Options

Best non-PJ concerts last 2 years

cliff rockscliff rocks Posts: 4
edited May 2006 in Other Music
On the 'worst concerts' thread, a few bands were mentioned which I was considering seeing this year (Tom Petty, Chili Peppers). I haven't seen large rock concerts in years , but went to the Camden2 PJ concert and I am pretty jacked. Apparently, I picked a good night. Please list the best in-concert bands (that will be touring soon).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,185
    Well, not sure when they are touring, especially the US...maybe this fall..

MUSE
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Well, not sure when they are touring, especially the US...maybe this fall..

MUSE

I am seeing Muse this summer in Belgium and have high expectations.

Best 2 non-PJ shows last year were U2 and Thursday.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Rolling Stones (already touring)
    Tool
    Radiohead
    AC/DC

It really doesn't matter what bands/artists showed up on the worst concerts thread because everything about music and live shows is purely subjective. I wouldn't not go to see the Peppers because somebody mentioned that one of their worst live shows was a Chili Peppers concert. To each his own.
  • Options
    exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
    I really enjoyed:

NIN
    U2
    KMFDM
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    funkymonk wrote:
    It really doesn't matter what bands/artists showed up on the worst concerts thread because everything about music and live shows is purely subjective. I wouldn't not go to see the Peppers because somebody mentioned that one of their worst live shows was a Chili Peppers concert. To each his own.
    Well put. I've seen the Chili Peppers a couple of times and they put on a good show. They are no PJ, of course, but they are fun and that's why I'm driving three hours to see them in Portland.

Some of the best non-PJ concerts I've seen over the last two years have been Nine Inch Nails (top of the list), Foo Fighters and Weezer (both were really fun), and U2.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    If you get a chance to see them...check out The Drive By Truckers.

They're opening for the Black Crowes this summer, but I suggest seeing them headline a club show.

A lot of intensity.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    If you get a chance to see them...check out The Drive By Truckers.

They're opening for the Black Crowes this summer, but I suggest seeing them headline a club show.

A lot of intensity.

PBM
    I'm seeing them open for the Crowes in Auburn, WA on June 10th. Sounds like that show will kick some ass!
  • Options
    BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    The Decemberists put on a damn good show. I went and saw them at the intersection here in Grand Rapids MI and they had the whole crowd going nuts. It was one of best concerts i've ever been to.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    system of a down. 25th january 2005 @ hordern pavilion sydney.

very ably supported by rise against.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Any Black Crowes Show..Most notable The Filmore...
  • Options
    wavin_goodbyewavin_goodbye Posts: 135
    beastie boys
  • Options
    thesheffthesheff Posts: 59
    nine inch nails

really intense
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Jeez 2 gig out of the last year would have been easier.

I don't know I kind of loss track of time, sometimes I look at my stubs and see how long ago a gig was and it always seems less long ago in my memory.

Anyway I'll give you two from last year like I said that is easier.

Nick Cave ~ Pukkelpop
    Mars volta ~ Paradiso
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I've mentioned these guys a million times on this forum, and I'll mention them again: The Tragically Hip.

If you've never seen them live, you're truly missing out. The fact that they aren't more well-known outside of Canada is a total mystery to me. They're easily one of the best live bands on the planet, and lead singer Gord Downie is a tornado of energy. His bizarre stage antics and mid-song rants are a thing of beauty. I've seen them 23 times, the most recent being last Saturday at the Sasquatch Festival. As per usual, they blew me away. Here's the latest tour dates if anybody is interested:

