The Strokes

pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
edited February 2007 in Other Music
the new album is great, but "Is This It" is phenominal. One of the best albums I've ever heard.
anyone else a big fan of the band or album?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm a fan of both. I don't know if I'd rank any of their albums above eachother, but I love that they're evolving either way. They'll be around for awhile hopefully.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    lol, I made a thread with the same exact title, and pretty much about the same subject, and only two people answered....:( I hope you have better luck than I did...

But yeah, love the band, and I definitely like "Is This It" better.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Brez wrote:
    lol, I made a thread with the same exact title, and pretty much about the same subject, and only two people answered....:( I hope you have better luck than I did...

But yeah, love the band, and I definitely like "Is This It" better.
    I was getting around to it .. :p

Sidenote: Strokes are reallllly good pool playing music.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Room on Fire is my favorite Stokes album. I think all 3 albums are great though.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • love them! first band in a long time that really grabbed me!

all 3 albums are fuckin great. all in their own way.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • Love this band, their three records are incredible but the first one is my favourite.
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Yeah I really enjoy that album. I believe it's actually one of the 3 CD's that are in my CD player.

EDIT: Yes, yes it is actually....I know this as I actually went and checked (talk about bored):

Disc 1: Aerosmith - Honkin' On Bobo
    Disc 2: The Strokes - Is This It
    Disc 3: Pearl Jam - Riot Act
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    don't really like Is this it because he sings through a damn filler the whole time.

the other two are cool albums though.
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    I love The Strokes! :D "Is this it" is my favorite but FIoE has grown on me a lot lately!
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    a solid band,

maybe a bit overrated/overexposed
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • I love the Strokes. I think they're a strong band with lots of talent. First Impressions is their best yet, though.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • i saw them when the came to australia last august. they were really tight and are all very talented.. i agree with "letsongsprotest" room on fire is my favourite. especially "the end has no end" and "reptilia"
  • Love The Strokes!

Seen them a few times and love their albums.
  • I love the Strokes too. I've seen them live twice and they put on a good show. However I think their latest is album is their weakest. Not that it's bad but it's a few songs too long. They could have done without at least a couple of those songs.
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I want to love them, but they have gotten worse with each album. "Is This It?" is amazing, it will be a classic in my book, "Room On Fire" was pretty good, I enjoy a lot of songs from the album, but it lacked something that ITI had. "First Impressions...." is just bad. It is a few good tracks mixed in with way too many quite bad songs.

I'm hoping they put out a good album next time, when I heard "Is This It?" for the first time back in 2001 or 2002 or whatever I thought they would be one of my favorite bands, but they are moving in the wrong direction.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    CM1847 wrote:
    I want to love them, but they have gotten worse with each album. "Is This It?" is amazing, it will be a classic in my book, "Room On Fire" was pretty good, I enjoy a lot of songs from the album, but it lacked something that ITI had. "First Impressions...." is just bad. It is a few good tracks mixed in with way too many quite bad songs.

I'm hoping they put out a good album next time, when I heard "Is This It?" for the first time back in 2001 or 2002 or whatever I thought they would be one of my favorite bands, but they are moving in the wrong direction.

odd, cos ive found the exact opposite almost. room on fire seemed pretty similar to is this it... maybe not a huge improvement but not really a step back either. but i think the best moments on the last album greatly exceed anything they'd done before. i do think there were a few duds and it woulda benefited from being a bit shorter like their previous albums, but they showed some nice growth.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    odd, cos ive found the exact opposite almost. room on fire seemed pretty similar to is this it... maybe not a huge improvement but not really a step back either. but i think the best moments on the last album greatly exceed anything they'd done before. i do think there were a few duds and it woulda benefited from being a bit shorter like their previous albums, but they showed some nice growth.
    I think the last album had a few really knockout songs, "You Only Live Once" is one of my 2 or 3 favorites songs they have ever done, and easily the best single they have released. But the album was too long and outside of the few great songs, there wasn't much else remotely interesting to me. "Room On Fire" was a safe album, like you said it wasn't a big improvement, but it was an album full of good, not great, songs. With First Impressions they branched out more, but it only worked on a few songs IMO.
  • yes, their last album is not as good as the first two.

"IS This it" BLEW ME AWAY! It is one of about 4 albums that when i first heard them I went absolutely nuts! That album is top 5 all time for me.

"Room on Fire" was the same. The opening track "What ever happened" gives me goose bumps to this day. Maybe the best opening song on any album.

"First Impressions of Earth" is about half as good as the other two but that means that its still damn good.

Its about 5 great songs, 3 decent ones and the rest are not awful but easy to pass on. Actually, One song on that album is downright awful.

but other than that, I love them.
  • pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    Interesting that everyone has greatly varying opinions of the albums.
    Personally I love all 3. Is This It is easily my favorite though. Straight through it is an incredible listen (especially the New York City Cops version) and I still can't pick a favorite song from it. It's been the only cd in the player in my car for a good solid 3 weeks.
    Room on Fire is also awesome, haven't given it nearly enough listens to comment much further.
    First Impressions is also great. I would agree with the comments that it is a bit long, with a couple duds. some of those that I first thought were duds have really grown on me. "Ask Me Anything" blows though.
    the first four tracks: You Only Live Once, Juicebox, Heart in a Cage and Razoeblade, are absolutely outstanding though.