What do you think of Live?

BySleightofHandBySleightofHand Posts: 73
edited October 2006 in Other Music
I'm contemplating seeing Live play next month. Anybody recommend or been to a concert of there's rececently? I've never seen them, but I own all their cd's.
Something never thought you'd be part of
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I used to be a fan during the 90's. I saw them once and they were amazing, awesome !
    recently, i don't know. IMO, thei music was better previously and I'm not fan of their last albums. But on stage I think it will still be fine... Enjoy!
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • i also saw them in the early 90's, right after throwing copper came out. they were great. i would go see them if they were playing near me.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Loved their early stuff, can't stand their more recent stuff, but having seen them live a couple of years ago I'd definitely go again even just to hear the hits which still sound incredible.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I sa them at the Ram's Head in Baltimore last year. they tore it up live, and the new music sounded a lot better live than it does on the albums...which is kinda odd.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I loved them up through Secret Samadhi. I really don't like them much at all since. Would be a pretty good live show for the old stuff though.
  • warehousewarehouse Posts: 124
    Saw them a year or two ago. They put on a good show, I had a really good time.
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
  • throwing copper is such an underrated 90's classic.
  • Live is a kick ass band, some people say they dont like there new stuff I really do. Yes see them in concert there great, also Ed is such a beautiful singer.
  • lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    I saw them in July. I'm not a big Live fan, but they do put on a good show. Lots of interaction with/talking to the crowd. The place was about 1/2 full or so and they didn't care, they rocked out for those who were there.

Jeff Martin (ex-Tea Party lead singer) opened for them. I was really impressed as I'd never been much of a Tea Party fan (you're probably wondering why I was even at the concert, but I wanted to check out Live, well live..) anyhow Jeff Martin's solo cd is pretty good (its called "Exile and the Kingdom")
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I like the first 3 albums...their last one aren't that good in my opinion...I really don't like songs like Dolphin's Cry and Run to the water....brrr...

Secret Samadhi is their best one...great album!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • I like Live, an under-appreciated band imo. Saw them live last year, in fact they opened for Nickelback, but to be honest I went to see Live and I left during Nickleback.

Live played all their classics and a lot of other songs. They were awesome.
    i cannot stop the thought.......running in the dark

Vancouver 9/2/05
    Gorge 7/22/06
    Gorge 7/23/06
    EV Vancouver 2 04/06/08
  • thesoviet wrote:
    I like Live, an under-appreciated band imo. Saw them live last year, in fact they opened for Nickelback, but to be honest I went to see Live and I left during Nickleback.

Can't say I'd blame ya!
  • I agree with the general consensus...

they are a great and to see.
    So you buried all your lover's clothes
    and burned the letters lover wrote,
    but it doesn't make it any better.
    Does it make it any better?
    thesoviet wrote:
    I like Live, an under-appreciated band imo. Saw them live last year, in fact they opened for Nickelback, but to be honest I went to see Live and I left during Nickleback.

Nickelback ??!!
    Strange idea to go to one of their show... If show is the word for them...
    I really hate wha they do..
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Julien wrote:
    Nickelback ??!!
    Strange idea to go to one of their show... If show is the word for them...
    I really hate wha they do..

I think you must be in the minority then. ;)
    gabers wrote:
    maybe and I respcet those who like them, but I can't listen to that band...
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    I saw them with the Counting Crows around 2000, and I wasnt too impressed. They were very "glammy".

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    gabers wrote:

The minority gets bigger...I dislike them alot...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Live is great. And yeah "Throwing Copper" is a NICE album. I've heard that they're incredible when it comes to performing.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Live is a very great band. Yes Throwing Copper is there best, but there new album is great. All n all Live rules
  • Music is so very subjective and that's cool. I'm in the minority as I'm a fan of all of Live's stuff from "Mental Jewelry" to "Songs from Black Mountain." The songwriting on "Birds of Pray" & "Black Mountain" may be genric modern rock fodder but I've always liked Live for the quiet verses and the big hook-y choruses. They'll never be in my top 5 but I thoroughly enjoy listening to every album because it is disctinctively Live. The musicians are good and Ed has an amazing vocal range imho. A lot of fans of the older material and music critics have certainly slagged their last couple albums as uninspired, but I love to crank em' up
  • Throwing Copper is one of my favourite rock albums of the 90s but i find all of their other albums are patchy at best. Mental Jewelry has some great moments though.
    I hate the way Ed is always singing about his daughter these days, anything i've heard from their recent output has been cheesetastic.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    not my place to say it but I dont like them at all.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • redladyredlady Posts: 602
    Well saw them 5 times already and everytime it's was great....so mutch energy and Ed's voice is so great aswell....defenetly should check them out if they are coming near you...
    Pukkelpop '95 Neil Young with Pearl Jam without EV
    Antwerp 30-08-2006
    Berlin 23-09-2006
    Rock Werchter 29-06-2007
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010
    Rock Werchter 04-07-2010
  • I'm contemplating seeing Live play next month. Anybody recommend or been to a concert of there's rececently? I've never seen them, but I own all their cd's.

omg they are the shittttttttttttt ...my 2nd favorite band to pearl jam...and they are the bomb live....you will not regret it ....goooooooooooooooo
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • Live is a very great band. Yes Throwing Copper is there best, but there new album is great. All n all Live rules

You rock !!!!!!!!! with your excellent taste
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

• rktscirktsci Posts: 19
    Saw them on the Throwing Copper tour and about 2 years ago. Both were excellent shows. They haven't seemed to have lost it on stage even though I haven't been a fan of their recent stuff. They completely turned me away after FIVE, or maybe it was V, either way that was one of the worst albums ever. But, when I saw them 2 years ago, it seemed as if they realized that and completely avoided playing anything from it.
  • Picked up tix today (35 bucks a pop). Went directly to the place rather than pay stupid ticketmaster 6.65 per tix! I'm sure I'm gonna like the show. Thanks all for the advice!

PS I felt V and Birds of Pray were downers aside from the radio songs. This last album, Songs from Black Mountain, is more consistent, albeit lighter than their earlier stuff.
  • Picked up tix today (35 bucks a pop). Went directly to the place rather than pay stupid ticketmaster 6.65 per tix! I'm sure I'm gonna like the show. Thanks all for the advice!

PS I felt V and Birds of Pray were downers aside from the radio songs. This last album, Songs from Black Mountain, is more consistent, albeit lighter than their earlier stuff.

i dont know..i kinda thought the same way as you when i first heard V ..but i just kept playing it and i really dig the cd...granted it isnt my fave live...those are throwing copper and secret samdhi..the distance to here,and MJ too..now the awake~best of live cd is the bomb.he does runaway with shelby lynn and throws in his version of walk the line at the end of the cd...not bad. at all

• I dont understand how people dont like Birds of Prey, and Songs from black moutnain there great albums. Maybe not as hard rocking as Throwing copper but still great none the less. Also there a great band on stage his voice sounds very good live lol.