Options

Midnight Oil...wow I forgot how great they are

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Midnight Oil is one hell of a band. Talk about Politically charged!

Diesel and Dust is amazing- Beds Are Burning still one of the best songs of the 80's

Dreamworld, The Dead Heart....man some great tunes. Really sad lyrics about Australia being pillaged by modern man
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Yeah and then Petey shafted everybody by joining the Labour party. :rolleyes: :mad:

Can't listen now without feeling completely ripped off and scammed, always with the mixed emotions now.

Great songs though and doing my best to focus on the other band members who didn't sell out. :)

Oh and I probably should add that US Forces, Power and The Passion, Hercules, Armistice Day and One Country are my favorites. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    aah yes one of my fondest gig memories is being covered in peter garrett's sweat in 1982 at the capitol theatre in sydney. :D

run by night
    section 5
    dont wanna be the one
    kosciuszko
    power and the passion
    cold cold change
    no reaction
    wedding cake island
    back on the borderline
    surfing with a spoon
    US forces
    read about it
    short memory
    when the generals talk

my focus shifted after red sails, but i never lost respect for them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    aah yes one of my fondest gig memories is being covered in peter garrett's sweat in 1982 at the capitol theatre in sydney.

:D Seems to be and Occupational Hazard at an Oils gig. :p

dont wanna be the one
    read about it
    short memory
    when the generals talk

Ooh!! Ta cate! :) Forgot about these. They'd be in my top 10 too. :)

my focus shifted after red sails, but i never lost respect for them.

I still love the music and admire what Midnight Oil achieved but Petey, well yeah, Petey has definitely lost my respect. :(
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    One of the greatest bands of all time. I only got to see them once back in '93 when they toured Canada with The Tragically Hip on the "Another Roadside Attraction" tour. To this day it still stands as one of the most powerful rock shows I've ever experienced. I wish they would reunite just so I could see 'em live one more time.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Never listened to a lot of them, but the song "one country" is a great, great song. I'm not even sure what album its from.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    aah yes one of my fondest gig memories is being covered in peter garrett's sweat in 1982 at the capitol theatre in sydney. :D

I was once covered in the sweat of Ed from live. it is a strange moment, you don't know whether to be grossed out, or like 'it kinda cool'
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    Never listened to a lot of them, but the song "one country" is a great, great song. I'm not even sure what album its from.

Great film clip too. :) It's from the Blue Sky Mining (1990) album btw. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTpGgItl4hI
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I was once covered in the sweat of Ed from live. it is a strange moment, you don't know whether to be grossed out, or like 'it kinda cool'

yeah it is a strange moment. but being that close, youre so delirious that its totally cool. :D:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Jeanie wrote:

Great album, great song.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Jeanie wrote:

Thanks for the link. I really love that song.

Isn't the lead singer guy in Australian parliament now or something? I know they were always extremely socially aware.
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    Thanks for the link. I really love that song.

Isn't the lead singer guy in Australian parliament now or something? I know they were always extremely socially aware.

yes peter garrett is now federal minister for the environment. he tossed his green credentials on the scrap heap to join the labor party. many many people saw his joining the labor party as a sell out and were outraged that such a staunch activist would become a part of the evil empire he was so vocally opposed to.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    yes peter garrett is now federal minister for the environment. he tossed his green credentials on the scrap heap to join the labor party. many many people saw his joining the labor party as a sell out and were outraged that such a staunch activist would become a part of the evil empire he was so vocally opposed to.

I'd like to think he's simply infiltrated the evil empire to try and change things from within the system. The dude has always been a staunch environmentalist, so what better way to get things done than to become the minister for the environment? Makes sense to me. Although, I don't live in Australia, so you probably know a lot more about the situation than I do.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I'd like to think he's simply infiltrated the evil empire to try and change things from within the system. The dude has always been a staunch environmentalist, so what better way to get things done than to become the minister for the environment? Makes sense to me. Although, I don't live in Australia, so you probably know a lot more about the situation than I do.

I don't know anything about this band, or this guy, but I'd see it the same way. Surely the best way to change something is to get inside it and work on it from the inside? There's a pretty prevalent attitude these days that if we don't agree with something, we just disassociate ourselves and bow out. It's apathy, not activism.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:

if only this was true....

but its not. i had hoped initially that this was going to be the case, but no. he's become a standard run of the mill politician. its a absolute shame.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I don't know anything about this band, or this guy, but I'd see it the same way. Surely the best way to change something is to get inside it and work on it from the inside? There's a pretty prevalent attitude these days that if we don't agree with something, we just disassociate ourselves and bow out. It's apathy, not activism.

when one infiltrates the machine, one becomes a part of that machine. here in australia, the labor party is no different from the Liberal party. in fact the term opposition has lost all meaning when it is applied to either of these political parties depedent on who is in power.

when he was in midnight oil peter garrett was a staunch opposer of uranium mining and the export of such. now he supports both these actions. is this rotting the machine from the inside?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    if only this was true....

but its not. i had hoped initially that this was going to be the case, but no. he's become a standard run of the mill politician. its a absolute shame.