06/16/06:: Pittsburgh, PA:: Three Rivers Arts Festival
    06/17/06:: Lewiston, NY:: Artpark
    06/18/06:: Grand River Conservation Authority, GRCA
    06/23/06:: Toronto, Canada, Historic Fort York
    06/24/06:: Toronto, Canada, Historic Fort York
    06/30/06:: Charlottetown, PEI:: Atlantic Festival of Lights
    07/02/06:: Milwaukee, WI:: Summerfest 2006
    07/03/06:: Chicago, IL – House of Blues
    07/15/06:: St Adele, PQ - Bourbon Street North
    09/15/06:: Austin City Limits Music Festival
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 177
    1.Ryan Adams
    2.Bruce Springsteen & the E street Band
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    the LIVE show i saw 3 weeks ago was great. . .saw collective soul 2x and they were awesome, now one of my favorite bands. . .green day was great, although the second time i saw them took something away cause it was the same show. . .system of a down, awesome. . .i know they have alot of haters on here but the coldplay show i went to 2 months ago was great. . .billy joel was very good the second time i saw him. . .i heard the NIN show i went to was great, i wouldnt know cause i got sick and passed out, missing most of it :mad: . . .audioslave/seether was a great show. . .shinedown/seether also great
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    smaller tours that I've seen in the last couple of weeks that were great Snow Patrol & Ministry.

The Snow Patrol show is simply non stop good songs & much more energy than would be expected.

Ministry is simply brutal live it is nonstop chaos & after a while you wonder if you will survive. Caught the 1st 2 dates of the tour & will see the final show in july.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• Options
    eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    oktacoma wrote:
    Well put. I've seen the Chili Peppers a couple of times and they put on a good show. They are no PJ, of course, but they are fun and that's why I'm driving three hours to see them in Portland.

Some of the best non-PJ concerts I've seen over the last two years have been Nine Inch Nails (top of the list), Foo Fighters and Weezer (both were really fun), and U2.

Yeah but their singer can't sing,he is bloody useless live,might as well get somebody out the front row cos you wouldn't notice any difference!Which I find kinda key to a decent live performance.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Options
    jodijodi Posts: 183
    Depeche Mode
    Muse

and

Placebo
    Alanis
    Metallica @ rockwerchter 2004
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • Options
    eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    jodi wrote:
    Depeche Mode
    Muse

and

Placebo
    Alanis
    Metallica @ rockwerchter 2004

Metallica!!-HE CAN'T SING EITHER!!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Options
    Counting Crows @ the Forum, London

Incubus @ Wembley Arena
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    eclectic wrote:
    Yeah but their singer can't sing,he is bloody useless live,might as well get somebody out the front row cos you wouldn't notice any difference!Which I find kinda key to a decent live performance.
    Intersting that you feel that way. I completely disagree.
  • Options
    I saw David Bowie on the Reality Tour a couple of years ago. He was phenomenal. Although this is something of an acquired taste, his voice was absolutely incredible.

With the exception of Neil Young and Bob Dylan, I don't think there is a 'sixty-ish' rock star out there with as much vitality as Bowie.
    I've got to admit, it's getting better.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    I saw David Bowie on the Reality Tour a couple of years ago. He was phenomenal. Although this is something of an acquired taste, his voice was absolutely incredible.

With the exception of Neil Young and Bob Dylan, I don't think there is a 'sixty-ish' rock star out there with as much vitality as Bowie.

i have never had the opportunity to see bowie live, but i do have the reality tour dvd and i TOTALLY agree with you. he is too awesome and at the top of my list. i hear he may tour again after chilling from his heart attack. (happened sometime during that tour?)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    NIN I'm sure would be interesting, but my wife is a BAC and would think I'm having a mid-life crisis. Counting Crowes are coming to town (and I like their music) but I can't stand the generic sound of Goo Goo Dolls. I don't like Springsteen's current retro cd and I used to see members of that band every Sunday for free at a bar I used to go to in the 80's (La Bamba and the Hudcaps) and I've seen him during his prime. Part of me wants to see Petty/Allmans but I realize I could be diappointed. Probably won't go to the Chilis unless I can get good seats.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm hoping to buy tix for the RHCP show on Friday. Anyways, the best non-PJ show I've seen was Aerosmith and Kravitz.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Nine Inch Nails

REM

The Mars Volta
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07