Tragically Hip Recommendations

fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
edited February 2007 in Other Music
hey, I started listening to a couple songs that I got from a friend, and I really started to like them. anyway, i was wondering if real fans here could give me some recommendations as to their best CDs for which ones i should pick up next weekend. also, if there are any other bands you guys want me to check out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    their live album is amazing. it's called 'live between us.' other than that, if you want a sampler of their career... their compilation is very good and is called 'yer favorites.'

now if you just want a great album... phantom power, fully completely, and road apples were my favorites.
  • hey, I started listening to a couple songs that I got from a friend, and I really started to like them. anyway, i was wondering if real fans here could give me some recommendations as to their best CDs for which ones i should pick up next weekend. also, if there are any other bands you guys want me to check out.

lots of opinions and recommendations in the first few pages of this thread...:)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=159044

HIP!
    :D
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    For a Hip newbie I definitely recommend picking up their 2-disc greatest hits collection "Yer Favourites", and then go from there. As for their albums, check out:

Day for Night
    Phantom Power
    World Container
    Road Apples
    Fully Completely
    Trouble at the Henhouse
    In Between Evolution

Those are my favorites, but as mentioned above, Hip fans have varying opinions on what their best albums are. Personally I think their new album "World Container" is the best thing they've done in years. It's finally being released in the U.S. on March 6th. Go buy it!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    For a Hip newbie I definitely recommend picking up their 2-disc greatest hits collection "Yer Favourites", and then go from there. As for their albums, check out:

Day for Night
    Phantom Power
    World Container
    Road Apples
    Fully Completely
    Trouble at the Henhouse
    In Between Evolution

Those are my favorites, but as mentioned above, Hip fans have varying opinions on what their best albums are. Personally I think their new album "World Container" is the best thing they've done in years. It's finally being released in the U.S. on March 6th. Go buy it!

haha, so basically every album but the first? cmon... check out 90% of their catalogue ;)

you're nuts if you think trouble at the henhouse is better than up to here!
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Well, I recently got my paycheck, so I'm gonna buy a couple CD's next week. What I'll probably end up getting is Yer favorites, then from there get phantom power, fully completely, road apples, and day for night.

after that, i'll check out others, but those should be more than enough for a while.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Well, I recently got my paycheck, so I'm gonna buy a couple CD's next week. What I'll probably end up getting is Yer favorites, then from there get phantom power, fully completely, road apples, and day for night.

after that, i'll check out others, but those should be more than enough for a while.

I always find that the best way to get into a band is to go for the best of and then look at what albums your personal favs come from. My opinion is that Day for Night, Fully Completly and Phantom Power are thier best.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I always find that the best way to get into a band is to go for the best of and then look at what albums your personal favs come from. My opinion is that Day for Night, Fully Completly and Phantom Power are thier best.

not always. like, when I try to get people into Pearl Jam, I never tell them to get the greatest hits first.
    not always. like, when I try to get people into Pearl Jam, I never tell them to get the greatest hits first.

do they end up getting into pearl jam? cos i feel like that's been a mistake ive made... pointing them to fav albums that they just dont get. let's face it, those songs were hits for a reason... and no code isn't going to appeal to everyone right off the bat.
    do they end up getting into pearl jam? cos i feel like that's been a mistake ive made... pointing them to fav albums that they just dont get. let's face it, those songs were hits for a reason... and no code isn't going to appeal to everyone right off the bat.

which is why I don't tell them to listen to no code right away. I usually let them go in order of the whole discography. makes more sense to me, and yeah so far they've all gotten into em.
    which is why I don't tell them to listen to no code right away. I usually let them go in order of the whole discography. makes more sense to me, and yeah so far they've all gotten into em.

maybe ill try that...
  • My fav albums are "Day for Night", "Fully Completely", "Trouble at the Henhouse", & "In between Evolution". I can't get into their new one "World Container" yet though.

I was unimpressed when I saw them recently live in Lethbridge though. The band was very tight and the setlist was excellent, but Gord yammered eccentric stuff throughout all my fav songs which I found annoying. I'm sure lots of die hard Hip' fans find all of his mid-song musings/ramblings fascinating, but to me they just fucked up all the songs live. I was better off saving my $60 and listening to my fav Hip' discs at home
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    My fav albums are "Day for Night", "Fully Completely", "Trouble at the Henhouse", & "In between Evolution". I can't get into their new one "World Container" yet though.

I was unimpressed when I saw them recently live in Lethbridge though. The band was very tight and the setlist was excellent, but Gord yammered eccentric stuff throughout all my fav songs which I found annoying. I'm sure lots of die hard Hip' fans find all of his mid-song musings/ramblings fascinating, but to me they just fucked up all the songs live. I was better off saving my $60 and listening to my fav Hip' discs at home

Just curious, was that your first time seeing them live? Because Gord has been doing that kind of stuff as long as I can remember. It's what makes him such a unique frontman, and it gives their live show that extra ingredient that most bands of their stature don't have. When Gord is in his "happy place", it makes the show that much more powerful, and I think it really adds to the songs. I've always been of the opinion that they're WAY better live than they are on record. But hey, that's me.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    so "live between us", good?
    so "live between us", good?

good is an understatement. it's incredible. just be prepared for gordie's oddball ramblings at times.