Australia ratified the Kyoto protocol on environment last year, right ? I think this is a positive change and believe Peter Garrett has something to do with that. But then it's just my outsider opinion.

Anyway, this thread just inspired me and I listened to "Diesel and Dust" and "Blue Sky Mining" again. Great albums !
  • Options
    Anyway, this thread just inspired me and I listened to "Diesel and Dust" and "Blue Sky Mining" again. Great albums !

I hear ya! This afternoon I was in a bookstore reading Paste Magazine and I came across a review of the new Legacy reissue of "Diesel and Dust", which inspired me to walk straight over to HMV to buy it. I've been listening to it for the past couple of hours. The remastering job is fantastic, and of course the album is still awesome from start to finish. These songs are timeless. It also comes with a bonus DVD documentary of the "Black Fella/White Fella" tour from 1986. If you're a hardcore Oils fan like myself, I highly recommend picking this up.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Australia ratified the Kyoto protocol on environment last year, right ? I think this is a positive change and believe Peter Garrett has something to do with that. But then it's just my outsider opinion.

you'd like to think he did? you mean you dont know for sure? australia would have ratified the kyoto protocol with or without garrett as federal environment minister. that is my inside opinion. also as i said previously garrett totally flipped on his stand on uranium mining. there is no excuse he could give for this that i would have respect for.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    Most fans know "Blue Sky Mining," "Deisel & Dust", "10,9,8,7,ect but can anyone recommend the group's later stuff like "Breathe" or "Redneck Wonderland?"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    great band had the pleasure of seeing three times ..

jones beach

cw post college

wetlands .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    you'd like to think he did? you mean you dont know for sure? australia would have ratified the kyoto protocol with or without garrett as federal environment minister. that is my inside opinion. also as i said previously garrett totally flipped on his stand on uranium mining. there is no excuse he could give for this that i would have respect for.

Well as I said I don't know all details since I'm not Australian ;)
    It's just that I recently saw a documentary on french television about Garrett and his new politician role ... never trust television :)
    I'm quite sure that any hardcore green activist will turn his jacket (wow that a complete french to english translation I'm not sure it's even right) or moderate his ideas once he becomes member of a government if he doesn't want to burn out completely.

*listened again to Diesel and Dust today ... another blast*
  • Options
    suffragettesuffragette Posts: 253
    light years away

another great song, as is "forgotten years". blue sky mining very overlooked album.
  • Options
    Most fans know "Blue Sky Mining," "Deisel & Dust", "10,9,8,7,ect but can anyone recommend the group's later stuff like "Breathe" or "Redneck Wonderland?"

Earth & Sun & Moon, Breathe, and Capricornia are all amazing albums. I've been trying to find a copy of Redneck Wonderland for a while. It's virtually impossible to find here in Canada. I'll probably have to order it online one of these days.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    They were one of the greatest live bands. I always liked how Peter started off with a few of his creepy dance moves, but as the show progressed, he'd just go crazy!

I remember a show in L.A. where Paul Hester of Crowded House suddenly popped-out of a metal drum in the middle of a song and began playing percussion for the rest of the song.
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206

Did he really!? Holy shit!!! See, this is what happens when you move away... I mean, I knew he was the Minister for the Environment (and I knew many people were against that cause he didn't have the experience), but flipping his stance on uranium mining!? I was ready to leap to his defense... I'm not sure I can now. Very disappointing. The Oils were great and I saw his joining Labor as a way of trying to make a difference... affect a change. Whatever happens, IMO, Labor is a waaaaay better alternative to what we had, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about Garrett right now :S

Without trying to sound like a total pessimist... I loved that the new government ratified Kyoto immediately... but that part's easy... actually cutting the emissions by the recommended levels is what matters!
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    One thing's for sure, regardless of his current political stance, the guy was by far one of the greatest rock n' roll frontmen ever. I'll never forget how crazy he was on stage when I saw them in '93. It was entertaining as hell.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    Pretty sure tour dates to be announced next week. Fingers crossed that they hit NA and I finally get to see them live again.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Pretty sure tour dates to be announced next week. Fingers crossed that they hit NA and I finally get to see them live again.

You just made my day, deary!!!
  • Options

One of the greatest bands of all time. I only got to see them once back in '93 when they toured Canada with The Tragically Hip on the "Another Roadside Attraction" tour. To this day it still stands as one of the most powerful rock shows I've ever experienced. I wish they would reunite just so I could see 'em live one more time.

your wish came true. how cool is that?
    http://www.midnightoil.com/tour-dates/#usa-canada
  • Options
    i signed up for the presale password via the webiste an hour before tickets went on sale and now they are on sale! eek
    anyone want to share the presale password with me?