Silversun Pickups

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited May 2007 in Other Music
What do you think of them?

I think they're the NEW Smashing Pumpkins!

Discuss...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• they're one of my favorites.

they sound nothing like the smashing pumpkins (thank god).
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Smile_dad wrote:

Discuss...
    I dig 'em and am seeing them at Neumos in Seattle on April 13th. They opened for Wolfmother when I saw them in Seattle and they kicked ass!
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Smile_dad wrote:

Discuss...
    The new SM....God I hope not.

I don't like SM. Billy's whiney bitch voice gets on my last nerve.

But I like Silversun.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i'm really excited to see them next week w/ snow patrol.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Theyre Great, they have a fresh sound, i see thecomparison of Billy Corgan, but i dont think they sound like the smashing pumpkins.

i have seen their video on mtv , i jsut hope they dont become the next fall out boy
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • their single sounds similar to a sonic youth song. and the video reminds me of the video for that very same sonic youth song.

having said that, it's still a good song by silversun pickups and the rest of the album is even better.

really like this band.
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Really, really different and good!
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I can't stop listening to their song: "Rusted Wheel"!!!

It kicks serious A#*!
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    I finally get it!

I got this disc a couple weeks back. Played it a couple of times and then sort of forgot about it. I put it in again yesterday, and WOW! It's just so addictive. I'm groovin' to every song. I'm really diggin' this one!
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    they're one of my favorites.

they sound nothing like the smashing pumpkins (thank god).

they are very similar on the single thats why I think people say that... but very very similar on that.. the guitars especially
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    i seen em open up for wolfmother. pretty decent.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
    RockMan wrote:
    i seen em open up for wolfmother. pretty decent.

That's great... they're openening for SNOW PATROL. I have floor tix to the Boston show on March 28th. Should be good.

The reason I couldn't help but make the comparison to The Smashing Pumpkins is...

1) if you play "1979", then play "Lazy Eye" by Silversun Pickups...I think it's got the same feel.

2) Female bass player.

3) Same initials!

Kinda strange right?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    im intrigued. the album is pretty good so far. im curious to see them open for snow patrol next week.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    im intrigued. the album is pretty good so far. im curious to see them open for snow patrol next week.
    be sure to get there WAAAAYY early!! i did not realize that ok go was also on the bill w/ snow patrol for their show here. i got inside maybe 15 minutes after the time on the ticket. silversun pickups had already played...and ok go was halfway throught their set.

i knew i should have driven halfway across town to see their in-store at park ave cds...but no, i stayed an extra 3 hours at work 'cause i'm crazy :D
    anywho...enjoy the show. snow patrol was great!!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i like "lazy eye". dude can't really do the whole screaming thing though. love the guitar wash at the end.

i'll probably investigate further songs.
  • They are good but the suck live. I saw them open up for Wolfmother and the music was pretty good but they just didn't go together live.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I've just heard that one song....I don't know the name...they do sound like smashing pumpkins..the guys voice sounds like it could grate on the nerves though....I love the guitar in the song though
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Bought the album a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty infectious. I enjoy it quite a bit. I'm having a tough time cause I don't have to time to continuously dig the three albums in my chnager right now, mod mouse, arcade fire, and silversun. I need a Saturday to just sit around, samsonize, and listen to music. I think I can next weekend.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
    Caught 'em last night in Boston opening for Snow Patrol...

IMHO... They kicked ASS!

I only wish that OK Go didn't play at all... Silversun Pickups coulda used more time. They didn't get to play Rusted Wheel!!!

Great interaction with the crowd.

Snow Patrol put on a good show as well... one thing though...
    does every IRISH band that plays Boston have to say it's their "home away from home" because of all the IRISH in Boston?

Did U2 kinda fill them in???:

BONO (talking to Gary): Eh ladd... I'll tell ya... when ya play Boston, tell 'em that their ur 'ome away from 'ome!
    They eat that shite up o'er there!
    HAHAHAHAHAHA! Want another pint?!
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    they do sound like them, but i think silversun is better.
    i'm obviously not a sp fan.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    iamsampj wrote:
    be sure to get there WAAAAYY early!! i did not realize that ok go was also on the bill w/ snow patrol for their show here. i got inside maybe 15 minutes after the time on the ticket. silversun pickups had already played...and ok go was halfway throught their set.

i knew i should have driven halfway across town to see their in-store at park ave cds...but no, i stayed an extra 3 hours at work 'cause i'm crazy :D
    anywho...enjoy the show. snow patrol was great!!

im going to be there VERY early. the people im going with are as obsessed with snow patrol as we are with pearl jam. so they will be in line at like 4. ill probly be leaning on the railing.
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    like somebody else said the single is good and is perfect for catching people's attention, but alot of the other tracks on the cd are alot better. Rusted Wheel and Melatonin are my 2 favourite songs so far.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Just listening to the album now, they sound fantastic! They definitely have a Smashing Pumpkins vibe, particularly in the vocals and the fuzzy guitar tones. I can also hear a lot of Remy Zero and some QOTSA in there too.
  • never heard of them before i heard that they were playing with foo fighters and NIN at a gig in edinburgh... so i'm gonna see them live in august.

i'll check them out before then though :)
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Has anyone purchased their first release? Any good? I think it's only four tracks.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    The first release, Pikul, has 7 tracks. You can buy it at their show for $7. I saw them on Sunday night and loved it (it was a headlining show).
  • they are playing lollapalooza. they are one of the other bands i am excited to see.
    glad to hear they put on a good show.

peace.
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    They're pretty damn good on album, and pretty awesome live. I saw them on Sunday... Sea Wolf (opening band) was pretty awesome too... but Silversun, at least I think, was a lot better. I really like when the lead singer screams, it sounds really cool; reminds me of Billy Corgan a little.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    They're pretty damn good on album, and pretty awesome live. I saw them on Sunday... Sea Wolf (opening band) was pretty awesome too... but Silversun, at least I think, was a lot better. I really like when the lead singer screams, it sounds really cool; reminds me of Billy Corgan a little.

Also, in the Lazy Eye video pay attention to the way he cocks his guitar and some of the motions he does...a lot like what Billy Corgan does!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I enjoyed their set at Coachella...except for the fact that they were on the main stage; it seemed a bit large for the band, they probably would've been better suited for the Outdoor theatre stage.

Aubert has the "guitar-slinger-in-training" thing going on. Very active onstage, running from one corner to the other to play to the crowd.

Nikki on bass could use a bit of personality, though.

"Well Thought Out Twinkles"...brilliant.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace