Phish and other Jam Bands

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Absolutely incredible band, although i could see how many PJ fans would not be interested because of the different styles. What are everyone's thoughts on Phish and bands like Umphrey's McGee, Robert Randolph & The Family Band, String Cheese Incident, and the Disco Biscuits?
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    I don't like them. My friend and I went to see Phil Lesh and Friends a while back (We had free tickets) and we left during the 2nd set break. Just couldn't take anymore 25 minute long jams.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    I've been getting into Phish so much lately.

I saw Trey on Tuesday night in Toronto and he was just awesome, I really do like the whole Jam Band thing....and honestly it's so intense when you're high. I'm not saying you need that to enjoy the music but when it's live stuff you're listening to it's 10X better high.

The musicianship in Phish is just awesome and I have so much respect for them and their jams because that's not easy to do at all.....to jam for like 10 minutes totally improvising and reading off eachother, then kciking back into the song....

I love it...

I gotta start to get into more Jam Bands though, I know the most Phish but I'm familiar with the String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, moe. and a few others.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think for the most part phish and other jam bands similar to them are great musicians, but it is just not for me.

Usually if i want to hear something jammy i'll listen to some miles davis. Thats about as jammy as i get.

As Said though i appreciate their musicianship. Tery in particular i've heard him play a lot of guitar and he is quite good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Phish is one of my favorite bands. In their heyday, when they were firing on all cylinders, it was scary how good they were.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Don't like Phish so much. Can't really tell you why though, cause I definitely love SCI and Moe. Its just something about Phish that I can't get into. Their studio work is ok, but I really don't like their jams. Can't stand bisco.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    http://www.ekoostik.com

i dont much go for the jam bands anymore. but the guys above are fucking incredible. i never really got into phish or the dead or widespread. the closest i get to jam band territory is the more hard rocking southern groups... bands like my morning jacket or the black crowes.
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    i like jazz music

inspired, improvisational music, is where it's at for me

then again, there's nothing wrong with a good 3 minute pop song :)
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Phish mp3 zip file. Enjoy.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/buvnm7
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    i like jazz music

inspired, improvisational music, is where it's at for me

Agreed. That is the way to go for me too.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    I can't wait for phish to do a reunion tour. They will and i would love to see them. i've been getting into Jam alot. The Disco Biscuits are a great band as well. Robert Randolph and the Family band blow me away. The one thing that really amazed me about jam bands is the drummer. The drummer has to sit there and drum for like 20 minutes or longer at some times. the drummers must be dead after shows.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i don't know why, but the only jam band i can really get into is the dead.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • burlapsackburlapsack Posts: 15
    I LOVE PHISH as much as PJ, i've seen trey three times and met Mike gordon last night at the trey mike and benevento russo duo show which was awesome. It's totally different from PJ but im a guitar player and i love trey as well as mike and stone.
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    I'm a pretty big fan of Umphrey's McGee. I've seen them 3 or 4 time, and they put on a fantastic live show. The album Anchor Drops is amazing. Check 'em out.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I'd say I was into Phish a few years ago. I have a lot of their studio albums and a few official bootlegs and I think they are an amazing band, however I don't find myself listening to them much at all, but I still think they made some amazing music. Maybe I'll break out a studio album.....I love Rift, Billy Breathes and Story of the Ghost.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i'm listening to widespread panic live, right now.
  • given2fly78given2fly78 Posts: 404
    I dig WSP a LOT, same with Strangefolk. I do like Phish but I don't dig the live scene. Went to the farewell tour in SPAC last year and wanted to punch those spinning hippies in the face, you gotta watch out for those out of control people! I almost got cold cocked trying to get to the bathroom! (and I'm NOT a violent person, i swear!)
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    PHisH is great!!!

I just went and saw Trey and Mike Gordon at The Hummingbird in Toronto this past wk and it was a great show!!! They covered Who Are You in total PHiSH style...it was great!!!

I saw Robert Randolph a couple of yrs ago and he was good, fun show....great live!!!

Allman Brothers, moe. Widespread Panic, Mule, String Cheese, RatDog...all kick ass and are all insanely good live!