Ministry - The Last Sucker

Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Inexplicably, this is the first Ministry release I've picked up since Filth Pig. What a killer album! I've only had it about a week, but so far the Dick Song and Death and Destruction (that Bush cackle is spooky as fuck) are total standouts....and kudos for the Eisenhower speech on End of Days.

While checking to see what I've been missin out on, I read that this is to be the last Ministry album...shit. I have some catching up to do....where to start? Are there any Ministry fans around here?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    First off, you want to get Houses of the Mole. That CD flat out rocks and easily their best since Psalm 69. Rio Grande Blood is good, not great but worth checking out. the ones between Filth Pig and Houses of the Mole are not worth your time (Dark Side of the Spoon, Animosi..whatever)

I am a little confused on your last sentence. If you are looking for Ministry CD's before Filth Pig that you have to own, then below are must have's (I would figure if you had Filth Pig, you would have a good chunk of the previous releases)

Land of Rape and Honey
    Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
    In Case You Didn't Feel like Showing Up (live)
    Psalm 69

the Stigmata off In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up is the most intense live recording I have ever heard...from anybody.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I am a Ministry fan. After Filth Pig they released a couple of duds. I think one was called Dark Side Of The Spoon and another was a one word start with an A, never did anything for me. The Dark Side was a real dissapointment. But them something clicked with Al, maybe we got sober, maybe he was sick of another Bush in office, and he came out with Houses Of The Mole. Get this, this is classic Ministry that completely turned back the clock to the 90s. Saw them on this tour, and was blown away by how heavy and intense they still were. One of the most intense concerts I have been to, and it was some shitty bar in Guelph, Ontario. Followed that up with another pretty good album, Rio Grande Blood, but for me, now as good as HOTM, but still soild. Have not picked up their new one yet. Will do eventually.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    i think Psalm 69 is their best overall offering... it was an AMAZING album... really hard album and rocks out from the first to the last song...

i will check out the new one based on your recommendation.

thanks!
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    transplant wrote:
    First off, you want to get Houses of the Mole. That CD flat out rocks and easily their best since Psalm 69. Rio Grande Blood is good, not great but worth checking out. the ones between Filth Pig and Houses of the Mole are not worth your time (Dark Side of the Spoon, Animosi..whatever)

I am a little confused on your last sentence. If you are looking for Ministry CD's before Filth Pig that you have to own, then below are must have's (I would figure if you had Filth Pig, you would have a good chunk of the previous releases)

Land of Rape and Honey
    Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
    In Case You Didn't Feel like Showing Up (live)
    Psalm 69

the Stigmata off In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up is the most intense live recording I have ever heard...from anybody.

I don't own anything pre-MIATTTT, but am familiar with Land of Rape and Honey....I was mostly asking if any of the newer stuff is any good, but I'm curious about the early-early stuff too. I will def check out Houses of the Mole...I read that the Last Sucker was the third of an anti-Bush trilogy so I guess HOTM would be part of that...interesting...I love how boldly political the Last Sucker is.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I love how boldly political the Last Sucker is.
    well then you will get a kick out of Houses of the Mole, as each song starts with the letter 'W'. Songs like Wrong, Worthless, No W (ok, still a W in in). Al is relentless. Makes for good songs.

The early stuff, like With Sympathy is Ok, just not ANYTHING like the others, it is just a dark synth heavy dare I say Depeche Mode-ish. Twitch is Ok, it gets things going in the right direction, I just don't consider it a must have.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i use to be a HUGE Ministry fan but i thought Houses of The Mole was pretty bad. i saw Ministry on the Animosity tour w/ Anthrax, Motograder and... i can't remember the last one. basically they played the first three tracks off of Animostiy and the rest was a greatest hits show with "The Light Pours Out Of Me" as an oncore w/ Ogre on vocals!! anyway:

WaxTrax 12" Singles-All Day and Everyday Is Halloween are good. rereleased as Early Trax.
    Twitch-start here. some cool stuff but it's mostly 80s synth/noise.
    Land Of Rape And Honey-more like noise/guitar rock. some very cool stuff
    Mind-essential
    In Case You Didn't Feel Like SHowing Up live EP-awesome but get the VHS with live versions of Breathe and The Land Of Rape And Honey
    Psalm 69-you know how good this is
    Filth Pig-slow sludgy. i like it. "Game Show" rules
    Dark Side Of The Spoon-one of my favorites. "Kaif", "Nursing Home", "10/10", all good tunes.
    Animosititisomina-spotty. "Leper", "Shove", "Animosty", "The Light Pours Out Of Me" are all good.

also get
    1000 Homo DJs - unreleased Rape and Honey bsides (Supernaut)
    Pailhead- Al's project w/ Ian McKay from Fugazi
    Acid Horse- No Name No Slogan

all this shit was rereleased as Side Trax.