you may hate them, but they are fucking good to their fans too

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Metallica has free live shows on their vault section. Shows range from the past 20 years! Now if a band we all love just picked up on the VAULT concept.....

Lars may be a jag, but they are almost as good to their fans as PJ is.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I love Metallica. I don't think people wouldn't hate them half as much as they do if it wasn't for the Napster thing and St. Anger being such a disappointment.

I still say that One and Fade to Black are two of the finest written Metal/Rock songs ever.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    radio edit
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    just downloaded "Fixxxer" today from iTunes. that song rules.
  • sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    I love Metallica. I don't think people wouldn't hate them half as much as they do if it wasn't for the Napster thing and St. Anger being such a disappointment.

I still say that One and Fade to Black are two of the finest written Metal/Rock songs ever.

Agreed. Especially with regard to 'Fade to black' Metallica are such a different band to pearl jam. All their songs have always seemed like orchestrated and over rehearsed compositions to me (nothing else matters) which is so unlike pearl jam who i think are essentially a punk band (green disease)

That's just two examples.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Yeah... Metallica actually encourages fans to record their live performances, whereas most bands have strict "no taping" policies. That to me off-sets their stance on downloading.

I have a feeling that Metallica's next album is going to be strong as ever. They are one of the few bands remaining that have the potential to create hard-hitting masterpieces that can be loved by diehard fans and casual rock listeners alike. I am going to give them one more chance; one ass-kicking single/album is all it will take for them to convert those who jumped off the Metallica bandwagon after St. Anger.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Metallica has free live shows on their vault section. Shows range from the past 20 years! Now if a band we all love just picked up on the VAULT concept.....

tell that to the ones they prosecuted and jailed for downloading music.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    most overrated band ever IMHO
    the vocals are the worst Ive ever heard for a band thats so popular
  • larslars Posts: 524
    hrd2imgn wrote:

Hey, stop being personal!
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Metallica definitely bought into their own hype. It wasn't Napster that killed their popularity, it was just their own opinions of themselves. It's funny that now they have what they had in the beginning: a few die hard fans, and hardly any casual ones.
    Saturnal wrote:
    Metallica definitely bought into their own hype. It wasn't Napster that killed their popularity, it was just their own opinions of themselves. It's funny that now they have what they had in the beginning: a few die hard fans, and hardly any casual ones.
    a few?.....funny they can sell out 50000 at stadium concerts....all die hard? wow!
  • lars wrote:
    a few?.....funny they can sell out 50000 at stadium concerts....all die hard? wow!
    I'm comparing the fanbase to what they had in the early to mid-90s. They have a lot fewer now, and a greater percentage of them are die-hard. That's the point.
  • lars wrote:

They can't do that anymore, it's been years since they could.

And if they were good to their fans, they would put out decent music :)

sorry, I couldn't resist... It is coot that they put live shows up to download for free.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    They can't do that anymore, it's been years since they could.

And if they were good to their fans, they would put out decent music :)

sorry, I couldn't resist... It is coot that they put live shows up to download for free.
    I just went to one with 55000, so...
    ...and in regards to having more fans now than before, what did you expect?
    Metallica peaked 15-20 years ago, they just happened to be the biggest heavy metal band. Now they´re maybe not the biggest but they still have a bigger fan base than deftones
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    hrd2imgn wrote:

wow, thanks for referring me to this. free high quality downloads? from Metallica? maybe they're just trying to apologize to their fans for being assholes about the Napster thing and making them look bad (imagine if PJ did that to us!).

I really like the Nurnberg, Germany show. here's the site since no link has been posted: http://www.livemetallica.com/catalog.aspx?doVault=1
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Metallica are the greatest band in the world when it comes to starting a song and going absolutely nowhere with it.
    "It's all happening"
    Metallica are the greatest band in the world when it comes to starting a song and going absolutely nowhere with it.
    kinda like you posting a reply
  • Ummm....yeah.....Metallica is one of my favorite bands of all time. Forget the Napster thing....I mean, they were right. Someone steals something from you and I bet you might do the same. A local radio station around here has Metallica Monday's, which is where they play a Metallica song at the top of each hour. No other band, not even the mighty Pearl Jam, has that. But hey, I guess that only die-hard Metallica fans listen to the station.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Metallica is still currently the biggest hard rock band on the planet but that will change if Axl drops Chinese Democracy.They sort of stole the throne when Axl went crazy and disappeared but I hear Mr Rose might finally drop his album this year.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Even though St. Anger blew it's kinda nice to see a band continue to take some risks. They don't have a whole lot to lose if they fall flat on their face. I saw them last time they hit the States and they still put on one hell of a show (it was in the round, too, which is always really cool).

