Chris Cornell Dubunks Soundgarden Reunion Rumors... Sort Of

No_ones_rivalNo_ones_rival Posts: 385
edited February 2007 in Other Music
From Rollingstone.com interview about the Audioslave Break up

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/02/15/update-chris-cornell-speaks-about-his-split-with-audioslave/

Any chance of a Soundgarden reunion?

I seriously doubt it. If that were ever going to happen, someone would have to rally behind it. We ended on a great note. There is no unfinished business and no record to make and no more tours to play. I think that’s a great thing. At the end of the day it’s the fans who make you who you are. We can all be proud that a Soundgarden fan can always put on a Soundgarden record and not have to try and get some uncomfortable memory of a bad show or a new record in their mind. (laughs)

If they did call you and asked, might you you be interested?

I don’t know. It wouldn’t make sense to me, even to record a new song. I don’t see what that would accomplish. Going to a barbecue would make sense to me. We can talk about the whole history of the band and how much fun we had and see what everyone is doing now. To go in and make music together again, it can’t help but effect what came before that. We went out on such a great note. It would be really expensive to mess with that.
Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    Sorry, but what the fuck is his deal????????????
    That all sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Lighten up Chris.
    If that all makes sense to him, then why is he 'going back' and doing another solo career???
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • cornell is DEbunking these rumors.

and from what he says there, sounds like it just 'bitter' grapes.
    www.myspace.com/pitheory
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Why the fuck couldn't he just say it is never going to happen??????? I am sick of these Soundgarden rumors!!!!!!! It will not happen.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    A few months ago he said for the first time that he CAN actually see it happening at some point. He put a lot of hope out there. Trust me. That article is etched into my soul.

I don't know... I'm definitely not getting my hopes up (trying to go easy on my heart! :p the thought of this is TOO MUCH to deal with!) but at the same time...everyone said RAGE would never happen :rolleyes:...everyone said PJ would never play Europe again:rolleyes:, never play festivals again:rolleyes:. The list goes on and on. Unlike many others I firmly believe that ANYTHING IS FUCKIN POSSIBLE!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    He told Rolling Stone that the other members had not been informed in advance of his departure, and the press release was the first they'd hear of it.

I'm losing all respect for this man!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    He told Rolling Stone that the other members had not been informed in advance of his departure, and the press release was the first they'd hear of it.

I'm losing all respect for this man!
    Well, in the other interview he claimed that no one told him about the Rage reunion either. He heard about it ater the fact. So outsiders looking in that we are....(fill in the blank).

Relationships are hard work. Even the musical kind.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I agree with you on that primussucks. I think the way he went about this was fucked up. I understand that he wasn't told about Rage reforming...but this is him LEAVING THE BAND...the band BREAKING UP.... and he tells the press before THE BAND?? Seems really shady. Very dirty way of going about it. I worship the man to no end.. but that is undeniably fucked.

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • The fact that they are finding out via this interview (and he had no idea about the Rage reunion) makes it perfectly clear the personal dynamics of the band had completely fallen apart. i always preferred cornell solo to audioslave so i'm not bummed, although i did really enjoy audioslave's first album.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    hes an underwear model who performs in a white wifebeater in audioslave. Cornell - do something cool now! besides live the dream i guess.

New soundgarden would be legendary
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    pfft

interview is bs. So if soundgarden reforms he thinks that it will be a nightmare or something?
  • people are getting all excited with everyone and their brother reuniting the last couple years. soundgarden is maybe the least likely reunion. other than the original floyd touring. mostly because of matt, but have you heard anything from kim lately? i love all these reunions that give me a chance to see what i was too young for in the past, but i applaud those who don't jump on the "we can make 100 million more dollars" bandwagon. that said, i would still pay over $100 to see a reunited soundgarden play in seattle.
    Can't Touch the Bottom:
    10-20-01/ 10-21-01/ 2-26-02/ 12-6-02/ 12-8-02/ 12-9-02/ 6-1-03/ 6-2-03/ 6-3-03/ 6-5-03/ 6-6-03/ 10-25-03/ 10-26-03/ 10-28-03/ 9-1-05/ 9-2-05/ 7-13-06/ 7-15-06/ 7-16-06/ 7-18-06/ 7-20-06/ 7-22-06/ 7-23-06
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    when AIC played at the moore for a warm up and Kim joined in for a song ;p

so he is still floatin' around
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    not4u10 wrote:
    Why the fuck couldn't he just say it is never going to happen??????? I am sick of these Soundgarden rumors!!!!!!! It will not happen.

Because if he says never, and they DO get back together, people will come up with reasons to complain about him being a liar!
    :)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Sorry, but what the fuck is his deal????????????
    If that all makes sense to him, then why is he 'going back' and doing another solo career???

