Maggot Brain is a cover by Funkadelic??

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I never knew this, always thougt it was an improv

here is a sweet you tube of them playing it live!
JUst skip through the first minute plus to get past his prologue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGgZm03tci0
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Uh, Maggot Brain is by Funkadelic. The song done by anyone else is a cover.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    J Mascis does a great cover of it on Mike Watt's album ball hog and tug boat.

I actually like his cut the best probably but i could be biased because i think Mascis does the ultimate face melters.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I often talk to someone who was in P-Funk, and I think I can get away with assuring you on his behalf that Maggot Brain is written by George Clinton and the late, great Eddie Hazel. As the story goes, Clinton said to Eddie, play the first half of the solo as if you've just heard your mother is dead, and then play the second half as if you've just found out she's still alive.
  • I often talk to someone who was in P-Funk, and I think I can get away with assuring you on his behalf that Maggot Brain is written by George Clinton and the late, great Eddie Hazel. As the story goes, Clinton said to Eddie, play the first half of the solo as if you've just heard your mother is dead, and then play the second half as if you've just found out she's still alive.

I always thought Bernie Worrel wrote that one. Huh.
    NERDS!
  • I always thought Bernie Worrel wrote that one. Huh.

Nope. He did co-write a couple of songs on the Maggot Brain album, though.
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    I saw Panic do it in Birmingham. It sounds awesome with Jimmy Herring. He is a face melter.
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • "Maggot Brain" the album is a must for every music lover's collection.

it's outstanding
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • "Maggot Brain" the album is a must for every music lover's collection.

it's outstanding

Agreed. Super Stupid from that album has unbelievable guitar solos on it too.

Eddie Hazel is easily one of my top 5 all time favorite guitarists. The live version of Maggot Brain on Funkadelic's Live at Meadowbrrok from 1971 is probably the most face melting version I've heard. Get anything you can find with Eddie Hazel on it.

I also agree that the J Mascis/Mike Watt version is pretty damn great. Bernie Worrell plays on that version also.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Maggot Brain (the original by Funkadelic with Hazel) is the single greatest guitar solo ever recorded.

Discuss.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Maggot Brain (the original by Funkadelic with Hazel) is the single greatest guitar solo ever recorded.

Discuss.

I'd have to give greatest solo ever to Hendrix's Machine Gun, but Maggot Brain is definitely up there.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    AndySlash wrote:
    Uh, Maggot Brain is by Funkadelic. The song done by anyone else is a cover.

yeah maggot brain is a cover Pearl Jam plays by funkadelic, the title was a typo
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    I saw them (George Clinton and the P-Funk Allstars) play this "Maggot Brain" here in DC last year. Man was my head spinning afterwards some 10 minutes of p-funking in CC. The year before they sucked but they tore down the 9:30 Club with ALL their hits for 2:15 minutes last November 06'.

I still has this album on VYNIL.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)