Options

What do you guys think of Our Lady Peace?

over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I am really digging their older stuff. My 2nd favorite band ever (besides Pearl Jam of course :))

Spiritual Machines is one of favorite albums ever. Not one bad song, and the Ray Kurzweil commentaries really add something. Gravity and HiPT were weak compared to what they are capable of but still decent. Anyway what does everyone else think?

Favorite Album-Spiritual Machines
Favorite Song- Stealing Babies
Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    naveed was epic, clumsy was pretty rad and everything after has been trash.
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    naveed was epic, clumsy was pretty rad and everything after has been trash.

Not true - you just didn't evolve with them... I hate when people say things like "everything after has been trash" like its the absolute opinion...

Spiritual MAchines is classic... HIPT has very good stuff on it... and Gravity wasn't so hot... "Happiness" is a good album, too..

3rd... maybe 4th favorite band of all time...
  • Options
    funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    They are one of my favourite Canadian bands. I saw them live for the fourth time a few weeks ago and they kicked major ass! Sometimes their live shows are hit and miss. Whenever they feel that a crowd is really into the show they seem to feed off that and then really go all out.

I'm not really one of those music purists that don't seem to want their artists/bands to evolve and try different things. Clumsy is probably my favourite album of theirs but the other albums are good too. Some are better than others. I actually like the new album, Happiness in Paranoid Times. Some people feel that the previous album Gravity was more of a sell-out album and in parts it does seem like it but it also has some kicking tunes that are great for listening to in the car.
  • Options
    I think they had one good album, which was their first one, and then they got producer that formatted them and game them a "sound", and everything they put out after their first album sounds the exact same, even once they switched to Bob Rock they just became even more watered down. And those high pitch squeal things that Raine does makes me wanna rip my eyeballs out, the most annoying and obvious trademark that I've heard. I think OLP could have been good if they'd stayed honest, instead they catered to radio. And I disagree that Chisopalooza didn't evolve with them, OLP didn't evolve, so he probably evolved past them.
  • Options
    Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I can't say I like a whole album... I do love "Are you Sad" "Sell my Soul" and "potato Girl". I liked Naveed a lot and I like to see them live.
    Cock Fight.
  • Options
    Naveed was one of the albums I was listening to when I made the change from me, to a different me. And for that, I'll forever consider them a great band. However, I havn't been keeping up with their newer stuff so I can't have an honest opinion one way or the other.
    Want to be enlightened, like I want to be told the end.
  • Options
    Gators76Gators76 Posts: 160
    I'm thinking WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Supermans dead.
    WHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY is it in my head.

Just had that one my Ipod :D
    Toledo 96, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Vegas 06,
    San Diego 06.....Do I want some more? I said FUCK YEAH!!!!
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    One of my friends showed me two of their songs. I believe they were "One Man Army" and "Superman's Dead". They were good. Just not "omg i have to go out and buy their album NOWWWWWWW" good.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,116
    I like them well enough, but they've never had that album or song that hooked me as a lifelong fan. They are pretty good in concert. Saw them at a festival show in town and they did a pretty good set.
  • Options
    As good as the first two records were, I think "Happiness..." is the most well-rounded of them all. It's pretty much great all the way through, with the exception of maybe one or two songs. Spiritual Machines was kind of a weird departure for them, as far as the mood and tone of the album goes but still good nonetheless. They totally lost me after that when Mike left the band and all the bullshit rockstar posturing was even more emphasized.

*Edit - I forgot that of the three times I saw them, once was an all-acoustic set and they covered "Dear Prudence" and totally slayed it. In the good way, I mean.
    Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
    Dallas 07/05/1998
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    There an awesome live bandm and there first 4 records kick ass. HIPT is good but not great. All in all one of Canada's best live bands next to The Tragically Hip of course.
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Yeah i loved OLP
    Naveed, Clumsy, Happiness and Spiritual Machines all are outstanding.
    Then they replaced the guitar player and started putting out shit .
    Gravity sounded like another dime a dozed pop rock band album and HIPT sounds like a bad u2 cover band.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Naveed is a great album. Songs like The Birdman, Hope & Naveed were very interesting, also Julia is a class rocker. After that things got watered down and radio friendly 'Clumsy' and 'Happiness....' are decent albums, 'Spiritual Machines' was listenable but pretty boring (the theme was interesting, but the songs were pretty bog standard) 'Gravity' however was complete and utter shite MOR at it's very worst, I haven't picked up the new one because they just seem to be a band more interested in chasing popularity with safe MOR rock, than expanding on the styles that made 'Naveed' so great.
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    Not true - you just didn't evolve with them... I hate when people say things like "everything after has been trash" like its the absolute opinion...

Spiritual MAchines is classic... HIPT has very good stuff on it... and Gravity wasn't so hot... "Happiness" is a good album, too..

i don't know, happiness i could only listen to a couple of times before growing so bored of it. they tried too hard on everything after that -- i like them better as a canadian garage band than a canadian "prodigy"
  • Options
    they need to pull a Metallica and ditch Bob Rock for their next album probably their worst mistake was to work with him.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    NakedClown wrote:

totally agree with you here....Gravity was a shot at a "mainstream" album

seen these guys 3 times live in club venues and they put on a pretty good show