RockStar SuperNova ruining some songs for me.

Explode to No CodeExplode to No Code Posts: 13
edited August 2006 in Other Music
It really pains me to see 3 Nirvana songs performed every week by these half talented singers. Courtney Love was getting her moneys worth with the show last night, a dude performed "Celebrity Skin' by Hole and completely buthchered it....not like it was a good song to begin with.

To top it all off, this girl completely disgraces Baba O'Reilly to close the show. Come on Pete, why did you give them permission to sing this song....now its ruined for the rest of us....its all cheesed out and our boys may not play it anymore.

Sign of the Apocolypse....when PJ allows their songs to be performed.
'had my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse of my innocence... got back my inner sense...'

Chic '95
Toledo '96
Cleve '98
Jones Beach III '00
Det '00
Pitt '00
State Coll '03
Cleve '03
Pitt '03
Bos III '03
Tor '05
Chic II '06
Cleve '06
Pitt '06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

not entirely sure on this (hopefully someone knows more) but i dont think the bands give 'permission' anyway.. if its being played live then it doesnt need the authors consent... i think

this is how millions of amateur bands (and some semi-pro/pro tribute bands) can do covers with their gigs... even PJ do cover versions and they dont have to ask for permission to do so... PJ even release some of these songs as part of their bootleg set-up...

so, basically, i think they can do these songs 'live' and bypass the normal copyright/publishing malarkey

any musical lawyers in here????
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • skipshotskipshot Posts: 33
    It really pains me to see 3 Nirvana songs performed every week by these half talented singers. Courtney Love was getting her moneys worth with the show last night, a dude performed "Celebrity Skin' by Hole and completely buthchered it....not like it was a good song to begin with.

To top it all off, this girl completely disgraces Baba O'Reilly to close the show. Come on Pete, why did you give them permission to sing this song....now its ruined for the rest of us....its all cheesed out and our boys may not play it anymore.

I thought the Nirvana cover and the Hole cover last night were bad, but the chick who did Baba O' Riley actually did a pretty decent job.
  • ya, penny royal tea was a bad performance. not that it's a great song anyways. i thought it was an odd choice. but celebrity skin was a good song. i don't think that guy pulled it off, though. those guys that make up the band are dorks, IMO. tommy lee is a waste of flesh.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Clubs/bars/nightclubs or the promoters for larger venues are responsible for paying music licensing fees for the live performance of cover songs. These fees are usually paid in the form of a blanket license, which covers all the music played over a given period of time. Bands themselves are not responsible for any such licensing for live performances. A lot of small bars don't bother to pay for a license and figure they fly too low under BMI/ASCAP radar to make much of an impact.
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    not entirely sure on this (hopefully someone knows more) but i dont think the bands give 'permission' anyway.. if its being played live then it doesnt need the authors consent... i think

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=3530426#post3530426
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • best way to solve the problem is dont watch it :P
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834

Courtney has always maintained that any money made from Nirvana has gone to Fances, it's not like she isn't capable of making her own money, let's not forget she has had two fairly successful albums (each selling in the millions) and has starred in some reasonably successful films.

I do however agree that they need to step away from the Nirvana songs, not one of them has done justice to the songs.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I thought the "Pennyroyal Tea" performance was pretty good-he gave it his own thing, honored the song but didn't try to sound like Cobain, which EVERYONE else seems to do and fails miserably. That may have been the only Nirvana cover I have ever heard that I enjoyed.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    That's the reason I don't watch the show. I like my music, and I don't want it to be ruined.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    I watched this for the first time this week. Oddly enough, the only performance I enjoyed was the guy who sang coldplay, which is a band I dont really care for.
  • I don't watch the show for the music oddly enough. I like to be the critic.
    I wish I could say..

"Hey man...Courtney Love would have kicked your ass if she were here right now. "

LOL.
    No need to be void,.. or save up on life,...
    Got to spend it all,.....

"Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music." EV

1-14-95, 9-04-00, 7-01-03, 5-30-06, 10-21-06, 10-22-06, 6-17-08, 6-22-08, 8-16-08 E.V., 6-15-09 E.V., 10-28-09, 5-13-10.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I agree...some of them have really botched up some songs....but then again some do a really good job. I really liked Jill's cover of "Alone" and loved Dilann's "ring of fire"
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i caught the chic doing the cover of jeff buckley, (eternal life?)it wasn't bad.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    kdpjam wrote:
    i caught the chic doing the cover of jeff buckley, (eternal life?)it wasn't bad.

that wasnt bad at all.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • almorvialmorvi Posts: 16
    B00000B9AN.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    i just watch this show for brook burke honestly.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17