the album....

Ladies, let me tell you about myself
I got a dick for a brain
And my brain is gonna sell my ass to you
Now i'm ok, but in time i'll find i'm stuck
'cause she wants love, and i still want to fuck

also...

She said baby, forever, but i don't like to be alone
So don't stay away too long
Baby, forever, well it's tuesday now
I hear him breathing inside of her
Let me drink
Let me tie off
I'm really slobbering now
Let it stink
Let it dry up
It's impossible
How?

and....

I should have seen this shit coming down the hall
Every night i spent in that bed with you facing the wall
If i could have only once heard you scream
To feel you were alive
Instead of watching you abandoning yourself

Okay so I got that off my chest. Just trying to spread the Whigs gospel. Too bad they broke up.
one foot in the door
the other foot in the gutter
sweet smell that they adore
I think I'd rather smother
-The Replacements-
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    there's a newer whigs song on their myspace. have ya heard?
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • kdpjam wrote:
    there's a newer whigs song on their myspace. have ya heard?

No, I'll check it out. I thought Dulli had a new band now? The Twilight Singers. Kind of boring compared to the grit of Congregation and Gentlemen.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    No, I'll check it out. I thought Dulli had a new band now? The Twilight Singers. Kind of boring compared to the grit of Congregation and Gentlemen.
    yeah I agree Dulli hasnt topped Gentlemen which was a real growere to me and the Twilight Singers are a little insipid. his newest project is with mark lanegan.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Hell yeah! Was listening to 'Gentlemen' last night. First time in afew years. Forgotten just how great it is.

Any other albums of their I should pick up?
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i have their best of and every song on there is amazing.
  • Yea, I bought Gentlemen a year ago and haven't listened to in much at all besides the first 5 songs. But damn I've been listening to it all a lot more lately.

"It's locked it's jaw and now it's swallowing"
  • No, I'll check it out. I thought Dulli had a new band now? The Twilight Singers. Kind of boring compared to the grit of Congregation and Gentlemen.

The Whigs got together to do a couple of new songs for a retrospective/greatest hits record. Have you heard the latest Twilight Singers album Powder Burns? It goes back to the Whigs sound, and easily stands up against ANYTHING he's ever written. I honestly can't recommend it highly enough, it's far more rocking than their previous records, and musically sounds like it could have been the record between Black Love and 1965. The song There's Been An Accident is jaw-dropping. Listen to it here: http://media.putfile.com/Theres-Been-An-Accident
  • Sorry I can't help but take umbrage with some of those negative remarks about the Twilight Singers! They started off a little bland with the first album, but seriously they have gotten better and better with each release. Please, please give Powder Burns a chance, in my view it's the best rock album to come out in the last five years at least. But don't just take my word for it, the critics pretty much unanimously creamed their pants over it too, check out some of the reviews: http://www.summerskiss.com/category/press-reviews-powder