Its not "another" solo career...its the same one, just at another point in his life.

Geez!
  • thanks for the info on kim. he needs to be in a band, so he can shred. cause he can really shred.
    Can't Touch the Bottom:
    10-20-01/ 10-21-01/ 2-26-02/ 12-6-02/ 12-8-02/ 12-9-02/ 6-1-03/ 6-2-03/ 6-3-03/ 6-5-03/ 6-6-03/ 10-25-03/ 10-26-03/ 10-28-03/ 9-1-05/ 9-2-05/ 7-13-06/ 7-15-06/ 7-16-06/ 7-18-06/ 7-20-06/ 7-22-06/ 7-23-06
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    I agree with you on that primussucks. I think the way he went about this was fucked up. I understand that he wasn't told about Rage reforming...but this is him LEAVING THE BAND...the band BREAKING UP.... and he tells the press before THE BAND?? Seems really shady. Very dirty way of going about it. I worship the man to no end.. but that is undeniably fucked.

Without going into it, this isn't the first time that he's done something like this. Chris is a phenomenal talent and brings an extraordinary gift to the world, but he can be very eccentric in the way he handles things like this to say the least.

Rather than slag on him for it (even though I don't think it's cool at all), I'd like to think that he just has a real problem with knowing how to handle these types of things in a healthy way. Remember, the guy sees the world more than a little bit differently than most. Not saying that it entitles him to be shady and stick it to his bandmates...but a reality that produces the kind of art that Chris has produced is far from normal.

Couple that with what reads as an ego the size of the Grand fucking Canyon, and you have the makings of a guy whose actions (or lack thereof) can really be taken out of context very easily.
  • taratara Posts: 293
    Mohab wrote:
    hes an underwear model who performs in a white wifebeater in audioslave. Cornell - do something cool now! besides live the dream i guess.

New soundgarden would be legendary

did he ACTUALLY model underwear? cause that would be too funny
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    tara wrote:
    did he ACTUALLY model underwear? cause that would be too funny

No, but I wouldn't mind seeing that.. :p
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    A Soundgarden reunion would be one of the worst ideas in the long, sad history of bad ideas.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    A Soundgarden reunion would be one of the worst ideas in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

i will not accept that a soundgarden reunion is a worse idea than the one where the astronaut decided to drive 900 miles in a diaper.

now that was a bad idea!

as for soundgarden, i'd still pay to see them. but i just don't have any reason to believe that it's gonna happen.
  • i will not accept that a soundgarden reunion is a worse idea than the one where the astronaut decided to drive 900 miles in a diaper.

now that was a bad idea!

as for soundgarden, i'd still pay to see them. but i just don't have any reason to believe that it's gonna happen.

I should read this board more often, that's funny. I'm surprised no one mentions the impact on Pearl Jam if Soundgarden were to reunite. I've been a Soundgarden fan since 1991, and for me, the reunion just sounds like a bad idea, but I would attend that barbeque.

I saw Chris live in support of Euphoria Morning, and I am looking forward to the solo album. I never really warmed up to Audioslave as a band.
  • Sorry, but what the fuck is his deal????????????
    you kidding?

What he's saying makes perfect sense.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I saw one of Soundgarden's last shows. It was amazing. Their last studio record was just as great. They went out at the top of their game and I think that there is a lot to be said about that. I think that CC is right to sluff off getting back together. It sucks that a new generation of fans will never be able to see then live again but at least you will still have the records.
    Yes, there really is a dog.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    s_rockvam wrote:
    We can all be proud that a Soundgarden fan can always put on a Soundgarden record and not have to try and get some uncomfortable memory of a bad show or a new record in their mind. (laughs)

This how I feel about ALL these reunions, the instant Rage walk into a studio to record new RATM material all my respect is gone.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    If Cornell wanted to reunite Soundgarden...well, thats one thing. But I think Ben Shepard would have something to say about it. Wasn't it him that walked off the stage at their last show?!
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    when AIC played at the moore for a warm up and Kim joined in for a song ;p

so he is still floatin' around

Kim is an awesome guitarist... on the song "Get on the Snake" he tears it up
  • DOSW wrote:

wow. that is quite an overstatement...
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    it sounds to me like he is very contemp at where he is in life, i have no problem with no SG reunion. After all he is the one to have the writting skills i look forward to his solo stuff of the future it's all good .......man what did people do to vent when the BEATLES broke up at least we have these forums.......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • kim and ben can be in my band... if they want to. matt can stay in pj where he belongs cause he fits in sooo good and chris can do more solo stuff. people seem to like it. and then we can all have a bbq at my house. all are welcome. and they all lived happily ever after.... and then soundgarden reunited and we all died and went to heaven.