Another Paul Westerberg Gem

boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I have no shortage of admiration for Paul Westerberg and he continues to do and say things that just make his legend grow for me. The dude is classic. Below is an excerpt from an interview he did where in one contrite sentence he pretty much takes a flame thrower to The Police and the phenomenon of old bands reuniting for tours. This is why I love the guy, he is so candid. He will say anything that's on his mind. He gives me hope that there are still artists in this world with integrity and honesty.

Westerberg was quoted in an article in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune about "musicians reuniting in twilight of careers", which centered around the latest hype of The Police reunion. Westerberg, Minnesota's most reclusive rock star, understands all the reunion hoopla. His Replacements have been on fans' reunion wish list for years. There are two reasons bands reconvene, the former Replacements frontman said:

"1. They miss each other; 2. They need money. Or it could be 2-1 backwards."
one foot in the door
the other foot in the gutter
sweet smell that they adore
I think I'd rather smother
-The Replacements-
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I love Paul Westerberg and The Replacements... I would love to see the Replacements back together but it will never happen as long as Tommy is hangin around Axl and the GnR replacements!
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    s_rockvam wrote:
    I love Paul Westerberg and The Replacements... I would love to see the Replacements back together but it will never happen as long as Tommy is hangin around Axl and the GnR replacements!

Tommy has already reunited with Paul to do some songs and they even played live together. Axl has nothing to do with why they haven't done a full fledged Replacements reunion, its that they don't want to yet.
  • holtz wrote:
    Tommy has already reunited with Paul to do some songs and they even played live together. Axl has nothing to do with why they haven't done a full fledged Replacements reunion, its that they don't want to yet.

I know, I just wish Tommy would leave Guns and come back to his roots in Minnesota with Soul Asylum and Paul... The songs on the Open Season soundtrack with Tommy had us all hoping that it would blossom into the Mats reunion it coulda been!
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • s_rockvam wrote:
    I know, I just wish Tommy would leave Guns and come back to his roots in Minnesota with Soul Asylum and Paul... The songs on the Open Season soundtrack with Tommy had us all hoping that it would blossom into the Mats reunion it coulda been!

Well apparently unless they need money or miss each other, it isn't going to happen. I don't think Chris Mars even plays drums any more does he? And Slim Dunlap is kind of a Replacement by default, he's kind of like the 5th Beatle.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    a mats reunion. wonder if it would be as stellar as i wish...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • kdpjam wrote:
    a mats reunion. wonder if it would be as stellar as i wish...

who knows but it would be fun to see either way

Don't it make you smile?
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    ya. its been awhile since i've seen them, thats for sure.. lol
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~