I really hope they someday get credit for standing up to Napster and being on the forefront of speaking out against internet piracy. It's really taking its toll on the record industry...someone needs to get innovative quick.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Metallica is still currently the biggest hard rock band on the planet but that will change if Axl drops Chinese Democracy.They sort of stole the throne when Axl went crazy and disappeared but I hear Mr Rose might finally drop his album this year.

I disagree....I saw them both together back in the 90's playing their full sets. Metallica blew the 55,000 @ RFK Stadium and blew GNR away too.

I'll remember when they played "Harvester Of Sorrow" and everyone went headbanging crazy, it looked like 50,000 mop heads the rest were getting food and beer.:D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• ummmm, yeah, they still sell out stadium tours. i don't know who disagreed with this earlier. they are an incredible live band. one of the few bands i make it a point to see every time they tour.

-PJ
    -metallica
    -rush
    -tool
    -NIN

and i am the weirdest person on the planet cuz i like st. anger. i like it a whole lot more after seeing them play some of it live.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    unless you simply don't like heavy music, I challenge anyone to listen to "And Justice For All" from beginning to end and tell me they are "overrated". and "Master of Puppets" and the "Black" album ain't shabby either. what is lost on most people and other bands is how Metallica walks the fine line between being heavy and being catchy/melodic. songs like "Blackened" and "Battery" are so fucking heavy and fast, but there is also something within both those that is melodic and catchy. that is something that Slayer and Megadeth never caught onto...being catchy as well as heavy. Anthrax got it to an extend, but not like Metallica.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    MLC2006 wrote:
    unless you simply don't like heavy music, I challenge anyone to listen to "And Justice For All" from beginning to end and tell me they are "overrated". and "Master of Puppets" and the "Black" album ain't shabby either. what is lost on most people and other bands is how Metallica walks the fine line between being heavy and being catchy/melodic. songs like "Blackened" and "Battery" are so fucking heavy and fast, but there is also something within both those that is melodic and catchy. that is something that Slayer and Megadeth never caught onto...being catchy as well as heavy. Anthrax got it to an extend, but not like Metallica.

slayer no. megadeth yes. i think megadeth caught on better than metallica, and as it stands i'd much rather see megadeth live now than metallica. metallica's first 5 albums were fantastic. and no doubt they will stand the tests of time. load was veryy ehhh, if that. re-load was 80% garbage, garage inc.'s old tunes were great, the new stuff was mostly shit. some was good though. still...not metallica standards. st. anger was the biggest disgrace of music i have ever put my money towards. terrible production, terrible vocals, terrible lyrics, terrible attitude, and just terrible music. after the black album, metallica went waaaaay down the drain. now, though "and justice..", and "master" may be better than ANY megadeth album, i do not think there is one bad megadeth album. risk was pushing it, but still not as bad as load, re-load, garage inc, or st. anger. megadeth have stayed consistant throughout, and only have been getting better. and much of the reason i think is because they do the whole catchy/heavy thing BRILLIANTLY. does st. anger have that? no. does load or re-load? no.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    g under p wrote:
    I disagree....I saw them both together back in the 90's playing their full sets. Metallica blew the 55,000 @ RFK Stadium and blew GNR away too.

I'll remember when they played "Harvester Of Sorrow" and everyone went headbanging crazy, it looked like 50,000 mop heads the rest were getting food and beer.:D

Peace

GnR was fucking bloated and out of it on that tour but they were still more popular than Metallica. Remember that Metallica went on first at all those shows. I've seen Metallica and Axl's new GnR over the last few years and Axl's guns blow Metallica away. All the crazy fucker has to do is release an album, which of course is a big if!!
  • slayer no. megadeth yes. i think megadeth caught on better than metallica, and as it stands i'd much rather see megadeth live now than metallica. metallica's first 5 albums were fantastic. and no doubt they will stand the tests of time. load was veryy ehhh, if that. re-load was 80% garbage, garage inc.'s old tunes were great, the new stuff was mostly shit. some was good though. still...not metallica standards. st. anger was the biggest disgrace of music i have ever put my money towards. terrible production, terrible vocals, terrible lyrics, terrible attitude, and just terrible music. after the black album, metallica went waaaaay down the drain. now, though "and justice..", and "master" may be better than ANY megadeth album, i do not think there is one bad megadeth album. risk was pushing it, but still not as bad as load, re-load, garage inc, or st. anger. megadeth have stayed consistant throughout, and only have been getting better. and much of the reason i think is because they do the whole catchy/heavy thing BRILLIANTLY. does st. anger have that? no. does load or re-load? no.
    Sorry, but I agree with the first guy there. I don't find Megadeth the least bit catchy when compared to Metallica. I think Mustaines voice is the weakest link in Megadeth. Hetfield's no Pavorotti for sure, but Nothing Else Matters is a testament that at least the man can sing. Mustaine's voice on the other hand...just makes me wish Cristina Scabbia sang the entire reworked version of A Toute le Monde.