do an of you remember this experience?

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Back in the day when TOTD/PJ/Nirvana, Soundgarden were all coming out/blowing up. You bought this album Temple of the Dog not really knowing what the hell it was all about, and to be honest who the hell these guys were. You knew the guy from Pearl Jam sang Hunger Strike (at least you thought it was just him)

You buy the album, and you get home to pop in the cassette and as the first song gets going thinking, who the hell is this singing, this isn't that guy from Pearl Jam????

I laugh at how fucking stupid I was back then....rather uninformed. pre-internet when all the information wasn't there at a click.

I actually thought Eddie Vedder as the only guy singing in Hunger Strike
A few months later I gave it another try and realized that this guy from Soundagrden was the other singer, and not Eddie. Man I felt like a jackass to myself.

Ahhh the good old days when you didn't know or get all the tracks on a New album before it was released.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Back in the day when TOTD/PJ/Nirvana, Soundgarden were all coming out/blowing up. You bought this album Temple of the Dog not really knowing what the hell it was all about, and to be honest who the hell these guys were. You knew the guy from Pearl Jam sang Hunger Strike (at least you thought it was just him)

You buy the album, and you get home to pop in the cassette and as the first song gets going thinking, who the hell is this singing, this isn't that guy from Pearl Jam????

I laugh at how fucking stupid I was back then....rather uninformed. pre-internet when all the information wasn't there at a click.

A few months later I gave it another try and realized that this guy from Soundagrden was the other singer, and not Eddie. Man I felt like a jackass to myself.

Ahhh the good old days when you didn't know or get all the tracks on a New album before it was released.

Yeah i remember that fondly. It was great.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    intodeep wrote:
    Yeah i remember that fondly. It was great.
    It would be cool to reexperience that and rediscover the bands we have grown to love. Funny, it seems like only yetserday they were comingh out and now most of them aren't bands any more.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I miss those pre internet days. There's no mystery anymore.

I actually remember thinking Layne was the only vocalist on the Mad Season albums for a long time.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • larslars Posts: 524
    hrd2imgn wrote:

Sounds just like my experience
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I actually bought the album on the recommendation of a record store clerk without having heard anything from it. Hunger Strike hadn't hit radio and MTV yet. I had been browsing this record store for about an hour, just looking for something new and different. The guy asked me what I was into and I mentioned Pearl Jam. He asked if I liked Soundgarden and I said I did. He pointed me to Temple of the Dog. I remember popping it in for the first time, hearing those opening notes of Say Hello 2 Heaven, and thinking, damn this is great.
  • I also thought Eddie was the only guy singing in Hunger Strike too. Though I was quite young, and my dad would try to tell me Chris Cornell sang the beginning but I would have none of it! :p
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!