Ryan Adams Down in a Hole AiC cover

thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
edited October 2007 in Other Music
he just added a new ep on iTunes with a Alice in Chains cover of Down in a Hole; I actually like it, it sounds a little different.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I've heard a live recording and I rather liked it. Ryan is great (though a bit crazy).
  • Totally owns the original
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    oh my.

can someone upload it and pm me the link ;)
  • Totally owns the original

Being my favorite AIC song and all, I was a bit skeptical.

But when I first heard this a few months back I have to say I was mighty impressed. It's not often that one of your favorite artists does one of your favorite songs ever, and it couldn't have turned out any better if you ask me.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the man has a gift. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • i saw them do this at a show a few months ago and almost shit myself because it was so unexpected. i didn't see the setlist from the night before and it was only the second time they'd played it. i love it.

check out the whole e.p. if you're a fan, it's full of greatness and it's only 5 bucks on sale at best buy!
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    cool, was kinda deciding whether or not to pick this ep up, but this could be a deal sealer. love ryan & aic, i imagine this will sound awesome
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    This whole EP rules, love the mix of songs. "Dear John" is one of my favorite songs ever, I was lucky enough to see him sing it with Norah in NYC a little while back.

Psyched for the halloween show at Hammerstein...........HALLOWEENHEAD!!!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    Totally owns the original

I dug out the AiC version after hearing Ryan play it in London. Having listened to both versions a lot recently, I think the AiC is the better one. Although Ryan's is excellent as well.
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...
  • the man has a gift. :)

indeed he has. great cover
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

do you not like AIC?

I heard this cover months ago and i thought it was good but i don't think it holds a candle to the orginal.

ryan is very good though and i like a lot of his stuff, but this cover is not as cool as the orginal in my opinion.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557

funny guy!
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    It's a damn good cover, but that has alot to do with how good the original is. The most glaring part that's missing is the classic harmonies between Staley and Cantrell. Either way, they certainly did it justice and stayed true to the original while throwing a little different feel to it.

As for the EP, the live acoustic version of 'If I Am A Stranger' is nothing short of perfect. Loved the song before, and the stripped down take compliments it that much more.
  • I find AIC to be a bit melodramatic in their sound. I think Ryans version is more subtle and bluesy.
    intodeep wrote:
    do you not like AIC?

I heard this cover months ago and i thought it was good but i don't think it holds a candle to the orginal.

ryan is very good though and i like a lot of his stuff, but this cover is not as cool as the orginal in my opinion.
  • cc10106 wrote:
    It's a damn good cover, but that has alot to do with how good the original is. The most glaring part that's missing is the classic harmonies between Staley and Cantrell. Either way, they certainly did it justice and stayed true to the original while throwing a little different feel to it.

As for the EP, the live acoustic version of 'If I Am A Stranger' is nothing short of perfect. Loved the song before, and the stripped down take compliments it that much more.

i agree about 'if i am a stranger.' i'd say the same thing for 'dear john.' both those versions totally own the originals. i can't wait to see them on saturday!!