"rock and roll" Hall of Fame

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
edited December 2007 in Other Music
When did the "Rock and Roll" hall of fame become just the music hall of fame?

I fail to see the rock in Madonna, and half the other bands in it. I am not saying they are bad, just not ROCK and ROLL

what do you think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    at least cheap trick rocks. put them in now!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    It should simply re-named the "Jann Wenner Favorite Music Place".....seriously, the dude is a tool.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • hrd2imgn wrote:

I fail to see the rock in Madonna, and half the other bands in it. I am not saying they are bad, just not ROCK and ROLL

what do you think?

I totally agree with you and had the same thoughts and concerns. Madonna in, Rush not in... I'm not sure what that's all about.

So subjective. Like a Rolling Stone Mag list of best guitarists. According to whom? How to quantify? It's like the "World Series". According to USA Major League Baseball, the USA teams and a couple of cities in Canada near the border is "The World". I'd like to see a team from Japan call up and say, "dude, why weren't we invited".

R&R Hall of fame has become just that. Maybe I should start one and induct Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam and Rush. What are they breathing in Cleveland? Is there something coming off the lake? A lot of cows there?
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • hrd2imgn wrote:

what do you think?

yeah i know. and now they're inducting rappers. Grandmaster Flash has been inducted. so now Run DMC, the Beasties, and NWA will also get in. I like those artists but like you're saying, it's not "rock and roll." and a lot of actual rock and roll artists get in who really have no real contribution to the arts. take John Melloncamp, who is being inducted this year. yeah, he's fine if you like that sort of thing but HALL OF FAME? that's like A.J. Feeley being elected to the pro football hall of fame.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    any hall of fame (or museum for that matter) will never be all inclusive to cater to everyone's tastes. there will always be something or someone that you think is the best that will be left out. the sooner you realize this, the easier things will be. no offense.

and for as much as the rrhof gets ripped on here, everyone seems to get a hard-on when ed is involved in some way, shape or form.

i'm actually surprised that the beastie boys didn't get in.
  • Rock and Roll Hall of Lame

I think of all the artists that are eligable this year and Madonna and John Cougar Mellencamp are the best that they can come up with?

Were is Rush? The Stooges anyone? Iron Maiden?
    Yes, there really is a dog.
  • Definitely the lamest class ever.
  • alaskadude wrote:
    Iron Maiden?

yeah they'll end up waiting longer than Black Sabbath did. yet Madonna and Michael Jackson are in.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I was excited for last year (ie. 2007) what with Patti Smith, REM, and with Ed being on it, but 2008 looks like snoresville for me. I don't think I'll watch it.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    if you think about it, a museum is really about the furthest thing from "rock and roll".
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I can't wait for 2011.

SOUNDGARDEN INDUCTION
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    R&R Hall of fame has become just that. Maybe I should start one and induct Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam and Rush. What are they breathing in Cleveland? Is there something coming off the lake? A lot of cows there?

Maybe that's what they mean by "Mistake on the lake." ;):p
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,707
    ii44 wrote:
    I can't wait for 2011.

SOUNDGARDEN INDUCTION
    Don't count on it...but Debbie Gibson will probably make it that year.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    ii44 wrote:
    I can't wait for 2011.

SOUNDGARDEN INDUCTION
    I wouldn't bet the house on that one.....I suspect of that era, only Nirvana is a shoo-in......Yes, I honestly believe that AIC, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam will be ignored.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I couldn't believe what a shitty class this is when I saw it the other day. Madonna is not rock n roll by any stretch of the imagination. What's next, Michael Friggin' Bolton? Like with anything nowadays, (such as the Heisman Trophy) everything has a political tone to it or whatever you want to call it. Inducting rap artists and pop acts like Madonna into the HOF is totally ridiculous of course, but it all seems to me like an attempt to draw a little more interest. It's all shit in my opinion.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I love how The Ventures made it in this year, and Rush has still been snubbed yet again. F the HOF.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrog wrote:
    I love how The Ventures made it in this year, and Rush has still been snubbed yet again. F the HOF.

I am by no means a big fan of Rush, but they certainly should be in. Yet, real rock bands are locked out and pop puff shit makes it in all the time. It's like acts are considered "rock n roll" for their spirit and the whole idea of rock n roll rather than their actual style of music
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • I am by no means a big fan of Rush, but they certainly should be in. Yet, real rock bands are locked out and pop puff shit makes it in all the time. It's like acts are considered "rock n roll" for their spirit and the whole idea of rock n roll rather than their actual style of music

not that i disagree with you, but maybe what you just said is the reasoning behind it. i kinda see both sides of the argument, but i do agree that RnR should be the focus of the hall of fame.
  • JSBE wrote:
    any hall of fame (or museum for that matter) will never be all inclusive to cater to everyone's tastes. there will always be something or someone that you think is the best that will be left out. the sooner you realize this, the easier things will be. no offense.

and for as much as the rrhof gets ripped on here, everyone seems to get a hard-on when ed is involved in some way, shape or form.

i'm actually surprised that the beastie boys didn't get in.

I understand that, and I agree that you can't make everyone happy... But they should just change the name to be the Music Hall of Fame.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I don't give a shit how ground breaking or earth shattering people think Madonna was there is just NOTHING rock and roll about her. Ed could get up there and sing like a virgin in ice cream cone bras for all I care I'll still think everything in that place is a farce now(already did to be honest).
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    cheap trick!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,707
    brain of c wrote:
    cheap trick!
    Wow, regular size font.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • i think melloncamp should be voted out of the hall of fame for the "our country" commercial, the lamest, most overplayed piece of dog shit ive ever seen
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER