Josh Ritter

rmnsf936rmnsf936 Posts: 58
edited January 2007 in Other Music
I picked up his album with a Best Buy gift card I got for Christmas, and what an amazing album. Definitely my favorite album of 2006. Thin Blue Flame is just an epic song. Any of you guys heard of him?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I've only heard Girl in the war but I love it. It's just a brilliant song.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I just did a search of the forum to see what people had to say about this guy and was sad to see he hasn't popped up too many times, so I thought I'd revive this thread.

I bought Animal Years a few days ago and have to say that I too think this is my favorite album of 2006. There's a great balance of rootsiness and acoustic guitar mixed with a full band. Over the last few years I've been looking for some good organic, American music. I find that much of the music I check out is terribly monotonous and too simplistic, or the singer's voice is too smooth or lacks any sort of distinctive quality that I can appreciate. Just because a person has a guitar and a soft voice it doesn't mean (s)he makes for a great folk musician! I was glad to find that at least for me Josh avoids those pitfalls. I can't wait to buy his other albums - I just wish I hadn't waited so long to give him a chance.
  • I don't have any of his CD's yet, but I saw him open up for Jamie Collum earlier this year and he was great. I'll have to check out Animal Years.