Music has gone down the toilet...the grammys are here

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Looking at the Grammy nominations...what a joke. Now I know they always are- see Metallica losing to Jethro Tull---- PJ (VS), Nirvana(In Utero) and Smashing Pumpkins(Siamese Dream) all losing to the Rolling Stones.

but the musicians they have up for awards are so SHITTY! There are maybe 3 decent acts on the whole list.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• and this is new?
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    To be fair, mainstream rock music is at its lowest point in years. If you are picking your awards based off of the charts, there isn't much to choose from.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    i never trust the grammy's and the magazines....
    i like what i like, and fuck the nominations = they are nohting!

i know when the band is good......and that is when my heart starts beating faster and i pay attention to the music i listen to...that's when i know that the band is good.
    i don't need some suits to tell me what music is in right now,and which one isn't
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    genie wrote:
    i

i know when the band is good......and that is when my heart starts beating faster and i pay attention to the music i listen to...that's when i know that the band is good.
    i don't need some suits to tell me what music is in right now,and which one isn't
    I was about to say the same thing, minus the anger.
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    I was about to say the same thing, minus the anger.

oh, no i'm not angry...well maybe i am....no it's just i'm drunk!
    usually i'm a very nice person!when sober! haha
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Looking at the Grammy nominations...what a joke. Now I know they always are- see Metallica losing to Jethro Tull---- PJ (VS), Nirvana(In Utero) and Smashing Pumpkins(Siamese Dream) all losing to the Rolling Stones.

but the musicians they have up for awards are so SHITTY! There are maybe 3 decent acts on the whole list.
    Dude, the Grammy's have ALWAYS been shitty. How is this something new??? Look at all the past winners.
  • i'm still watching though
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Dude, the Grammy's have ALWAYS been shitty. How is this something new??? Look at all the past winners.
    The winners have always sucked, but they historically have nominated good albums, they just always end up giving the award to vertern artist rather than giving it to the best album of the year. But latley they can't even get some of the nominations correct.
  • If I got to choose the nominations up for best album of the year would be pearl jam, tool, red hot chilis, damien rice, Uncle Neil
    oh, seriously everyone, to hell with nominations!
    if Pearl Jam will never win them, it wouldn't bother me...
    i'd hate PJ to stand next to some 50 cent a like.... PJ are winners in our hearts!
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    "im gonna say something typically me on behalf of all of us, i dont know what this means, i dont think it means anything. . .thats just the way i feel. . .too many bands, you've heard it all before"
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Beyonce rocks !!!!!!! I hope she wins many grammy awards.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Rushlimbo wrote:
    Beyonce rocks !!!!!!! I hope she wins many grammy awards.
    I wanna see beyonce in a buttman movie
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • i diasgree with some of the nominations, but you people can't honestly think pearl jam deserves a nomination.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    http://music.msn.com/music/grammys/goofs?GT1=9076
    y Kurt B. Reighley
    For MSN Music

In 1989, Jethro Tull skipped the 31st annual Grammy Awards ceremony. Later that year, singer Ian Anderson told Chicago Tribune readers he was just following orders: "The record company told us, 'The word is that Metallica is going to win; it's not worth the trip.'"

In a surprise upset, Jethro Tull's "Crest of a Knave" LP won the first-ever Grammy for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance. It was just as well they stayed home, because the announcement brought down a hail of boos from the balcony. Apparently, "the little people" thought Metallica -- or perhaps one of the other nominees (Iggy Pop, AC/DC, Jane's Addiction) -- rocked harder than a band fronted by a flautist clad in a jerkin.

Prestigious or not, the Grammy Awards are notoriously conservative -- and often, just plain clueless -- in regards to the cultural zeitgeist. In their early days, when rock was in its adolescence and Motown and Bob Dylan supplied the soundtrack for a revolution, the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences doled out Record of the Year trophies to Herb Alpert, Henry Mancini and Percy Faith. The year the Beatles issued their groundbreaking "Revolver" (1966), Frank Sinatra waltzed off with Record and Album of the Year honors.

As a consequence of being behind the times, Grammy Awards often go to long-running acts that have seen much better days. 1994 was the year of eligibility for Nirvana's "In Utero," Pearl Jam's "Vs." and Smashing Pumpkins' "Siamese Dream." But the Rock Album of the Year winner? "Voodoo Lounge" by the Rolling Stones. Apparently the members of NARAS felt sorry for the Stones, having neglected to award them a single prize before that.

Sometimes, it seems Academy members vote with a rubber stamp, regardless of merit. Did Christopher Cross deserve to win the 1980 Record of the Year award for his No. 1 "Sailing"? Possibly. But was his album of the same name a more significant cultural touchstone than Pink Floyd's "The Wall"? Grammy voters thought so. Ouch.

As of 1998, the Grammy folks were still coming to grips with the notion that rap was more than a fad. Missy Elliott, Busta Rhymes, the Notorious B.I.G. and LL Cool J all got shafted in favor of the Fresh Prince, Will Smith, for Best Rap Solo Performance ("The Men in Black") that year. Having finally instituted a Best Dance Recording category in 1999, NARAS is still clueless as to what constitutes merit in the club community; in 2000, the prize went to Cher, who had been eligible back when they called the same award Best Disco Record; the following year, one-hit wonders the Baha Men ("Who Let the Dogs Out") trounced underground pioneer Moby.

But for a surefire laugh, the must-watch category is always Best New Artist. In 1979, Elvis Costello got beat out by ... A Taste of Honey. (Remember "Boogie Oogie Oogie"?) In 2000, country maverick Shelby Lynne looked confused accepting this Grammy. Small wonder: She had released five previous albums before critics picked up on the prizewinning "I Am Shelby Lynne." By Grammy standards, that's downright prenatal.

More on the Grammys
    Do the Grammy Awards matter?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    i'm still watching though

Yep.

As questionable as the musical taste of The Academy is in selecting the winners, their broadcast is always good for a couple of memorable performances.

The Police and Dixie Chicks will probably be among those that stand-out this year.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    I always watch for the shows.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    nominated for what has to be the 2 most different categories on the entire show :

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN NOMINATED FOR GRAMMY AWARDS

Bruce Springsteen was nominated for two Grammy awards: Best Traditional Folk Album , for "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions;" and Best Long Form Music Video, for "Wings For Wheels: The Making Of Born To Run" (Thom Zimny, video director and video producer). The 49th Grammy Awards will be presented on February 11, 2007.
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life