Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip

mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I have no idea how it took me this long to listen to this album. I am in absolute amazement. I thought he was a genious before. I don't know what to call him now.
"So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
"Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wow no replies??? jerry cantrell is amazing. degredation trip is incredible. better than boggy imo. its not alice, but its close.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Imagine that album with Layne's vocals on top of Jerry's. It'd be even more amazing than it already is
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • edved82 wrote:
    Imagine that album with Layne's vocals on top of Jerry's. It'd be even more amazing than it already is

While that would be great, I don't think it is fair to Jerry. My roommate was telling me about how Media Play was giving away this album when it came out. Now that is just wrong. This isn't some fucking bum off the street, this is Jerry Cantrell. I don't want to think what AIC would be without Layne, but lets have Jerry have his stuff aswell. This album is sheer brilliance, and is considerably overlooked.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    mwachsman wrote:
    While that would be great, I don't think it is fair to Jerry. My roommate was telling me about how Media Play was giving away this album when it came out. Now that is just wrong. This isn't some fucking bum off the street, this is Jerry Cantrell. I don't want to think what AIC would be without Layne, but lets have Jerry have his stuff aswell. This album is sheer brilliance, and is considerably overlooked.

agreed, and i love Jerry's voice personally, but its just that Jerry's music and Layne's voice went so well together. Plus, if Layne had kept his shit together, that probably would've been an AIC record. Great record though
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • The only thing that pissed me of about is was it was brought out as a single disc (which I bought) then as a double disc which I also had to purchase.

Fantastic album though :)
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    call him jerry.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    did you get the double disc or just the single?

The double is worth it. lots of great songs. It is how he wanted it to come out but that piece of shit record lable he had (roadrunner i think) did not let him. They did no promotion for him and stuck him opening for label mates nickelcrap ......

anyway DT is fucking awesome. That riff on hellbound is bad ass and the middle part where he makesthe guitar scream.... oh yeah that is good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I totally just bought the double-disc on impulse from Amazon marketplace. I hope it's good! :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Very good album but I prefer Boggy Depot just a tad it more. Is Jerry gonna do another solo album or is AIC + William Duvall the priority now ?
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    viggs20 wrote:
    Very good album but I prefer Boggy Depot just a tad it more. Is Jerry gonna do another solo album or is AIC + William Duvall the priority now ?

touring w/aic & will seems the priority. Not sure if they will record. I heard jerry has a lot of songs already down though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Degredation trip is an amazing album

I saw Jerry Cantrell in 2002, not long after Layne Stayley died. It was a small gig at the Glasgow Garage (Scotland) and he started off with some tracks from Boggy Depot and some of the new ones on Degredation trip.

Half way through the gig, he stopped in the middle of a song and walked off stage.

We were all thinking, shit, has he packed in? But, a few minutes later, some roadies came on and started moving things around, setting new amps up and the like. Then, about 10 minutes later, Jerry came out with his band and the vocalist from the support act (no idea who it was) and he said something like. "Alice in Chains only played here once and we should have come over again - so we think you guys deserve this" then blasted into 6 or 7 AIC songs.

It was simply amazing when the opening riff to Would? started playing...

I considered myself very lucky at the time...

When AIC reformed earlier this year, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Then PJ released a blinder of an Album and there was a real buzz about it...

These are good times...!

AndyC
  • My all time favorite solo artist...this man is an incredible songwriter!!!! Degredation Trip Volumes 1 and 2 made me piss blood the first time I heard it!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Amazing songwriter, great musicain. Degradtion tripi is a masetrpiece.
  • VortexVortex Posts: 8,772
    It tooks me around 3 years to know how good Degradation Trip is. Now i love it. :cool:
    If you follow every dream
    You might get lost