Does Rick Rubin's involvement signify an artists peak in the studio?

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Does anyone else think Rubin is cosistently involved in the best album of an artist's career?
He did System of a Down's Toxicity. He's in the studio now with Metallica. he has constantly worked with Slayer. And worked with Johnny Cash on his last few albums...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    He is hit or miss.

For instance
    Red hot Chili Pepers-
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik=AWEOMSE
    One Hot MInute= Not so much
    Stadium Arcadium-okay

All the danzig albums He did 1-4 and they were all okay but they were not spectacular.

slayer- Reign in blood, south of heavan, Seasons in the abyss, christ illusion... Okay you got me here these are my favorite slayer albums he also did undisputed attitude which was not so good but the others are awesome

ACDC- BallBreaker Not even he could save them by this point (which may be the case with Metallica too)

Beastie Boys- Licensed to Ill.... some great work there

Tom Petty- wildflowers again some magic on this album

Rage Against the Machine- Renegades.. their weakest work

Audioslave- Audioslave- This was their best work but that is not saying much
    also did out of exile which stunk

Mars Volta- De Loused -their most focused work he really helped

Cash- all his work with him was good

So yeah He has quite a list of awesome albums but sometimes he can only do so much with a band.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Yes, he is hit or miss. He has had amazing work with the Peppers and horrid work with the Peppers. I like his Hip-Hop producing quite a bit though. Also, he single handedly ruined Weezer.
  • Here's a quote I recently read from a Dixie Chick, about him.

Nathalie says:
    "When it comes to the music, he's so sure of his opinion that you become sure of his opinion, too. And isn't that what guru's do? They know how to say the right things at the right time and get the best of you"

For sure he did that with Johnny Cash and Wildflowers(Petty) is such an amazing cd.
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • In general, I think he's able to really, truly understand an artist, the roots of the music they make and their strengths and weaknesses.

Yes, there are "misses" on his list, but EVERY legendary artist or producer has misses on their list. But when you judge Rick Rubin's full body of work, it's amazing. What he's done for many established-but-fading artists is nothing short of a miracle.

I just hope he has enough in him to save Metallica.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Metallica don't need saving, they just need people to allow them to grow , and not keep them locked in their box.
    I admired Yield, BInaural and Riot Act as progressive evolutionary albums that reflected the age and maturity of Pearl Jam as they changed from angry young men into contented, thoughtful older ones.
    The Load era was Metallica doing the same thing.

The Avocado album showed PJ trying yo recapture their youthful vigour, and for me personally, it tanked. I perfered the other approach.

ST Anger was the same. Had it's strenghts, but lacked too many of Metallica's strengths of melody and dynamics.

If Rubin lets Metallica continue to evolve, and not go for another MOP or Justice, then the next album will be great.
    I'm bothered that stagnation will triumph over evolution.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I thought this was funny. :) It's from the Rolling Stone interview with Mick Jagger.

"Don't Tear Me Up" (1993)
    Jagger recruited Rick Rubin to produce his third solo album, Wandering Spirit, after hearing the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik. "We had quite a few rows," Jagger says of the producer. "I respect his opinions, but when we disagreed I said, 'It's my record, I'm singing it, and it's my opinion that counts.'" Despite the tension, Jagger was pleased by the final result -- especially on this tender ballad. "All the instruments and the vocals sound quite close to you, there's very little reverb," Jagger says. "It's the antithesis of the 'Just Another Night' sound. The fashion swung in the complete opposite direction."
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Hes done some good work but definitely not all the best of the artists. Lately has been producing some real crap too (Linkin Park, Kid Rock, Slipknot, etc)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    the most disturbing point of this thread:

rage - renegades - "their worst work"

disgust.

but yea, hit or miss i agree with.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    r1vers wrote:
    the most disturbing point of this thread:

rage - renegades - "their worst work"

disgust.

but yea, hit or miss i agree with.

sorry i never liked that album at all.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I have read that he isn't real hands on and will just be patient for as long as it takes to get good material together, which is prolly better for most bands, and better for a band actually soundin like itself.
  • intodeep wrote:
    sorry i never liked that album at all.

I like it, but it's just basically a thrown together cover album. That's like saying "Into the Wild" is better than "No Code."
    NERDS!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    its a sign the band wants increased commerical success and more mass appeal

people hire him to sell records, not to make the best music they can
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Here's a quote I recently read from a Dixie Chick, about him.

Nathalie says:
    "When it comes to the music, he's so sure of his opinion that you become sure of his opinion, too. And isn't that what guru's do? They know how to say the right things at the right time and get the best of you"

For sure he did that with Johnny Cash and Wildflowers(Petty) is such an amazing cd.

Glad someone noted his work on the most recent DCX album. Most folks in this forum may not care for it, but I thought it was an excellent project, well-done all the way around.

Rubin probably had some influence in bringing Chad Smith (RHCP) and Mike Campbell (Heartbreakers) into the fold as guest musicians on the album, too.

I think the answer to the original question--more often than not--is yes. The next Metallica album will probably help to solidify or destroy that answer in my mind. I'm thinking they need to come up big with this one, thus the hiring of Rubin.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020